1/35 AIRFIX Austin K2/Y Ambulance

trickydicky210

1 hour ago, HL-10 said:

Time for "Ice Cold in Alex" dioramas!

Indeed!  🍺

(Having seen that film loads of times as a child, I now finally know why they called the truck Katy!)

• Like 2

Looking forward to this too! I built the Accurate Armour one some years ago and although its very expensive (at least now it is) it's a nice model. Who's going to be first o build it with the Beaufighter flying over...?

45 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

They will be seriously missing a trick if they don't give us the movie crew figures with this kit. 

ice-cold-in-alex-1958-002-harry-andrews-

Agreed!  Also, Eduard should do one of their Royal Class special edition reboxes of this - if any kit deserves to come with a beer glass, this is it!

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

They will be seriously missing a trick if they don't give us the movie crew figures with this kit. 

Agreed, but there must be a spare Sylvia Syms figure just in case of accidents.....

Dave

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

It's funny but I am rarely so excited about a new release as I am about this K2. In 2006 one of the first GBs we had on the ATF was an Airfix Emergency Set GB and I detailed the Airfix K2 to represent "Katy" in the film:

spacer.png

Sadly, my Katy was binned the following year but at least I can look forward to having another crack at a larger scale!

Dave

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, IanC said:

spacer.png

Liz and Katy...

This is the dio that I am most excited about.  I have that figure from SKP and have been waiting for the AA Katy to be re-released for years.   This is fantastic news.

• Like 3

It's been mentioned on here before, but apparently they used a 4X4 chassis on the film vehicle. 

I think you can see the transfer box in the post above by @trickydicky210

And, you can sneak a Land Rover in next to it. They did at the end of the film. 

• Like 5

I can't remember where I read it (& thus am unable to double check) however, there was something about Airfix using different colours on these early CAD renderings to denote different option / variant parts.  On this, I note that the rolling chassis & also all the bodywork / panels from the scuttle forward are all one colour, but the ambulance body is in a different colour.  I'm wondering if this means there are other variants of the Austin K2 planned?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

You know they won’t don’t you. ? Aftermarket may cover that though. Plus all the main actors are dead, so image rights may not be a massive issue. But then again... 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trickydicky210 said:

Intrigued by the Asian text in the bottom left hand CAD image 

I assume this means that the design wasn’t done by Airfix 

I thought all tool making was done by the Chinese, so an initial CAD from Airfix and then broken down in China. You never know though. 

1 hour ago, IanC said:

spacer.png

Liz and Katy...

Have you seen the picture of her under the nose of a B-17 ? Phwoarrr.

Edited by Fea
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Want them and Katy in 1/72 scale...

Please... ;)