1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Has anybody heard word of a Lycoming conversion kit yet? 

Quite a few civil Chipmunks here in the UK , especially for glider towing, and of course the current Portuguese Air Force Chipmunks use Lycomings.  I am tempted to do a scratch built conversion unless I can find an old 1/48 Piper or Cessna to cannibalise for a cowling which could be modified for a 180 HP Chipmunk.

• Like 1

I'm having a bit of bother the same as Andy Robbins with regard to fit and have ensured everything else is all correct. Also despite removing the locating pins on the wing halves I still get a bit of a downward curve but more to the tips... it give s a sort of down wash curve /shape.  It might need to be given some gentle heat treatment persuasion to straighten up.  The crew figure s are undersized too but doesn't bother me.    I'll persevere with the build and see how it turns out... hopefully like those that have been shown here already.

Hannants are listing a new Xtradecal civvy sheet for the Chipmunk this morning - X48226. No picture yet

de Havilland Chipmunk In Civil Hands (6)
de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk 22, G-BCPU, seen at Turweston, UK, March, 2012.
de Havilland Chipmunk T.10, G-BXGL, seen at Bournemouth Airport, UK, June, 2012.
de Havilland DHC-1 Chipmunk 22(Mod), G-BBNB, seen at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport, Netherlands, August, 1976.
de Havilland Chipmunk T.10, G-AOTR, seen at Compton Abbas Airfield Airport, Shaftesbury, UK, August, 2016.
de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk 22, D-ELLY, seen at Berlin Schoenefeld, Germany, May, 2006.
de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk 22, D-ELLY, of QUAX Historical Flight, seen at Flugplatz Bienenfarm, Germany, June, 2019. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, Andy Robbins said:

Mine’s arrived, but I’m seriously considering binning it if any of you want to buy it? I’ve tried dry fitting and can’t get the wing on. Is the centre part supposed to be raised? If it is, then that’s a start.  Without the cockpit in place the front sort of matches, but not quite. With the cockpit in place (and correctly located) the fuselage is too wide and the front of the lower wing is too narrow, so it’s forced backward because of the taper. I’ve got the main spar fitted correctly, so is not a fit issue there. The curvature of the rear fillet doesn’t match the fuselage fillets either. If the front seat is in, then the fuselage is even wider. If anyone can advise, I’d be really grateful. I’ve waited a long time for this kit. If not, then I’ll sell it to the first person. I would write to Airfix, but their standard reply is ‘nobody else has complained.’ If I can work out how, I’ll post pictures.

One thing I noticed with mine is that there appear to be ejector pin marks on each fuselage half at the front of the recesses for the cockpit tub. These were raised areas and prevented the tub from seating properly. It was clear that they would cause difficulty in getting the fuselage halves to join up properly at the front. A few minutes scraping with my hobby knife cleaned out the recessed areas and now everything fits perfectly, including the wing to the fuselage. I also removed the innermost locating pins on the wing and it seems the wings will be straight too.

Apart from those little niggles, assembly has been straightforward. 

• Like 1

I received an email from Hannants about  their decal sheets being in stock this morning. When looking at the sheets again, I noticed most of the 80’s red/white/lag versions have a note about the aircraft having the later Canadian heater/exhaust fitted. Is that in the kit?

11 minutes ago, Filler said:

I noticed most of the 80’s red/white/lag versions have a note about the aircraft having the later Canadian heater/exhaust fitted. Is that in the kit?

Good news about the availability of decal sheets, however there is only one exhaust provided in the kit and it’s not the Canadian option. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good news about the availability of decal sheets, however there is only one exhaust provided in the kit and it’s not the Canadian option. 
Cheers.. Dave 

As I suspected. Looks fairly easy to scratch though unless I’m missing something? A small inlet pipe in the front bottom right and cover the rectangular exhaust slot and stick a new exhaust pipe into that fairing?

• 2 weeks later...

After contacting Jadlam a new clear sprue arrived safely in the return post.

Excellent service, as usual!

I also purchased the 3D Kits World cockpit set too.

Looking forward to this build!

Rick.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/26/2021 at 9:54 AM, Filler said:

When looking at the sheets again, I noticed most of the 80’s red/white/lag versions have a note about the aircraft having the later Canadian heater/exhaust fitted.

I'd take some of the Xtradecal captions with a pinch of salt.  For example X48222 says WK642 of Cambridge University Air Squadron was "based at RAF Woodvale, UK".  RAF Woodvale is about 200 miles from Cambridge, that's rather a long way for UAS students, and indeed instructors, to go for a training sortie in a Chippie!  I suspect this was a summer camp, in which case the correct term would be "detached to" or "operating from" - they were still "based at" Cambridge Airport.

On 8/17/2021 at 1:40 PM, John B (Sc) said:

Has anybody heard word of a Lycoming conversion kit yet? 

Quite a few civil Chipmunks here in the UK , especially for glider towing, and of course the current Portuguese Air Force Chipmunks use Lycomings.  I am tempted to do a scratch built conversion unless I can find an old 1/48 Piper or Cessna to cannibalise for a cowling which could be modified for a 180 HP Chipmunk.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ipms.portugal/permalink/1266806410383078/

On 8/17/2021 at 2:59 PM, Paul J said:

I'm having a bit of bother the same as Andy Robbins with regard to fit and have ensured everything else is all correct. Also despite removing the locating pins on the wing halves I still get a bit of a downward curve but more to the tips... it give s a sort of down wash curve /shape.  It might need to be given some gentle heat treatment persuasion to straighten up.  The crew figure s are undersized too but doesn't bother me.    I'll persevere with the build and see how it turns out... hopefully like those that have been shown here already.

Hi Paul, Alpha Delta's picture of a Chipmunk from the rear puts the wing issue to bed for me. Like you I had reservations about the apparent downward angle of the outer wings and have been looking at all kinds of photos to see what was going on. A recent Aeroplane or Flypast magazine illustrated a crop dusting Chippie from the front at low level and this suggested to me that all is ok with the kit. Alpha Delta's photo confirms it for me.

Keith

• 1 month later...

Just to show it can be built. I really didn’t have any major problems with assembly. I noticed that Eduard has photoetch cowling panels on one of their sheets for this kit. They would be a significant improvement as the kit parts are clearly overscale in thickness; I guess you could thin the edges to give the appearance of a thinner part.

Granitecon 2021

Granitecon 2021

• Like 10

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in 2024

Box top art is the Irish Air Corps  No.168. Note no spinner which was common on these. Originally based at Gormanston ,north of Dublin.

6 minutes ago, T-21 said:

Box top art is the Irish Air Corps  No.168. Note no spinner which was common on these. Originally based at Gormanston ,north of Dublin.

The Irish Chipmunks originally had the "early" two-colour boss (Green and Orange), before switching to the 3-colour design. Anyway, presumably this rebox will include Irish markings. The placeholder photo for the 1/72 Typhoon (see other thread) is completely misleading.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, klr said:

The Irish Chipmunks originally had the "early" two-colour boss (Green and Orange), before switching to the 3-colour design. Anyway, presumably this rebox will include Irish markings. The placeholder photo for the 1/72 Typhoon (see other thread) is completely misleading.

The kit options are to be Irish, Portuguese and a red RAF royal version (presumably one that members of the royal family used during flying training.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

It was revealed as 'New Parts' so the spinnerless prop the only new part or are we getting the larger bore (cockpit heater) exhaust and modified lower cowling as well? Also didn't the royal Scheme Chippy have a carbuncle of an anti collision light on the canopy?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Aeronut22 said:

It was revealed as 'New Parts' so the spinnerless prop the only new part or are we getting the larger bore (cockpit heater) exhaust and modified lower cowling as well? Also didn't the royal Scheme Chippy have a carbuncle of an anti collision light on the canopy?

I hope to see the large anti collision beacon for WP903... The modified exhaust would be nice to see, however I don't think any of the new Airfix provided options had that modification.

Also, nitpicking, and I would be really surprised if Airfix caught this detail: the Portuguese built Chipmunk had a P-51 handgrip instead of the 'straight' stick usually seen... 

• Thanks 2