1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

On 7/27/2021 at 8:01 PM, Phantom Phil said:

The one fault I coukd find was on the set of undercarriage designed for flight i.e. the oleos are extended... One is missing the lug to attach the main wheel. Definitely looks mis-moulded rather than snapped. I'm not bothered as mine will be on it's undercarriage but even if not, it's easily fixed.

Thanks well spotted Phil.

Just checked mine and its missing on one of them too.

Will have another look in daylight to confirm then call Airfix

Edited by chrisov

Mine arrived today. 

I'm quite impressed, but like Chris and Phil's kits the wheel lug on one of the flight position legs is missing. 

Very pleased to see the little levers on the canopy are in place, they should be black on the outside and yellow on the inside, but they and the "D" handles on the inside are missing. 

My only question is which finish to choose. I am tempted by the Army version as Middle Wallop is only a few miles away.  But NOT in cammo finish, rather as WD 325 is finished as part of the AIC Historic Flight. 

Lots of photos here...

https://haaf.uk/chipmunk/#jp-carousel-500

• Like 3

Just got to the wing assembly stage on mine and noticed I had the dreaded droopy wing syndrome...

51346971915_c0c5926e68_b.jpg20210730_203437 

So, after a  quick bit of detective work  it would appear that because the tolerances are so tight, the outer leading edge locating pin wasn't sitting centrally in the top wing. The pin was sort of forcing the two halves apart.  Remove the pin and, voila, sorted.

51345949556_1d218c58c9_b.jpg20210730_210221

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 10

The undercarriage legs on mine seem to be fine.

I will contact Jadlam about a replacement clear sprue though, I'm not too happy about the cracked side screen.

Rick.

10 hours ago, keithjs said:

Just got to the wing assembly stage on mine and noticed I had the dreaded droopy wing syndrome...

51346971915_c0c5926e68_b.jpg20210730_203437 

So, after a  quick bit of detective work  it would appear that because the tolerances are so tight, the outer leading edge locating pin wasn't sitting centrally in the top wing. The pin was sort of forcing the two halves apart.  Remove the pin and, voila, sorted.

Same here. Thought I had a ‘bendy’ wing but remove that inner pin and it’s sorted. Looking forward to making this.

9B1F952F-B015-4B41-B920-69C8100FC0C4

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't going to get this originally but succumbed to temptation, the very positive comments in this thread (well the recent ones anyway...) and the offer of free UK delivery from the guys at Jadlam... 🙂 Having only pushed the button on Thursday, my postie is thrusting it into my hand this morning - oustanding service!  When I hear of the issues with postal services elsewhere, I think we in this country massively undervalue our Royal Mail and the dedication and commitment of the guys and girls who work there, out in all weathers. I personally have never had anything go missing, very very rarely late  or wrongly delivered and now quite often get prior notification emails telling me I have a parcel due and when to expect delivery - within a c.3 hour window.   And during the pandemic they have continued to deliver - other perople's experience may differ but I think they definitely deserve a "Pat" on the back! 

spacer.png

As for the Chippie - what can I say except perhaps: wow! Have to agree with earlier comments; that surface delailing is gorgeous. I think this must represent a new high water mark for Airfix and I hope sets the standard for future releases. I don't think anyone can seriously have issues with it. Fine panel lines; delicate raised rivet detail (I didn't see it on first inspection - but rather felt it first), recessed fasteners and great fabric effect where appropriate. Fortunately my copy of the kit didn't show signs of short shots, canopy defects or wobbly wings (have noted the mod required on the locating pins - so simple). So I feel can reccomend without hesitation - another superb kit and choice of subject by Airfix. Now just need those Xtradecals for an 8 AEF machine. Oh and perhaps a Tiger Moth to sit alongside. 

:goodjob:

Rich     

Edited by RichG
  • Like 7

14 hours ago, keithjs said:

Great and very handy post, should be a sticky!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RichG said:

Wasn't going to get this originally but succumbed to temptation, the very positive comments in this thread (well the recent ones anyway...) and the offer of free UK delivery from the guys at Jadlam... 🙂 Having only pushed the button on Thursday, my postie is thrusting it into my hand this morning - oustanding service!  When I hear of the issues with postal services elsewhere, I think we in this country massively undervalue our Royal Mail and the dedication and commitment of the guys and girls who work there, out in all weathers. I personally have never had anything go missing, very very rarely late  or wrongly delivered and now quite often get prior notification emails telling me I have a parcel due and when to expect delivery - within a c.3 hour window.   And during the pandemic they have continued to deliver - other perople's experience may differ but I think they definitely deserve a "Pat" on the back! 

spacer.png

As for the Chippie - what can I say except perhaps: wow! Have to agree with earlier comments; that surface delailing is gorgeous. I think this must represent a new high water mark for Airfix and I hope sets the standard for future releases. I don't think anyone can seriously have issues with it. Fine panel lines; delicate raised rivet detail (I didn't see it on first inspection - but rather felt it first), recessed fasteners and great fabric effect where appropriate. Fortunately my copy of the kit didn't show signs of short shots, canopy defects or wobbly wings (have noted the mod required on the locating pins - so simple). So I feel can reccomend without hesitation - another superb kit and choice of subject by Airfix. Now just need those Xtradecals for an 8 AEF machine. Oh and perhaps a Tiger Moth to sit alongside. 

:goodjob:

Rich     

I agree about Royal Mail , excellent service.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 6:24 PM, dnl42 said:

Hm, perhaps they're taking lessons from the US Postal Service, who favor nationwide tours of late, even when the origin and destination counties are adjacent. :frantic:

Bought a 1/48 F-106 Gunpack in resin a year or so back from a guy in California which was delivered within the specified time period but spent most of that travelling around the US with USPS according to the online tracking  LA - Chicago - Atlanta - Chicago - New York - Chicago where it bounced around a couple of different sorting offices before taking flight to the UK which rather put our local habit of local mail clearing through Edinburgh ninety miles away seem quite efficient.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, RichG said:

I think we in this country massively undervalue our Royal Mail and the dedication and commitment of the guys and girls who work there, out in all weathers. I personally have never had anything go missing, very very rarely late  or wrongly delivered and now quite often get prior notification emails telling me I have a parcel due and when to expect delivery - within a c.3 hour window.   And during the pandemic they have continued to deliver - other perople's experience may differ but I think they definitely deserve a "Pat" on the back! 

Well said Rich, and I totally agree. I've lately been using their collection service also - an excellent service indeed.

As for the Chipmunk I'm expecting mine from the big H on Monday. Sounds like I should be well pleased.

Terry

• Like 1

Mine arrived today from Airfix. Canopies are fine just missing lug on one of the extended flight oleos ,not bothered as i will use the ground legs. Detail is superb as well as the decal sheet.

Thanks for the tip on removing the outer leading edge pin on the upper wings.

Edited by T-21

6 hours ago, RichG said:

Now just need those Xtradecals for an 8 AEF machine

I want to build mine as an 8 AEF machine as I flew Chippies there between 1992 and 1997.  I think the Xtradecals sheets are earlier than this timeframe so I may have to do some more digging.

I received my kit at 12.55 today, delivered by Hermes, from Airfix direct

I have no short moulded parts as far as I can see, all are well and the canopy parts are excellent

However, I can see a bend in each wing part, Which, if I'm not careful will give that 'wonky wing' look

Also thanks to keithjs for his posting above about the wing

Question; Do I buy another kit?

Got one on order from AFX and will order at least a couple more. Saving the build for one of the new decal sheets from Xtradecal featuring WK630 of 2 AEF at Hamble in LAG and dayglo strips. Reason being I flew in this one so is very appropriate for me.  Glad to see there is an easy fix to the wing problem. BUt why didn't Airfix fix this after all the chat on the various forums etc.?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

I received my kit at 12.55 today, delivered by Hermes, from Airfix direct

I have no short moulded parts as far as I can see, all are well and the canopy parts are excellent

However, I can see a bend in each wing part, Which, if I'm not careful will give that 'wonky wing' look

Also thanks to keithjs for his posting above about the wing

Question; Do I buy another kit?

You’re welcome,…of course you do (or even two). I have 4 planned at the moment. The first being a civil one which used to be based at my local airfield. The second will be an Irish Air Corp one to add to the collection and then, if they ever come out, two UAS ones from the forthcoming Xtradecal sheets. Not sure which ones ones yet as there’s so much choice. Oh, there might be a 5th as I was lucky enough to have many happy hours in Michael Turners WP800, we shall see.

31 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Got one on order from AFX and will order at least a couple more. Saving the build for one of the new decal sheets from Xtradecal featuring WK630 of 2 AEF at Hamble in LAG and dayglo strips. Reason being I flew in this one so is very appropriate for me.  Glad to see there is an easy fix to the wing problem. BUt why didn't Airfix fix this after all the chat on the various forums etc.?

The chat only started on 28 May, two months ago. The entire first batch of kits had probably been moulded by then, as the shipping from India by sea takes several weeks, and there have been problems lately about getting shipping containers into ports and unloaded.

5 hours ago, Des said:

Bought a 1/48 F-106 Gunpack in resin a year or so back from a guy in California which was delivered within the specified time period but spent most of that travelling around the US with USPS according to the online tracking  LA - Chicago - Atlanta - Chicago - New York - Chicago where it bounced around a couple of different sorting offices before taking flight to the UK which rather put our local habit of local mail clearing through Edinburgh ninety miles away seem quite efficient.

I was gifted a box of bits from a fellow member that lives less than 45 miles from me. U.S. Post sends it from his Chicago suburb to New York back to Chicago back to New York to me. Its so bad here my post carrier wears pajama’s to work, refuses to wear a uniform and they cant touch her. I have complained several times but its always deaf ears. 

• Like 1

Usually when I build a kit in one scale in certain markings I don't do it again in another scale but maybe I'll break this rule

I did the Airfix 1/72 Chippie as one I flew the most but I may do this 1/48 the same

Chimpmunk%20WP860%2C%2004s-S.jpg

• Like 3

Following posts on here did a QC check on mine and it’s absolutely fine! The more I look at it the better it is!

if someone is building the in flight version the lugs on my extended oleos are fine just PM me and you can have them 

TT

• Like 1

www.dhsupport.com/archives/Chipmunk_Index_of_Modifications.pdf   Listing of all Chipmunk Mods.  H .104 introduced 22.1.1951 was for the extended chord rudder. H.231 was the fitment of anti-spin strake's on all military Chipmunk's from 26.8.1958.

The Dayglo stripe's and Light Aircraft Grey overall was H.293 from 24.6.1970. H.307 was the introduction of the red/white and grey scheme on 15.5.1972

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, Wez said:

That's one of my possibilities too, I flew in it at my first summer camp at RAF Leeming in 1979!

WD373 of 2AEF was my first Chippie flight also in 1979, WP840 was my last in 1982 both with 2AEF at Hurn.

I flew in WZ878 at Cranwell with my father in April 1968 !  he was glider towing at Swinderby,Hemswell and Spitalgate.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:31 AM, Wez said:

WD373 of 2AEF was my first Chippie flight also in 1979, WP840 was my last in 1982 both with 2AEF at Hurn.

Well that's two of us have a reason to build WD373. My last Chippie flight was in WD373 in 1994, also at 2AEF who were still based at Hurn then. Now without wishing to make you feel too old, I was born in 1979.....

Mark.