1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

And the photographs.....

The cockpit and instruments. 

The seat is a pressed metal bucket for a parachute.

This A/C has 4 point belts in black webbing. 

Conventional instrument pannel, simple enough, no fuel gauges, they are on the upper wing...

spacer.png

Magneto switches on the left, the long rod on the right is the flap control lever. Note the padded edge and the sad zipped bag on the RHS wall. 

This is the fuel filler and gauge. It sits almost 5mm proud of the wing.  

spacer.png

Note also the fuel tank vent pipe. There is a twin fitting on the other wing. 

Next the canopy, forst the outside: note the two levers to open and the vent panel in the roof between the clear panels. 

spacer.png

The same view from the inside....

spacer.png

Note the D handles: the A/C can be flown with the hood open, but is normally flown closed. The yellow levers jettison the hood by releasing the front catches, slipstream does the rest. The canopy slides along the center rail. 

Time to look at the undercarriage. 

spacer.png

The wheel has a 4 piston disk brake, the oleo strut has been locked in the "in flight" position, which is wrong for an A/C on the ground. I believe Airfix supply the leg in both positions! 

Now to the top of the leg....

spacer.png

The landing light is on the Right side only, it is 4" in diameter. The anti spin "Toblerone" ridges are pop riveted on.  they don't stop a spn, but make the pre-spin conditions very obvious. 

The next photo is of the rear fuselage...

spacer.png

Note the anti spin strakes and the very obvious aluminium "thing" just in front. I've no idea what it is: Ideas? 

There seems to be an insulated band about half way up. 

Now to the front...

spacer.png

I was going to show you the engine, but there isn't one.... a structure has been made to hold the prop! 

Some comments: 

The wings aft of the main spar and controls are all fabric covered, with zipped access points at various places. 

The rivets... some are large, others smaller and some pop rivets with a hole in the centre. Anyone feel like drilling those out? 

The A/C is available for very close inspection, inside and out, at Boscombe Down Aviation Collection. I'm there every Thursday afternoon. 

Let me know if you need a photo of a particular part! 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 10

The one fault I coukd find was on the set of undercarriage designed for flight i.e. the oleos are extended... One is missing the lug to attach the main wheel. Definitely looks mis-moulded rather than snapped. I'm not bothered as mine will be on it's undercarriage but even if not, it's easily fixed.

Picked mine up from my LHS today. 

wow. It is superb. Panel lines much finer than recent releases rivet detail is delicate looks like a quick build. Even has the correct internal windscreen bar as a separate part. The wings are fine!

gripes? Well I would have liked the yellow training bands as decals as they did with their Tiger (which were brilliant, they just fell on) and maybe the cowlings are a little thick but otherwise top job.

I think Matt Whiting did this - he who did the Blenheim- and you can tell

IMHO the best 1/48 surface detail since the late 90s Seafire 

they deserve to sell shedloads

ATB

TT

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Still waiting for mine from Airfix....

They took money on 21 July, the order status is shown as "Pending"!!

I have just got my "Kits World" cockpit panels and seat belts, plus "seat cushions". It will be interesting to see if Airfix has got the parachute style sets right. 

No cushions on RAF marked aircraft. 

On 27/07/2021 at 18:43, 224 Peter said:

spacer.png

Note the anti spin strakes and the very obvious aluminium "thing" just in front. I've no idea what it is: Ideas? 

There seems to be an insulated band about half way up. 

Its called a 'blade' aerial

1 hour ago, 224 Peter said:

Still waiting for mine from Airfix....

They took money on 21 July, the order status is shown as "Pending"!!

I have just got my "Kits World" cockpit panels and seat belts, plus "seat cushions". It will be interesting to see if Airfix has got the parachute style sets right. 

No cushions on RAF marked aircraft. 

Seat cushions are optional in the kit and marked only for use on restored aircraft kit option 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Mine has been sent out from Airfix a few days ago but it'll be delayed by about a week due to the UK Internal Customs my parcels now have to come and go through

Can't quite get my head round our brave new 2021 re-definition of nation-state but will you get hit for any form of tax/duty/handling fee?

On 7/27/2021 at 8:01 PM, Phantom Phil said:

The one fault I coukd find was on the set of undercarriage designed for flight i.e. the oleos are extended... One is missing the lug to attach the main wheel. Definitely looks mis-moulded rather than snapped. I'm not bothered as mine will be on it's undercarriage but even if not, it's easily fixed.

Looking at the instructions, 2 set of legs.  Compressed oleos for on the ground, and extended for in the air.

But if your kit is mis-moulded - return it to vendor for exchange.

Picked mine up today from Roxley Models near Leatherhead. Very nice, but the clear parts are quite poorly moulded with lots and lots of distortion. Is this a widespread problem or are other people's ok?

Jon

18 minutes ago, tonyh said:

Mine should have been delivered today, but Royal Mail mis-routed it and now I have no idea where it is.

i hope they know..... 

Hm, perhaps they're taking lessons from the US Postal Service, who favor nationwide tours of late, even when the origin and destination counties are adjacent. :frantic:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Picked mine up today from Roxley Models near Leatherhead. Very nice, but the clear parts are quite poorly moulded with lots and lots of distortion. Is this a widespread problem or are other people's ok?

Jon

Then they are good representations of our original! The front screens are good and clear, but the sides are somewhat distorted and wavy.... I'll grab a photo from the inside through the side.... 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jon Bryon said:

Jon

Mine look fine, but there's a small crack on one of the side panels.

Hmmm. I may try for a replacement, but it'll probably disappear under some Klear.

Rick.

• Thanks 1

Thanks. Since it's the front and rear windscreens that are particularly distorted, I'll request a new sprue.

I think Airfix do need to be held to account for their poor QC. These issues have persisted for years and I don't know why they haven't switched to a better quality source for their injection moulding.

Jon

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dnl42 said:

Hm, perhaps they're taking lessons from the US Postal Service, who favor nationwide tours of late, even when the origin and destination counties are adjacent. :frantic:

Oh have you been here… The U.S.Postal system definitely stinks. My carrier wears Pajama’s on her route.