1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Wow - four sets of xtradecal issues - when was the last time they did 4 for an Airfix kit? 

I imagine that the big H think this baby is going to sell like hot cakes!

Had hoped someone might do the yellow bands (like Airfix did in their 1/48 Tiger which were superb!) so I guess my diminishing stash of Trainer Yellow will need to be raided!

Can't wait for this one, have one on order with my LHS :)

TT

5 hours ago, Homebee said:

A bncht of decals sheets by Xtradecal

- ref. 48221 - de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 1 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48221

X48221.jpg X48221-2.jpg X48221-3.jpg X48221-4.jpg X48221-5.jpg

- ref. 48222 - de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 2

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48222

X48222-1.jpg X48222-2.jpg X48222-3.jpg X48222-4.jpg X48222-5.jpg

- ref. 48223 - de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 3

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48223

X48223.jpg X48223-2.jpg X48223-3.jpg X48223-4.jpg X48223-5.jpg

- ref. 48224 -  de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 4

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48224

X48224.jpg X48224-2.jpg X48224-3.jpg X48224-4.jpg

V.P.

Excellent!! However, one misleading caption I have picked up is that Cambridge UAS were not "based at" RAF Woodvale at any time - it's rather a long way from Cambridge!  They may have done a summer camp there one year.  Good to see a 5AEF aircraft included, that's at least two Cambridge birds in my future.  Oh, and WP970 on sheet 4 was fitted as a glider tug when it was with 5AEF in the 1970s, I believe this was also fitted when it was at Turnhouse.

On 6/23/2021 at 12:14 PM, Tomjw said:

Yayyy, Leeming and Shawbury Chippies

I went up in a 8 AEF Chippie, it was red/white/grey but can't for the life of me remember if it was at Shawbury or Cosford. One thing is cetain I wouldn't fit in one now..! :wink:

Rich

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released
On 01/07/2021 at 15:14, RichG said:

I went up in a 8 AEF Chippie, it was red/white/grey but can't for the life of me remember if it was at Shawbury or Cosford. One thing is cetain I wouldn't fit in one now..! :wink:

Rich

8 AEF were stationed at Shawbury, certainly while I was a cadet.  I was lucky enough to have many flights from there in the venerable "Chippie". 

Great to see this kit out and available for purchase. Now I'd love to do a BM WIP (ala Beaufort) for this new kit, however they'll be plenty built and presented by the time I lay my hands on one. 

Cheers and happy Chippy building.. Dave 

• Like 1

Tried to order 2 earlier, would let me add to the basket, proceed to checkout and confirm shipping details, but when it came to finalising the order couldn't do it. Seems there's something wrong with the web-site again, other people have reported the same issue.

8 hours ago, dnl42 said:

He knows a guy...

Don't panic! I haven't physically got one. They only said it was on it's way. Mind you, no telling when it'll arrive as it's coming via DumP it and Drop it...

I've also had trouble with the website again as it wouldn't let me change or add another delivery address.

At Boscombe Down Aviation Collection we have WD 321, ex Empire Test Pilots School. 

Sold in 1975, G-BDCC and written off after a hard landing in 1999. 

Superficially looking good but internally the signs of the very hard arrival are obvious. 

But I think I have to model the A/C as it is today...

spacer.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 224 Peter said:

Airfix e-mailed me to say it is on the way.... 21 July...

Waiting....

Thats good but if you're experience with DPD is like mine recently, I wouldn't expect it this side of the weekend....

1 hour ago, Black Knight said:

For those of us who do not go near face book could you please tell us about it?

Is is a problem with the wings as moulded?

A builder's fault?

A bit of both?

Well in the video Jonathan Mock has a test shot and basically shows that there is nowt wrong with the wings 

try the YouTube’s 52 mins in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQ57uXOzzA

TT

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

Well in the video Jonathan Mock has a test shot and basically shows that there is nowt wrong with the wings 

try the YouTube’s 52 mins in

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOQ57uXOzzA

TT

Very interesting, but he still didn't explain what the issue was to make them look like that? Or did I miss something? 😕

He said they were test shots  assembled for the photos and they have solved the problem for production kits 👍

mind you test shots or no as a modeller I’m still perplexed the guy who glued em together or who photographed em didn’t spot the banana wings!

anyhoo the stuff in the box should be fine which is what counts!

TT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

He said they were test shots  assembled for the photos and they have solved the problem for production kits 👍

mind you test shots or no as a modeller I’m still perplexed the guy who glued em together or who photographed em didn’t spot the banana wings!

anyhoo the stuff in the box should be fine which is what counts!

TT

Quite!  Still, all appears fine now apparently, bring 'em on..

• Like 1