1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Maybe my memory is letting me down as it concerns events of around half a century ago but sure that recalling my brief excursions with the AEF at RAF Turnhouse that at least some of the seat straps were a bright blue.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Des said:

Maybe my memory is letting me down as it concerns events of around half a century ago but sure that recalling my brief excursions with the AEF at RAF Turnhouse that at least some of the seat straps were a bright blue.

I don't remember any cushions either!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, zebra said:

There certainly weren't any at my local AEF at RAF Leeming and Teesside Airport.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Des said:

No, your memory is fine, IIRC, it's blue for the seat belts and buff for the parachute.

8 hours ago, zebra said:

1 hour ago, Tomjw said:

There certainly weren't any at my local AEF at RAF Leeming and Teesside Airport.

The only cushion I recall is the parachute which I remember as being bloody uncomfortable!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, zebra said:

and it was next to impossible to walk whilst wearing it

It was OK if you did the Chuck Berry duck walk...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 5/16/2021 at 2:15 PM, Des said:

Indeed so.  The black 5-point harness was fitted to RAF machines when they underwent a major refurbishment in the 1970s.  Before that it was a black or blue four-point harness, with the QRB on the left-hand lap belt iirc.  How do you tell whether your subject has had that major refurb?  Easy: if it's in the red/white/grey scheme than it has; if it's in grey and dayglo, or any earlier scheme, then no.  

On 5/17/2021 at 12:09 AM, zebra said:

Nope, you should have no cushions for an RAF machine, just the "bucket" of the seat for the parachute.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2021 at 9:26 PM, chrisov said:

Just had email from jadlam saying mine has shipped.

Unsurprisingly just had email from them confirming an issue with the software. Good news is 500 of their points to be credited to my account. Still down as expected June 21.

Edited by chrisov
More info.

1 hour ago, chrisov said:

Unsurprisingly just had email from them confirming an issue with the software. Good news is 500 of their points to be credited to my account. Still down as expected June 21.

I had a similar email except mine was for a Tamiya 1/48 F-4B Phantom.

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Some new pictures are up on Airfix's social media pages, looks like the dihedral is entirely wrong...

It looks to me like the wing parts are warped, hopefully nothing that can't be straightened out with a bit of hot water and a steel ruler!

It also looks awfully 'rivetty' to me, I'm really not a fan of raised rivet detail at all, never have been.....I see much sanding in my future.

It also looks awfully 'rivetty' to me, I'm really not a fan of raised rivet detail at all, never have been.....I see much sanding in my future.

I'll admit they seem (are) a little overscale, more ship yard than aircraft but the Chipmunk is a very 'Rivetty' aircraft and the texture is needed as a smooth Chipmunk would be equally wrong. However I may be slightly biased as I get to fondle (OK clean) two Chipmunks on a regular basis and all those rivets are part of the sensation. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I noticed in the comments on the Facebook page that Airfix replied to one comment regarding the wings with “I’m not too sure (what’s wrong) - we’ll have to look into it!”.

So maybe the release might be a bit delayed. I’m not an expert and I don’t have the affinity many do with the Chipmunk, but I can see what a lot of people are saying about the wings in the build photos.

33 minutes ago, Filler said:

I noticed in the comments on the Facebook page that Airfix replied to one comment regarding the wings with “I’m not too sure (what’s wrong) - we’ll have to look into it!”.

So maybe the release might be a bit delayed. I’m not an expert and I don’t have the affinity many do with the Chipmunk, but I can see what a lot of people are saying about the wings in the build photos.

Haven't seen the photo’s but could it be a bad mix on the plastic ? 

16 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Haven't seen the photo’s but could it be a bad mix on the plastic ? 

Could be I guess. Maybe they started out ok at the wing root, but droop as they head toward the wing tips.

Let’s all hope that wing issue can be resolved prior to full speed production. This has also been pointed out on Airfix’s Facebook page so hopefully they will investigate and rectify. 
Cheers.. Dave 

Could it be a build issue, or at least one that cold be corrected by letting the glue cure whist the wing is compressed on a uniform flat surface. One side at a time. That’s what I would (will) try.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, gavingav said:

there seems to be a problem with the leading edge of the wing not being straight

Might just be my eyes but the wing looks very warped overall.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1