1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Good to see this.  I'm undecided between doing a 5AEF example (former staff cadet) or - given my interest in reconnaissance types - one of the Gatow birds.  [Edit: Perhaps I'll just have to do two!]

On 1/7/2021 at 11:33 AM, Work In Progress said:

Both rudders, and separate anti-spin strakes I see 👍

I hope those seat cushions are separate parts, as in real life, or we'll need to make our own arrangements for in-service RAF examples.

Indeed so.  Also, the 5-point harness (Z-type iirc) which appears on the seat cushions was fitted during a major fleet refurbishment in the 1970s, and so is only applicable to the red/white/grey scheme, which was applied at the same time.  Before that, a 4-point Q-type with blue or black straps was used.

I also note that the UHF radio aerials (2 blades on the rear fuselage) correctly appear to be optional.  The VHF aerial (the alternative) was an antenna under the starboard wing.

On 1/9/2021 at 10:55 AM, Truro Model Builder said:

"And suddenly, it's your turn."

WP833 of No.4 AEF Exeter in December 1984 for me.

Do you think somebody would be interested in doing a 1/48 figure set comprising an AEF pilot (seated) with a staff cadet standing on the wing, one cadet stepping onto the wing and another cadet walking away clutching a filled sick bag?

I stand ready to pose for the sculptor to model the staff cadet - my fees are quite reasonable - but he will have to "de-age" me by a few decades 😉

On 1/12/2021 at 9:11 PM, Work In Progress said:

A lot of AEFs didn't have their own markings, just bog standard trainer markings, and were mostly sharing fleet with the relevant UAS.  WG407 of 9AEF /  YUAS was my first, in the red  white / grey scheme, but can be done easily from generic sheets., A few did though, 8AEF / Birmingham UAS in particular had some pretty ones in the LAG and Dayglo stripe era 

5 AEF at Cambridge had a winged Roman 5 in dayglo on the fin just above the fin flash.  Sadly I don't have any photos of Chipmunks where it's readily visible, but as pilots and staff cadets were allowed to display it on their vehicles, here it is on my motor in 1975.

01-Minx-Apr75-Mar76-Copy.jpg

Edited by MikeC
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, MikeC said:

I stand ready to pose for the sculptor to model the staff cadet - my fees are quite reasonable - but he will have to "de-age" me by a few decades 😉

Now come on. They can do a lot with computers these days but you're just being silly now. :wicked:

• Like 1

I never build 1/48th but my late dad flew these with Liverpool UAS circa 1957/58 so.....  A great choice by Airfix and it would look very nice alongside thier Tiger Moth.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Yes, very.

It's not a pre-war biplane.

True, but it is a trainer, so maybe they'll expand the scope.  We can dream, eh?

But if they are sticking to pre-war, an Avro Tutor would be nice.

• Like 2

On 13/01/2021 at 20:39, patjb said:

Fantastic picture  "Work In Progress" of the 8AEF Chippy. I can't believe it I have been trying to find photos of the Chipmunks I flew in, the first two were from 8AEF WB569 and WP859. My friend AMB who contributes to this forum sent me a brilliant photo of WP859 in the grey day-glo scheme as it would have been in in 1972. I am looking for any ideas of colour schemes of/or photo's of 8AEF WB569 in 1971, WK577 5AEF in 1973 and WK624 10AEF in 1976. The last I think was in the grey and red colour scheme.

First Airfix one will have to be in WP859 if a decal sheet to help appears (Xtradecal?)

Not sure if of any help but I flew in WK577:V at Scampton in 1969 when I was on ATC camp. At that time it was in overall light aircraft grey with dayglo strips.  Fotrunately I have a pic of it the day I flew in her.

12 hours ago, Paul J said:

WK577:V

That was from 5 AEF at Cambridge.   Iirc it was in standard grey with dayglo strips, the sliding part of the canopy was white, and the spinner was yellow. (Each of the 5 AEF Chippies had a different-coloured spinner for easy ID of individual aircraft.)  The 5AEF logo would be on the fin above the fin flash, see my post above.  I may have a photo somewhere, but no promises.

Edited by MikeC

Question for those knowledable in the ways of Chippies.

Was the UHF set fitted a PTR-170?

I need one for WZ.897 and I have heard that Chipmunks had the same set up.

On the blatant excuse that there are some nice detail shots in the advert, here is what is very likely the best Chipmunk currently in existence in the world, straight off total restoration and incredibly low-timed. You might think £135K is a lot to pay for a Chipmunk, and in one way it is, but I will guarantee you the restoration cost more. The engine overhaul alone is likely to have been £35K

https://www.ataviation.co.uk/product/dh-chipmunk-dhc1-0001-for-sale-at-at-aviation/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 02/02/2021 at 11:32, Work In Progress said:

On the blatant excuse that there are some nice detail shots in the advert, here is what is very likely the best Chipmunk currently in existence in the world, straight off total restoration and incredibly low-timed. You might think £135K is a lot to pay for a Chipmunk, and in one way it is, but I will guarantee you the restoration cost more. The engine overhaul alone is likely to have been £35K

https://www.ataviation.co.uk/product/dh-chipmunk-dhc1-0001-for-sale-at-at-aviation/

i strongly believe and would hope that WB549 goes to the RAF Museum as  being quite an historical airframe.  The next one along, equally important to the UK production,  WB550, is in Canada at the RCAF Museum Trenton Ontario.

On 02/02/2021 at 11:32, Work In Progress said:

WOW! That IS expensive (obviously, that is once incredibly high quality and important Chipmunk)! I've got my eyes on a Chipumnk share... they are actually quite affordable :)

55 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

:D I'm much too excited!!!!

8 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

I think WP962 does a perfectly good job of representing the type for the RAFM, and has a great history of its own It would be a shame to render WB549 a non-flier.

Agree on both counts. And as well as WP962 there is also WP912 at Cosford (at least until RAFM decides on another clearout).

9 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

I've got my eyes on a Chipumnk share... they are actually quite affordable

Thing is, you need deep pockets for a Chipmunk nowadays. Deep deep pockets. That's true of any Gipsy-engined aeroplane but Chipmunks have expensive airframes to maintain as well.  It's not like it was in the '70s and '80s when there were ex MOD spares everywhere and my group could keep one going even on a public transport C of A with no real financial stretch.

Buying WB549 in its present condition would probably be cheaper over 10 years and 1000 hours than buying an average Chipmunk and shelling out as you go.

I can't afford aeroplanes any more but even if I got good sales for a couple of movies I'd still be thinking in terms of a Vans RV-8 for getting around in and carefree fun flying with friends, and/or a Yak-50 for display and warbird-like amusement. Both of those are far lower cost ownership propositions, and the RV in particular you don't have to worry about leaving it out overnight or trying to find spares which are now almost dried up.

Edited by Work In Progress

On 1/28/2021 at 5:22 AM, NAVY870 said:

Question for those knowledable in the ways of Chippies.

Was the UHF set fitted a PTR-170?

I need one for WZ.897 and I have heard that Chipmunks had the same set up.

Re Chipmunk UHF sets the pilots notes state "Certain RAF aircraft are fitted with a PTR 1751 PP. Army aircraft have a PTR 1751BB".

Post mod H365 Aircraft are fitted with a 7000 channel PTR 1751.

I hope the information is of use.

G

• Thanks 1

On 2/5/2021 at 10:27 AM, wellsprop said:

WOW! That IS expensive (obviously, that is once incredibly high quality and important Chipmunk)! I've got my eyes on a Chipumnk share... they are actually quite affordable :)

:D I'm much too excited!!!!

If your interested in a share in a Chipmunk, make sure you do your research. They can get VERY expensive. Ask me how I know...

On 2/6/2021 at 6:51 PM, jyguy said:

Re Chipmunk UHF sets the pilots notes state "Certain RAF aircraft are fitted with a PTR 1751 PP. Army aircraft have a PTR 1751BB".

Post mod H365 Aircraft are fitted with a 7000 channel PTR 1751.

I hope the information is of use.

G

I obtained a UHF controller for 897 that was supposedly from a Chippy. Looks like the 170 and 1751 may have the same controller.

Thanks for the info.

Cheers