1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

I've just watched the video, that's the first time I've seen that film in (takes off socks in order to be able to count), 39 years (it's alright, I'm originally from the Isle of Wight), since I've seen that, it made me feel all nostalgic, I will definitely be buying at least three of these!

Edited by Wez
speelung
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 1/7/2021 at 12:30 PM, wellsprop said:

Some RAF Chipmunks were also modified. If this isn't included in the Airfix kit, I will be releasing it as a conversion. 

I didn't spot both the rudders and separate spin strakes - glad they are included though! 

Good job👍

I've just been watching the film 'The Great Waldo Pepper' on the gogglebox and this kit would be a simple modification for the Chippie used in the film (wire wheels and leave the canopy off). Converting Airfix's Tiger Moth into the two Curtiss Jenny replicas used for the film's crashes would be harder but not impossible

• Like 2

23 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

I did IGT and BGT on the Vigilant and one of my fellow cadets on the BGT course was known to be chronically susceptible to airsickness.  Until, that is, one of the instructors cured him instantly - by advising him to take a newspaper up with him and sit on it.  Said cadet did and, voila, was never airsick again, provided he flew with his newspaper.  Now, this is obviously a psychological "cure" but I was fascinated by it.  Did you ever come across this?

That was a technique used at 613 VGS RAF Halton.

We instructors developed a number of such phycological tricks; OK most were downright lies, but if they worked...... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Aeronut said:

We instructors developed a number of such phycological tricks; OK most were downright lies, but if they worked...... 

Did my A+B at Halton with 613 (1973), my instructor was Dave Sparks. Still got the tie!

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

That's great!  My experience of this was at 632 at Tern Hill in.....  1995?

On 1/9/2021 at 10:56 PM, Work In Progress said:

But I don't think more than half a dozen ever made it to Oz and it had no cultural impact there as a result.

Close. Several went to Oz new for flying clubs/schools, and today there are about 53 current on the CASA register.

• Like 1

On 09/01/2021 at 17:13, Aeronut said:

The beauty of the side by side arrangement of the Venture, Vigilant and Tutor is that the instructor could recognise the signs of an 'unwell' cadet BEFORE the cadet realised it himself. So we would try and get them back on the ground before the bag was used, Because believe me its not easy/pleasant flying an aircraft wreaking of vomit.

We were not always successful and any gathering of ex instructors in the bar will always have a conversation along the lines of "remember when that cadet threw up over the Adj". 🤣

According to my brother (late 70's) some unfortunate cadet threw up during the inverted phase of a loop, the vomit landed on the canopy and as the aircraft returned horizontal it slid along, detached and hit the instructor on the back of the helmet. Could be a Cadet Myth though.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, John_W said:

Could be a Cadet Myth though

Pretty sure it is a universal air cadet myth as I remember exactly the same tale from the mid 70s and passing it on at face value with much merriment. But it's not really how the illusion of gravity works in a loop, anyway. 

I remember my straps not being as tight as they could of been and on becoming inverted felt myself drop in to them and mildly swinging looking up at the houses! One of my lasting memories of life in a Chippy, not to mention the missing instruments with holes covered by masking tape! Can't wait to get a couple of these!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Continuing the theme it would be great to see decals for the College of Air Training  Hamble. I am also hoping One of the aftermarket decal makers will provide markings for the various AEF flights that gave many ATC/CCF cadets their first taste of flying.

• Thanks 1

A lot of AEFs didn't have their own markings, just bog standard trainer markings, and were mostly sharing fleet with the relevant UAS.  WG407 of 9AEF /  YUAS was my first, in the red  white / grey scheme, but can be done easily from generic sheets., A few did though, 8AEF / Birmingham UAS in particular had some pretty ones in the LAG and Dayglo stripe era 

RLD6X58.jpg

• Like 4

Fantastic picture  "Work In Progress" of the 8AEF Chippy. I can't believe it I have been trying to find photos of the Chipmunks I flew in, the first two were from 8AEF WB569 and WP859. My friend AMB who contributes to this forum sent me a brilliant photo of WP859 in the grey day-glo scheme as it would have been in in 1972. I am looking for any ideas of colour schemes of/or photo's of 8AEF WB569 in 1971, WK577 5AEF in 1973 and WK624 10AEF in 1976. The last I think was in the grey and red colour scheme.

First Airfix one will have to be in WP859 if a decal sheet to help appears (Xtradecal?)

15 hours ago, sinistervampire319 said:

Lot of cool schemes to do for this kit. Very cool!
Would be great if somebody does a conversion for this one!

20160620192442-191eeb11-la.jpg

Im looking into it! I've already got most of the 3D design data from the CAD and 3D print :)

Decals will remain an issue... 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Im looking into it! I've already got most of the 3D design data from the CAD and 3D print :)

Decals will remain an issue... 

Well that's really amazing! Liked your FB page. I will definitely get one (at least) from you.
If you can figure out Art Scholl's markings that would be some very colorful markings and a fitting tribute to him. 

Cheers!

Alan

On 1/12/2021 at 6:05 PM, Homebee said:

Apart from Prince Charles' Chippie and the civil one, these are not much different from the decals in the kit. Needs some colourful grey & dayglo UAS and AEF schemes like on the Model Art 1/72 decal sheet 72/076  https://www.modartdec.com/mads-172.html 

How about a CFS " Skylarks" Aerobatic Team Chipmunk or one from the RAF College, Cranwell?

Edited by AMB
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, patjb said:

Fantastic picture  "Work In Progress" of the 8AEF Chippy. I can't believe it I have been trying to find photos of the Chipmunks I flew in, the first two were from 8AEF WB569 and WP859. My friend AMB who contributes to this forum sent me a brilliant photo of WP859 in the grey day-glo scheme as it would have been in in 1972. I am looking for any ideas of colour schemes of/or photo's of 8AEF WB569 in 1971,

WB569 was my Chipmunk of choice at 1AEF Manston between 1973 and ‘78.  She was the oldest Chippie on the station (c/n C-1/021).  One Friday I was walking out with another cadet to the waiting pair, ‘569 and WP501, and was given first choice of aeroplane. Having plumped for ‘569 my accompanying linety commented “Good choice, the other one’s a flying FOD-trap, she’s just back off overhaul.”  Recently she’s been based with ARCo at Duxford wearing the early silver colour scheme but with the two blues Cranwell rear fuselage band which would make an attractive variation on the theme.

On 12/01/2021 at 21:11, Work In Progress said:

A lot of AEFs didn't have their own markings, just bog standard trainer markings, and were mostly sharing fleet with the relevant UAS.  WG407 of 9AEF /  YUAS was my first, in the red  white / grey scheme, but can be done easily from generic sheets., A few did though, 8AEF / Birmingham UAS in particular had some pretty ones in the LAG and Dayglo stripe era 

RLD6X58.jpg

Great colour scheme that, I notice the spinner is light blue with a yellow band, also note that the canopy framing is white.

It also looks like it has a glider tug bracket fitted.