1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Weird init! To me the leading edges look straight but the wings themselves sag from about half span position, whether that's down to the build or the kit production, who knows? If it was warping in the molds the wing halves would want to spread in opposite directions.

• Like 2

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - box art+3D renders+schemes+sprues+test build - release Summer 2021

Yep... well... I'm pretty sure they suggested they would be selling (actually putting production kits in hands) a Vulcan kit which is... where...? So the amount of breath ill be holding for their amazing looking Chipmunk is... probably close to zero bar.

On 5/29/2021 at 8:10 AM, Filler said:

I noticed in the comments on the Facebook page that Airfix replied to one comment regarding the wings with “I’m not too sure (what’s wrong) - we’ll have to look into it!”.

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

Yep... well... I'm pretty sure they suggested they would be selling (actually putting production kits in hands) a Vulcan kit which is... where...? So the amount of breath ill be holding for their amazing looking Chipmunk is... probably close to zero bar.

1 hour ago, Nocoolname said:

I much prefer Hobby Boss and Meng's approach  - announce a kit - then 'actually release it' a few months later or at least maintain Good comms with consumer base.

Delays can be frustrating alright, but I'd rather the kit was delayed while Airfix 'look into' - and hopefully resolve - the apparent issue with the wings, as opposed to issuing a kit with a problem.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, hopkp said:

Delays can be frustrating alright, but I'd rather the kit was delayed while Airfix 'look into' - and hopefully resolve - the apparent issue with the wings, as opposed to issuing a kit with a problem.

Hear hear. That was very disappointing to see, even more so when the droopy wing syndrome was pointed it out on social media and Airfix said "Oh, we'll get someone to look into that"...

• Thanks 1

That saggy looking wing is real bad! Such a disappointment. Sincerely hope it's sorted before release. I'm happy to wait a bit longer for it rather than have something of a caricature.

• Like 2

Disappointed as I've been looking forward to this since its announcement. Might it be something that can be corrected with a bowl of hot water and bit of bending? - hope so! Still got two on pre order. Apart from the saggy wings the rest of the model looks lovely.

What I don’t understand is that it isn’t just bent it’s warped (compare LE and TE on wings) I don’t suppose it could have been a by product of touching up or tweaking the photos? It looks like they have been enhanced?  

Either that or Paramjit needs to take more water with it! 

TT

6 hours ago, Black Knight said:

Forget the wonky wings, it appears Airfix has left out the supply of barf bags in their holder in the rear cockpit!

Rumour has it that they have been left to the after market etch brass suppliers with the choice of empty or filled. 😉

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, gavingav said:

This is the telling picture

spacer.png

That looks  sooooo bad!  Nicely built but you would have thought the warping would have been noticed during the building???!!!!  Maybe its been taken out of the mould too soon.   Just hope when we get our hands on them they will be perfect.  

• Like 1

On 6/2/2021 at 9:02 PM, Paul J said:

Maybe its been taken out of the mould too soon.   Just hope when we get our hands on them they will be perfect.  

I agree Paul. It seems to me very unlikely that the kit was designed this way or that if it were a fault the design team would not have picked this up at the early test shot / pre production stage. As has already been said there is another build of the kit in Airfix Model World and which does not seem to have a "droopy wing".  

I think a much more likely explanation is that this is a problem with those particular kits and that the wing sprues are warped. I had a similar problem with an Airfix Phantom. I didn't notice it at first until I tried to fit the cockpit tub into the fuselage and no way would it fit - having built the kit previously I knew something was not right. Closer examination of the sprue showed it looked fine from the top but the entire sprue had a wierd "s" shape when viewed from the side. This may account for what looks like variable "droopiness" on the wing and between the kits and also any dihedral issue (as the lower wing is a single moulding).

Anyway hopefully it’s a QC issue rather than something fundamental. Bit of an own goal for Airfix I grant you, but fingers crossed production kits will be OK.

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Like 1

the sprue shots looks fine too. I wondered whether it could be photo distortion when they photoshopped them or hell even hot lamps when they were snapped. Paramjit seems like a good modeller would be odd not to catch this- twice! 

TT

Edited by TEXANTOMCAT
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

the sprue shots looks fine too. I wondered whether it could be photo distortion when they photoshopped them or hell even hot lamps when they were snapped. Parmajit seems like a good modeller would be odd not to catch this- twice! 

TT

Could be.  Otherwise a longer delay of the release date is looming.

• Like 1

I suspect it's a problem with the photo(s) - some sort of weird effect due to the lens used to get up close and personal. Although, to quote the late Murray Walker, "unless I am very much mistaken - and I AM very much mistaken ...".

• Like 1

I suspect Parmajit is an anonymous BM member, so perhaps the real 'Parmajit' can raise his hand and put this "Floppy Wing" theory to bed once and for all. 

If it's going to be delayed for tooling rectification or its just photo distortion, please let us know. We will all be talking about Vulcan's soon enough anyway so that will fill in the time. 

Cheers and regards.. Dave 

1 hour ago, Admiral Puff said:

I suspect it's a problem with the photo(s) - some sort of weird effect due to the lens used to get up close and personal. 

I'm no expert with photography and the finer points of lens technology but I find that very hard to believe!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

I'm no expert with photography and the finer points of lens technology but I find that very hard to believe!

Neither am I, so I referred the picture to the oracle - the Technical Editor of Photo Review Australia, who happens to be Big Sister. She says:

"I can’t see any photographic reason for the bend in the wing – but there’s no metadata with the image so I can’t see what lens the pic was taken with. It certainly wasn’t taken with a fish-eye or even a relatively wide-angle lens . My gut feeling tells me someone introduced the bend post capture. If the original aircraft from which the kit was modelled had perfectly straight wings, surely that’s how they should be? Do you have any way to find out?

"FYI it’s relatively easy for someone who is familiar with Photoshop to create a bend like this. So the question should be WHY? Marketing? (It looks like a pack shot)"

So- it looks like it's not a camera thing, It comes back, then, to her question - why would Airfix do this? A dud moulding, or just some good, old fashioned cack-handed modelling? (Mind you, you'd have to try very hard to build a curve like that into a wing that's supposed to be straight from root to tip ...)

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

A bncht of decals sheets by Xtradecal

- ref. 48221 - de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 1 

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48221

X48221.jpg X48221-2.jpg X48221-3.jpg X48221-4.jpg X48221-5.jpg

- ref. 48222 - de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 2

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48222

X48222-1.jpg X48222-2.jpg X48222-3.jpg X48222-4.jpg X48222-5.jpg

- ref. 48223 - de Havilland Chipmunk In Military Service Part 3

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48223

X48223.jpg X48223-2.jpg X48223-3.jpg X48223-4.jpg X48223-5.jpg