1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

1 hour ago, 71chally said:

A 48th Chipmunk, from Airfix, this is absolutely superb news!

Hopefully they will go their Gnat route and do a 72nd scale version aswel.

I really hope you are right, but if I recall correctly Airfix only scale up their 1/72 kits to 1/48 and not the other way around (the 1/48 Gnat came after the 1/72). If they continue with this approach, much as I am pleased for the 1/48 modellers and hope this sells well for Airfix, I fear this announcement means we won't see a new 1/72 version from Airfix. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Coombs said:

So, first a Tiger Moth and now a Chipmunk. Does this mean we could expect a Bulldog in the next year or so?

(And yes, I am aware of the Tarangus kits)

...and a Percival Provost, too? (Yes, I am aware of the MicroMir kits)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Both rudders, and separate anti-spin strakes I see 👍

I hope those seat cushions are separate parts, as in real life, or we'll need to make our own arrangements for in-service RAF examples.

When I flew in them with the ATC the cushions were the parachutes!

• Like 7

I hope they have correctly captured the spelling mistake on the canopy. 😉  The transfer (yes its official parts description is 'Transfer') used reads "EMERGENCEY RESCUE OTHER SIDE" 😜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

That's exactly the point. I've never flown a military Chipmunk fitted with seat cushions, because the military seat-pack parachute fits into the bucket recess. However, I've never flown a civilian one that didn't have seat cushions. So if the cushions are separate pieces then we are okay...  otherwise if it's done as a solid unit we need two sets of seats or will have to make our own empty bucket seats for RAF service aircraft.

Edited by Work In Progress

2 hours ago, Paul J said:

Serge battledress uniform irrespective of season or weather , cloth flying helmet with RT , life-jacket , parachute and out over the Forth Bridges with a choice of aerobatics or flying the aircraft over Loch Leven after a brief safety demo on the fuselage that they kept in the building opposite the flight hut at RAF Turnhouse.      Recall being told a few years back that current AEF rules on the Grob are rather more demanding regarding safety equipment and that overflying bodies of water is strictly taboo.

Certainly looking forward to the kit and possibly an aftermarket sheet with all those dayglo strips from my time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Delighted to see this on Airfix's list this morning. 

I've just worked out that I'll be able to build WB697,  in which I enjoyed and AEF on 17 Sept 1977.

That day was unique, as I actually had two flights, the first in WP974, the second in WB697    (and could build either).

The second flight was piloted by F/O Pete Shepherd, who just happend to be a teacher at my school in his day job  -  my Tech Drawing teacher!

WB698 was involved in an accident in 1994, and struck off charge.

• Like 1

So happy to see this 1/48 (or whatever scale it was) new Chipmunk announced. I’m a modeller that will buy and build a subject in whatever scale they come in, which doesn’t do much for stash reduction I can assure you. Although I would buy plenty of good and affordable 1/72 Chipmunks, it’s also nice to see and build some of these smaller aircraft in larger scales. This 1/48 Chippy with exposed detail looks fantastic and I will certainly be adding a few when they arrive. With Boxart already shown, I’m hoping it wont take too long! 

Cheers... a Chirpy (or is that Chippy) Dave. 

• Like 1

Just thinking that the proposed price of the Chipmunk is the same as the 'Kate' kit that was reissued with new markings as the 2020 Airfix Club Kit and with a Spring release date would have it available for the 2021 kit (presuming there is going to be a new kit annually) perhaps with BBMF markings.

12 hours ago, Sidders said:

Maybe I can do a diorama with me throwing up all in the cockpit after doing aerobatics when I was in the ATC!

Do you have an accurate colour match for that?  Didn't see it listed in BS381c, although I would imagine variations were quite common :rofl:

"You have control..."

Rich

Edited by RichG
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, Sidders said:

Brilliant news!

Maybe I can do a diorama with me throwing up all in the cockpit after doing aerobatics when I was in the ATC! 😂
If memory serves it was at Abingdon around 1988. 

Fortunately I made it to the dispersal hut at Filton first on several trips so never decorated the interior in that shade.....

• Haha 2

I'm so excited that I might have emitted a small "yip!" when I saw that they're issuing this kit!  I've just put one on pre-order.

Cue desperately rifling the attic looking for my 3822 tomorrow; I flew all three Chipmunks that were based at Shawbury, plus ones at Colerne, Newton and.... ummm.... Benson(?) between 1992 and 1997 and there may have been more that I can't remember off the top of my head.

This gives me the opportunity to mention once again those immortal words:

"Jump, jump, John!"

• Like 1