1/48 - de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk T.10 by Airfix - released - new T.10/T.20 boxing in July 2024

Homebee

Interesting break down of parts. Two choices of main undercarriage leg, Flight/ground, pity the wheels are flight only. Thankfully the seat base seen in the CAD images is just a separate cushion, which those of us who have waddled out to the Chippie wearing a seat parachute would never recognise.

Main canopy break down is interesting and appreciated, and I see that a jig to assemble it (part 27) is provided.

I can't wait, I think building more than the two I already have on order may have to be considered.

• Like 4

This kit looks great and in my 'usual' scale for aircraft too. If I could pluck up the emotional courage I'd look to build one as either of the planes I was given my first flights in as a young cadet over at Woodvale and Valley back in t'80's. 😊

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This month's Aeroplane magazine features the Chipmunk as its Database subject and this includes a table of differences between the Canadian and the UK-built aircraft.  This might be a useful reference for when the kit comes out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First full build review in this months Airfix Modelworld magazine. Looks really nice built up. Sure there will be plenty of aftermarket in due course but the interior and engine details looks more than adequate for the scale and the " black painted pit".  The lap belts are moulded to the seat cushions, but adding shoulder harnesses or lap belts without the cushion  a la Air Cadets will be easy enough. The builder notes the jig for the canopy is useful but hinted at still having to take real care with the Tamiya liquid cement. They also stated that the canopy fitted better in the open than closed position, at least in their experience.

I read this the other day it looks lovely my only reservation is the cowlings and surround which are way too thick if you leave the bonnet open - I'd also hoped they would have the yellow training bands as decals like they did with their super Tiger Moth (they just fell on perfectly) but looks like I need to get the masking tape out. Hasn't stopped me ordering one though and a few minutes with some sandpaper will sort the cowlings out 

TT

Just read the build article in latest AMW. It looks like the forward upper fuselage part is well thought out. This could mean that a Canadian one might be on the cards as the shape of the base for the windshield is different to the UK built Chippies. You'd need to study pics of the two versions to see what I mean. It just needs the extended elevator horns to finish the Canadian version. My favourite thing about this kit are the raised rivet details!! At last someone knows that the Chipmunk does not have flush rivets everywhere. Bring back more raised rivets!!!   If you don't like 'em, just sand them off... easier than using filler!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Paul J said:

My favourite thing about this kit are the raised rivet details!! At last someone knows that the Chipmunk does not have flush rivets everywhere. Bring back more raised rivets!!!   

Better than those modellers and kit manufacturers who think flush rivets are best replicated by lines of rivet holes without any rivets in them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Paul J said:

If you don't like 'em, just sand them off.....easier than using filler!

That's exactly what I'll be doing - I hate raised rivets on models with a vengeance! (For the record, ditto the recessed ones.....)

11 hours ago, hopkp said:

That's exactly what I'll be doing - I hate raised rivets on models with a vengeance! (For the record, ditto the recessed ones.....)

You're a 'smoothie' then...

• Haha 4

On 3/20/2021 at 8:37 AM, Nocoolname said:

This kit looks great and in my 'usual' scale for aircraft too. If I could pluck up the emotional courage I'd look to build one as either of the planes I was given my first flights in as a young cadet over at Woodvale and Valley back in t'80's. 😊

Mine will be WP900 ‘13’ from Woodvale - latish 70’s👍🏻

Trevor

• Like 2

I expect mine will be one of ten different ones that I have flown in...all in either silver dope and dayglo strips or light aircraft grey and dayglo.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

Mine will be WP900 ‘13’ from Woodvale - latish 70’s👍🏻

Trevor

Thought this looked familiar.  Just checked my Air Cadet Record Book (still have it after 35 years!) and I also flew in WP900 at 10AEF. My flight was 23/04/1987 (seems a lifetime ago now)😁

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, treker_ed said:

Thought this looked familiar.  Just checked my Air Cadet Record Book (still have it after 35 years!) and I also flew in WP900 at 10AEF. My flight was 23/04/1987 (seems a lifetime ago now)😁

Blimey, my first one was around then, unfortunately can't find the log book and can't remember which AEF.

Really looking forward to Getty this kit, looks superb!

What we could do with is a set of decals with all the AEF and university markings on one sheet.  Plus lots of D type roundels with 36" and 18" sizes with matching fin flashes.  It will be a quite colourful set I reckon.  Oh yes and all the dayglo trim, but ModelArt may already be working on that by upscaling their 1/72 set....

• Like 1

In the Airfix workbench

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/a-training-aircraft-for-all-services

https://uk.airfix.com/products/de-havilland-chipmunk-t10-a04105

Scheme A - DHC Chipmunk T.10 WB585/28 (G-AOSY), in the colours of No.2 Flying Training School, restored by Vintage Fabrics Ltd, Audley End Airfield, Saffron Walden, Essex, England 2020.

68843.jpg
68844.jpg

Scheme B - DHC Chipmunk T.10 WB549, the first British Chipmunk, displayed at Farnborough, Hampshire, England 1949.

68845.jpg
68846.jpg

Scheme C - DHC Chipmunk T.10 WK608/906, Royal Navy Historic Flight, Royal Naval Air Station Yeovilton, Yeovilton, Somerset, England, 2009.

68847.jpg
68848.jpg

Scheme D - DHC Chipmunk T.10 WP964, Army Air Corps, Army Aviation Centre Middle Wallop, Hampshire, England, June 1968.

68849.jpg
68850.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

The Historic Army Aircraft Flight's Facebook page has a comprehensive photo walk round of their Chipmunk WD325 taken during its Major Servicing. Plenty of close up and personal shots of an aircraft still very much as it was in service, taken by a modeller with the modeller in mind.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Aeronut said:

The Historic Army Aircraft Flight's Facebook page has a comprehensive photo walk round of their Chipmunk WD325 taken during its Major Servicing. Plenty of close up and personal shots of an aircraft still very much as it was in service, taken by a modeller with the modeller in mind.

Beautiful! Now all we need is Airfix' kit of the bird... 😁