1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Airfix - release Autumn 2021

Bjorn

45 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

I think I have the trailing edges thinned down enough now. I recommend a single-sided razor blade for scraping away the plastic from the inside of the wing, even though it’s quite messy!

I used an Xacto # 24 blade to thin down the trailing edges of my Airfix Hurricane:

49317089502_9d31f2492f_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Might it be easier to attach the lower wing to the fuselage, then add the upper wing surfaces, instead of building the wing assembly in its entirety and trying to attach that?

John

Might it be easier to attach the lower wing to the fuselage, then add the upper wing surfaces, instead of building the wing assembly in its entirety and trying to attach that?

John

Both upper wing halves are joined by the “cockpit floor” assembly, so it isn’t possible without cutting it into three, and that might make things even more complicated. I have dry fitted the upper and lower wing assemblies separately, and the fit was good in each case. I’ll find out whether the whole thing goes together soon enough!

Edited by lasermonkey
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lasermonkey said:

I was very impressed with the lower wing to fuselage fit. It’s quite ingenious. I wonder whether it will be so good once the wing halves are glued together. 

Might it be easier to attach the lower wing to the fuselage, then add the upper surfaces, instead of building the whole wing assembly and trying to attach that?

John

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the plan to attach the upper wing assembly to the fuselage first worked a treat. I ended up with a near flawless fit in the end. Very happy with how that turned out! Apart from having to take a sanding stick to the rad assembly (it was a touch too wide) I have been most impressed with the fit on this model so far.

The time spent on reducing the trailing edge thickness was well worth it.  I’d go so far as to say it’s the only thing that lets the kit down for me. 

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... ..that and the decal sheet perhaps.  There was some sort of molding flaw on the windscreen too. The decal stripes don't 'work' as well as they did on the Typhoon. In the end I painted the white sections and just used the black stripes..

spacer.png

• Like 3

You raise a good point about the decals. The only one i have used thus far is the instrument panel, and that seemed cartoon-like to me. If they could do away with those stupid, heavy, white lines, it wouldn’t be so bad. The option I’m going with is the No. 486 Sqn machine, and the wing stripes are incorrect for that. I was going to paint them anyway, as I don’t trust decals for such things. Bad memories *shudder*.

I probably ought to check the transparent parts a bit closer.

• 2 weeks later...

Apart from arguably the best British Spitfire fighter, I am a great admirer of the Hawker Tempest V. During my modeling career, I have made six TempestV machines McKennaugh, J.P. Beamont, P. Clostermann, R. van Lierde, J. Sheddan and Sq. Ldr. M.P. Killburn. I had to regrind all the positive paneling and make a new one.  For me, Tempest is a cult machine. I was quite looking forward to the new Tempest by Airfix. Today I finally had the opportunity to buy it.  Consequently I had also an opportunity to buy a novelty from EDUARD Avia S-199 the Mule. At home, I unwrapped both news impatiently. In the case of Tempest V, it was a big disappointment. Airfix has only confirmed its role as a stagnant toy manufacturer for undemanding customers. Unfortunately, the development of their models has not seen any significant progress recently.  The engraving of the panel is very, very wide and the smallest parts are not exactly made. The rear position lights are completely missing, although there is a cutout for them on the fuselage. The shape of the cannon covers in the wing is also bad. In fact, it has a drop shape, not an elliptical shape. The clear parts cabin cover is no better than the 40-year-old Heller. The highlight of the poor quality work was the Cartograf decals, where white was printed on the side roundels instead of yellow! Mule by EDUARD is a kit for the 21st century. Absolutely perfect details on small parts. Very fine engraving and riveting on the wings. And all for just a few extra pounds! If the new Tempest is to satisfy undemanding and beginning children's modelers, so be it. For those who want to build accurate or competitive models, this Tempest is a step backwards. So the challenge for the perfect Hawker Tempest V is still here!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, jirie123 said:

The highlight of the poor quality work was the Cartograf decals, where white was printed on the side roundels instead of yellow!

You had me going until you started bashing the decals in this kit. Maybe you got a defective sheet, but the ones in my kit are perfect.

Plus, the width of the panels lines on the Airfix Tempest is fine. They might be a little on the deep side but I suspect this is because Airfix knows most people who build their kits will brush paint. The lines are certainly thinner than those on the new KP Tempests.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jirie123 said:

Apart from arguably the best British Spitfire fighter, I am a great admirer of the Hawker Tempest V. During my modeling career, I have made six TempestV machines McKennaugh, J.P. Beamont, P. Clostermann, R. van Lierde, J. Sheddan and Sq. Ldr. M.P. Killburn. I had to regrind all the positive paneling and make a new one.  For me, Tempest is a cult machine. I was quite looking forward to the new Tempest by Airfix. Today I finally had the opportunity to buy it.  Consequently I had also an opportunity to buy a novelty from EDUARD Avia S-199 the Mule. At home, I unwrapped both news impatiently. In the case of Tempest V, it was a big disappointment. Airfix has only confirmed its role as a stagnant toy manufacturer for undemanding customers. Unfortunately, the development of their models has not seen any significant progress recently.  The engraving of the panel is very, very wide and the smallest parts are not exactly made. The rear position lights are completely missing, although there is a cutout for them on the fuselage. The shape of the cannon covers in the wing is also bad. In fact, it has a drop shape, not an elliptical shape. The clear parts cabin cover is no better than the 40-year-old Heller. The highlight of the poor quality work was the Cartograf decals, where white was printed on the side roundels instead of yellow! Mule by EDUARD is a kit for the 21st century. Absolutely perfect details on small parts. Very fine engraving and riveting on the wings. And all for just a few extra pounds! If the new Tempest is to satisfy undemanding and beginning children's modelers, so be it. For those who want to build accurate or competitive models, this Tempest is a step backwards. So the challenge for the perfect Hawker Tempest V is still here!

I believe that accompanying your complain with photos illustrating the differences you describe, would only be fair to both manufacturers. Few photos are better than a lot of words.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Patrik said:

I believe that accompanying your complain with photos illustrating the differences you describe, would only be fair to both manufacturers. Few photos are better than a lot of words.

yes

• Like 1

"If the new Tempest is to satisfy undemanding and beginning children's modelers"

Ah yes, the classic kit bashing from the many hexpurts of modelling. 

I won't be following your advice, and I'll be buying the Tempest V if I ever get the chance of visiting Hannants in London again.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Back in March I checked the sizes of various 1/72 Tempest wheels and hubs;

On 3/11/2022 at 11:55 AM, Johnson said:

Some more measurements, all with a micrometer;

New Airfix 1/72 Tempest V:

4 spoke hub - 6.55mm

5 spoke        - 5.60mm

Airfix 1/72 Typhoon;

5 spoke        - 5.10mm

A.L.Bentley's 1/72 Tempest V plans from the original 1973 printing in Scale Models. Drawing is the rear view of the wheel/hub, i.e. no spokes showing;

Hub (rear)    - 5.20mm

1/72 Typhoon plans drawn by G.R.Duval in Typhoon and Tempest at War (Reed and Beamont, Ian Allan 1974).

5 spoke        - 5.13mm

Lacking the real hubs to measure (few of these here in Somerset) I measured the hubs in the 1/48 Eduard Tempest V kit;

4 spoke hub - 9.22mm    (6.20mm @ 1/72).

5 spoke        - 7.45mm    (5.00mm @ 1/72).

The Airfix 5 spoke Tempest hub is slightly smaller than the 4 spoke but possibly not quite small enough. I'd be very interested to know what the Barracuda 5 spoke hub measures.

I've now got the Barracuda 5 spoke hub mainwheels;

y4mLFILszOothqYm2to-JoXNW6VFkH_h469ff9O1

To quote from their description;

Hawker Typhoon, Tempest Series 1 Mainwheels (For all kits) The first ever accurate Typhoon style mainwheels, created from careful measurements of surviving wheels and study of period photos.

This is the hub measurement;

5 spoke hub     - 5.00mm

The wheel (tyre) measures 11.40mm

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Subject from the last Airfix Workbench - ref. A02110 - Hawker Tempest Mk.V - Post War - link

Source: https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/hawkers-tempest-fighting-thoroughbred

106775.jpg

Scheme A - Hawker Tempest Mk.V SN228 XC/D, Aircraft flown by Squadron Leader H 'Poppa' Ambrose DFC, Commanding Officer of No.26 Squadron, Royal Air Force Gatow, Germany 1946.

106773.jpg

106774.jpg

Scheme B - Hawker Tempest Mk.V EJ865 W2/Y, No.80 Squadron, Royal Air Force Wunstorf (formerly Advanced Landing Ground B-11), Germany 1946.

106776.jpg

106777.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4

I like those 80 squadron markings so might get one even though I'm not a big fan of the kit. I had quite a lot of fit issues with mine. I built it alongside an Academy Tempest which I much prefer as a build even if it has some inaccuracies. Plus the Academy kit doesn't have trailing edges about a scale foot in thickness.

I'm seriously considering this. Back in the 80's I was a member of the ATC and was in 80 (Bolton) Sqn, and had adopted 80 Sqn (RAF) Bell as as our squadron symbol as well. So massive connection between ATC & RAF.  My ATC Sqn was one of the earliest formed, and (legend has it anyway) we missed out on being a founder squadron by a simple delay in the post! 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

As an aside, I wonder how many have picked up the error in the Airfix Workbench article linked to above, citing Wing Commander Evan Mackie as New Zealand's top scorer in WW2, it was of course Group Captain Colin Gray who finished the war with 27 confirmed victories to Mackie's 21.5. I think I might need to have one of this boxing when it comes out, having a shiny nm finished SN228 alongside Mackie's wartime mount, which I've already modelled from the Heller kit, would be an interesting contrast.

Steve.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

That’s not a bad idea @stevehnz, I’ve got the old (but still quite serviceable) Heller Tempest stashed, so buying the new Airfix boxing and sharing the decals might be all the motivation required to dig this old kit out. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Future dedicated sets by Special Hobby: 

- ref. P72008 - engine with tanks

- ref. P72009 - early cannons

- ref. P72010 - sight and seat 

- pair of wheels early & late

- ref. F72402 - pilot and mechanic

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2023/10/neco-malo-k-tempestu-172-aneb.html

IMG-4316.jpg

IMG-4318.jpg

3D test print

IMG-4325.jpg

IMG-4332.jpg

IMG-4328.jpg

IMG-4331.jpg

IMG-4322.jpg

V.P.

• Like 11

On 4/20/2022 at 6:41 PM, jirie123 said:

I am inclined to agree. I was not very impressed with the kit. I probably won't be getting another, even though the latest release has some nice schemes. I recently built the AZ mk II and found it a much better kit in every way except, alas, the shape of the Centaurus cowling, which is much too blunt. On the strength of the rest of the kit I'll probably get a couple of AZ mk Vs and already have the Mk VI in the stash. As far as buildability goes the Academy Mk V is nice, with good surface detail too. It does have some dimensional errors though.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:57 AM, Homebee said:

Future dedicated sets by Special Hobby: 

- ref. P72008 - engine with tanks

- ref. P72009 - early cannons

- ref. P72010 - sight and seat 

- pair of wheels early & late

- ref. F72402 - pilot and mechanic

Source: https://www.specialhobby.net/2023/10/neco-malo-k-tempestu-172-aneb.html

V.P.

Wow - nice! I'm thinking the engine, seat, and early wheels would work with a Typhoon, too, yes? Maybe a Brengun car door version?

John

• Like 1