1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Airfix - release Autumn 2021

Bjorn

On 8/14/2021 at 3:15 PM, Johnson said:

The accuracy of Bentley's plans is what I'm wondering about and how did he do them? A tape measure and a notebook? Photos? Surveying? Back then, pre-LIDAR which uses a laser to accurately measure distances which can be used to generate a highly accurate 3D model in a computer, we might have used terrestrial photogrammetry, but I doubt that he would have.

Does anyone know if there are Hawker manufacturing documentation of the Tempest existing? Bentley drawings of it look so detailed that he might have had access to them?

Cheers,

AaCee

On 14/08/2021 at 13:15, Johnson said:

The accuracy of Bentley's plans is what I'm wondering about and how did he do them? A tape measure and a notebook? Photos? Surveying? Back then, pre-LIDAR which uses a laser to accurately measure distances which can be used to generate a highly accurate 3D model in a computer, we might have used terrestrial photogrammetry, but I doubt that he would have.

His Tempest drawings were the first he did, but his background in Technical Publications and Airframe structures meant he put a lot of effort into them. No drawing is perfect, and especially when it's been reproduced a couple of times (He makes the point that some of his early prints were stretched by the duplication machine) but I'm just curious

https://www.albentley-drawings.com/about/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Expected Winter 2022

Fresh news:

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/tempest-v-rafs-new-v-1-killer

https://uk.airfix.com/community/blog-and-news/workbench/beamonts-beast-and-unlikely-aviation-siblings

75984.jpg

75980.jpg

Scheme A - Hawker Tempest Mk.V JN751/R-B, Aircraft flown by Wing Commander Roland Prosper ‘Bee’ Beamont, No.150 Wing, Newchurch, Kent, England, June 1944.

74749.jpg
74750.jpg

Scheme B - Hawker Tempest Mk.V JN766/SA-N, No.486 Squadron Royal New Zealand Air Force, RAF Castle Camps, Cambridgeshire, England, April 1944.

74749.jpg
75983.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Procopius said:

So it looks as if only Series 1 machines in the initial boxing, is that correct?

In terms of the decal options it is correct. I guess we have to see the sprues and layout to see what options may be considered for the future.

9 hours ago, Procopius said:

So it looks as if only Series 1 machines in the initial boxing, is that correct?

It appears that way, so if you're going with either of the two kit schemes can I suggest you find a spare set of Typhoon 'small hub' wheels to go with it. I can't see any reason why a Series 2 Tempest can't be made OOB with the use of AM decals and using the larger wheel hubs already provided. Looks like a nice kit all the same. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2021 at 8:23 PM, AaCee26 said:

Does anyone know if there are Hawker manufacturing documentation of the Tempest existing? Bentley drawings of it look so detailed that he might have had access to them?

Cheers,

AaCee

I met Arthur Bentley a few times in the early 2000's. He told me that he had access to the Hawker drawings when he created his Tempest drawings.

Also, I understand that there are several copies of scanned drawings with at least three organisations, containing: Typhoon/Tempest/Tornado/Henley details. These number in the 1000's so there is no shortage of information available if you know who to ask.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, Richard Humm said:

February according to the Airfix website, which still just about counts as winter...

Given that according to the weather people February is often the coldest month, I would say very much counts as winter. Mind you looking at the flowers still out in the garden, who knows? 

• 1 month later...

On the test shot at Telford the panel lines didn't look that pronounced. It looks as if they have been 'highlighted' in the way that seems popular with some. 

The five spoke wheel hub is still the wrong diameter. It is not as if anyone hasn't mentioned it to Airfix, I know I did. It seems Airfix designers are  relying on an airframe and not doing much in the way of homework. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
17 hours ago, Stilwell said:

Released (apparently):

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AX02109

Jonathan.

One that I've been looking forward to - since it was announced.  Why, Oh why was that over a year ago, in the 2021 announcements???

Now hoping for a call from LMS tomorrow, to pick up the one I have on order.

Edited next day:  I've just received that call - so off to collect my kit.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 5:22 PM, Supersonic26 said:

Box art is wonderful, the kit looks the part but the panel lines on that display build are once more way overblown. Not sure if that's the kit's fault or the modeller's - probably a bit of both.

The panel lines in the display model have been grossly over-emphasised in the currently trendy and fashionable fashion: the few available images of JN751 whilst in Wg Cdr Beamont’s charge show her as almost immaculate with very little evidence of wear, tear, crud or grot.

• Like 4

I have been looking forward to this kit  and had been wondering when it would appear

Re drawings,  I have the 4plus title to compare the kit with. Should be interesting.

Be a shame if the panel lines are a step back when the recently released Spitfire Vc panel lines were perfectly fine (not as nice as Tamiya/Eduard of course but certainly something you can live with). Will need to wait for the reviews first I think.