1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Airfix - release Autumn 2021

Bjorn

7 hours ago, alt-92 said:

For which there are Peewit masks - often 1 or 2 bob cheaper, work just as well.

On the subject matter itself: that makes two older Tempest Mk.Vs (Smer & Heller boxings) and two confirmed newer ones (Airfix and KP) doing the rounds. 

Maybe we should look at planning a Typhoon/Tempest STGB for 2023? :P

What about the 1/72 Academy kit?

https://www.super-hobby.com/products/TEMPEST-V.html

Chris

5 hours ago, 71chally said:

Great build and a little info on it here, 

Hawker Tempest MkV Scratchbuilt in 1/32 Scale pg3 | Paul Budzik | Fine Scale Modeling

In Detail - Drop Tanks (hawkertempest.se)

...they should be links, anyone know what I'm doing wrong here?

Well, I'll be.  Never, ever noticed that before.  Now in every pic I see it's obvious!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Mr Riedel on the Czech forum literally said, "If we choose a model to make, we only announce it when the moulds are at least finished."

Until such an official announcement, companies will not say anything certain, at most they will give slight hints.

Times have changed. In the past, a catalogue with all the announcements was published because it didn't affect business. There was less competition, it took longer to design a model and production using traditional methods was much slower. Today it is much easier to obtain materials, the design takes faster, and the production of moulds is also faster.  On the other hand, there are fewer buyers and costs have not fallen at all, rather they have been rising recently.

Each company has between a few and a dozen projects in development that no one outside the company knows about. Each of these projects means several boxes with different versions or paint schemes. The investment in these projects runs into hundreds of thousands of pounds a year, and no one can afford for some inferior predatory company to rip off 20-30% of sales by making the same kit beforehand by copying some old model with redrawn lines. It may simply be a matter of whether the project was profitable or not.

I understand the reasoning behind the decision and my comments are not directed at any company or person. It is just an observation that it is assumed that a Tempest was going to appear on what looked like fairly thin information. 

6 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

some inferior predatory company

I would prefer to keep namecalling out of this as it's easy to pinpoint manufacturers in that specific context. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I would prefer to keep namecalling out of this as it's easy to pinpoint manufacturers in that specific context. 

I am not mentioning any company by name, because there are more than one manufacturer who prey on other people's work. The problem is so annoying, and the losses so significant, that a policy of not publishing project information has become commonplace.

In late 2020, ICM released a Tiger Moth in 1/32 that was not mentioned in the catalogue. This year MiniArt published a catalogue that only included models that had already been announced on their website. IBG Models has a number of new tool models in the pipeline and does not mention them anywhere. Amodel, Answer, Avis and so on announce their models suddenly, at uneven intervals.

All these companies and many others do this not because they are malicious and do not care to promote their products. On the contrary, everyone would like to be able to announce models a year or two in advance, so that modellers have time to save their money and to buy as many models as possible. Unfortunately, those days are gone.

• Like 2

On 01/08/2021 at 18:57, Procopius said:

It's far too short, among other things.

How much? been a long time since I looked at one, but my memory was that it was close to a copy of the Heller kit but with engraved panel lines (Like a few of their kits at that time) and a dodgy wing tip shape.

2 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

How much? been a long time since I looked at one, but my memory was that it was close to a copy of the Heller kit but with engraved panel lines (Like a few of their kits at that time) and a dodgy wing tip shape.

Regrettably, this is not so. There's a notable length difference in the fuselages if you compare the kits side by side. Sadly, I'm not sure of the actual length, as it's been a number of years and my stash has been reduced considerable.

Hello, 

I just checked because this is exactly what I had read and had kept in mind "Academy is an engraved Heller copy with a huge lengh difference". 

Copy it may well be but my surprise is I thought I would find between 2 and 5 mm difference (grossly 0.1 or 0.2 in). I actually found around 0.5mm difference in lengh between an Academy and Heller Tempests (ie around 0.02 in). 

As I prefer the Academy details and plastic, I had kept one Heller kit main parts only as a gauge to correct my Academy builds.

Finally I might well start my Academy Tempest before the Airfix (or SH/Eduard?) kit is released. (Yes I plan to buy future Tempest kits ... not the KP model)

Regards 

Eric B.

Edited by Eric B.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Eric B. said:

Hello, 

I just checked because this is exactly what I had read and had kept in mind "Academy is an engraved Heller copy with a huge lengh difference". 

Copy it may well be but my surprise is I thought I would find between 2 and 5 mm difference (grossly 0.1 or 0.2 in). I actually found around 0.5mm difference in lengh between an Academy and Heller Tempests (ie around 0.02 in). 

As I prefer the Academy details and plastic, I had kept one Heller kit main parts only as a gauge to correct my Academy builds.

Finally I might well start my Academy Tempest before the Airfix (or SH/Eduard?) kit is released. (Yes I plan to buy future Tempest kits ... not the KP model)

Regards 

Eric B.

Ya beat me to it. Thanks for that info!

Chris

2 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Hello, 

Proving once again the old saying - "One test is worth a thousand expert opinions".

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just for S's & G's, I did a little comparison between the Heller and Academy kits fuselages. Academy to port, Heller to starboard.

51354998697_57a0594c51_b.jpg

51355740381_fda4672428_b.jpg

51356478254_820814617e_b.jpg

The tail ends matched quite nicely, about 99.9%.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

On 03/08/2021 at 05:28, Richard Humm said:

Don't forget Revell, if you really like sanding off rivets, and FROG if you're into clear propeller discs.

If the internets taught me anything - there will be a neiche group into it! 😄

• Like 1

On 8/2/2021 at 7:13 PM, John Thompson said:

Believe it or not, the Revell Tempest, rivets and all, was once reboxed for the JDM (that's Japanese Domestic Market, for anyone not into car-speak) by Hasegawa!

John

If memory serves me right the pilot figure was wearing an oxygen mask which, I believe, was mandatory in a Tempest due to exhaust gasses entering the cockpit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

If memory serves me right the pilot figure was wearing an oxygen mask which, I believe, was mandatory in a Tempest due to exhaust gasses entering the cockpit.

Excellent attention to detail by Revell - and to think I was being all snooty about those rivets.

John

• Like 3

On 8/4/2021 at 12:47 AM, dogsbody said:

Just for S's & G's, I did a little comparison between the Heller and Academy kits fuselages. Academy to port, Heller to starboard.

51354998697_57a0594c51_b.jpg

51355740381_fda4672428_b.jpg

51356478254_820814617e_b.jpg

The tail ends matched quite nicely, about 99.9%.

Chris

"Massive length difference".   Hmmmmm.  

Many thanks for posting the comparison.  A picture is worth 1000 confidently expressed opinions.

• Like 4

On 8/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, mike romeo said:

"Massive length difference".   Hmmmmm.  

Both Heller and Academy are a tad short, please see HERE for Academy:

On 8/17/2011 at 10:48 AM, warhawk said:

Fuselage is 2mm shorter (compared to both 4+ and Warpaint plans). This is a bit tricky to correct, since the canopy is positioned correctly compared with vertical fin; while the nose section is positioned correctly compared with the wings.
Logical conclusion: cut somewhere between... of course, try not to ruin the interior detail (which is suficient for the scale and that small hole in the fuselage...)
th_IMG_0468.jpg...

Anyway, fuselage cut out and holes filled with 2mm styrene.
th_IMG_0470.jpg

Regards,

Aleksandar

Edited by warhawk
  • Thanks 1

It will be very interesting to see how the Airfix kit compares to the Bentley plans that AFAIK are regarded as the best and I’ve used them since they appeared in Scale Models in 1973.

Airfix presumably will have used modern LIDAR techniques to survey the Tempest but how did A.L. Bentley do it when he drew his marvellous plans in 1972?

Everybody, it seems, assumes that because draughsmanship is of a high order that the plans must be accurate.

Bently reversed the colours of wingtip lights ie Green to port, Red to starboard .....

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Denford said:

Everybody, it seems, assumes that because draughsmanship is of a high order that the plans must be accurate.

Quite so @Denford. When I was involved in project planning, we had a sign up in our office that read; 'Assumption is the basis of all error'.

The accuracy of Bentley's plans is what I'm wondering about and how did he do them? A tape measure and a notebook? Photos? Surveying? Back then, pre-LIDAR which uses a laser to accurately measure distances which can be used to generate a highly accurate 3D model in a computer, we might have used terrestrial photogrammetry, but I doubt that he would have.

But I'm looking forward to comparing the Airfix parts to his plans, which I hope will match.