1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Airfix - release Autumn 2021

Bjorn

#2 for finding the Airfix Mustang a gem especially at less than a tenner with dropped flaps!

I too hope that the Tempest II will make an appearance especially as MW763 is nearly ready to fly from the hangar adjacent to us at Sywell Aviation Museum - the first airborne Tempest of any mark since the 60s!

TT 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

What's wrong with the Airfix Mustang?  I assume you're talking about the 1/72 P-51D.  Seems like a pretty nice kit to me.  The only issue I had was trying (and failing) to remove the radio mast from the sprue in one piece.  I am glad that Arma are going the Mustang III though.  Another kit to add to my ever growing list of 'must haves'.

Given that he's talking about the Mustang III it is only logical to assume he's talking about the Airfix P-51B, which is nothing special

11 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

I have already built several but each time I had trouble removing the control column the radio mast from the sprues without breaking them and the one of the landing gear was bent ..

As Benjamin Franklin said, the only certainties in life are death, taxes and breaking the aerial and control column in the 1/72 Airfix P-51.

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

2 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Although there is a slight difference  lengh wise, I always thought it's on the Heller kit Academy copied their Tempest from. 

Eric B.

If only they had done that, they would perhaps not have introduced their own shape errors, The two kits do not resemble each other much at all. The Heller kit matches the Arthur Bentley drawings superbly, the Academy kit certainly does not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Giorgio N said:

It's a nice enough kit but the Arma ones are in a different league in terms of mould finesse and details.

Agreed.  Only built their Hurricane I so far (twice) and it is possibly the best 1/72 kit I've ever built.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Work In Progress said:

Given that he's talking about the Mustang III it is only logical to assume he's talking about the Airfix P-51B, which is nothing special

Airfix don't make a P-51B except their old out of production kit.

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

#2 for finding the Airfix Mustang a gem especially at less than a tenner with dropped flaps!

I too hope that the Tempest II will make an appearance especially as MW763 is nearly ready to fly from the hangar adjacent to us at Sywell Aviation Museum - the first airborne Tempest of any mark since the 60s!

TT 

That's exciting news.  I knew about the project but hadn't realised it was that far down the line.  With several Seafires on the way, a Typhoon and a Mosquito project and maybe even a Hornet, things are looking good in the preservation scene despite the grim year we've all just had.

7 hours ago, Paul J said:

Splendid choice and it has a Kiwi Squadron option on the decals!

I reckon Stevehnz will be chuffed.  He's just posted a rather nice rendition of one of Mackie's aircraft in RFI.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

If only they had done that, they would perhaps not have introduced their own shape errors, The two kits do not resemble each other much at all. The Heller kit matches the Arthur Bentley drawings superbly, the Academy kit certainly does not

And the gear on your Heller kit will at some point break.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Here we go.    Track down a Special Hobby one if you want a Mk.II. Nice kit.

But if Airfix had gone the Matchbox road and given us a kit with option for both? ;)

Cheers / André 

3 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

I reckon Stevehnz will be chuffed.  He's just posted a rather nice rendition of one of Mackie's aircraft in RFI.

Taking one for the team I was. :D Thanks for the compliment. :) 

Mine was only one of 4 built recently, the others being by TEMPESTMK5 Richard Tucker & Mike Romeo , fine builds all, Airfix didn't stand a show. :) 

Steve.

• Like 5

OK didn't know that the Academy Tempest has obvious faults, I always thought only their Typhoon had nose problems.

Anyways, the more errors the other kits have the more this kit is welcomed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

Indeed, the previous Airfix Tempest, i.e. the very accurate Heller kit, has always been the one to beat in 1/72. 

The gentleman in the range launch video said Airfix hadn't done a Tempest before, which didn't seem right to me. Maybe he meant Airfix hadn't tooled one themselves?

Edited by k5054nz
double-post
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, JamesP said:

The Academy kit could be one of those kits they copied shapes from Frog and added new surface detail to.

I always thought the Academy was more likely to be a “copy” of the Heller kit. The fuselage always seemed too narrow to me, which was a problem with the Academy Hurricane IIc as well.

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

But if Airfix had gone the Matchbox road and given us a kit with option for both? ;)

Cheers / André 

That would require wings with the wing root radiators as in the Mk.VI as well as the Centaurus nose.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

That would require wings with the wing root radiators as in the Mk.VI as well as the Centaurus nose.

The prop diameter is a little shorter as well, however that’s not a huge problem to correct. 

• Like 1

Good morning

I am afraid that Airfix will not produce the Mk II and Mk VI because after all the expectations they didn't produce a Car Door Typhoon nor did they produce a metal winged Hurricane Mk 1 in 1/72 and I could go on with the Spit Mk XIV , but they did produce a Blenheim Mk 1 AND a mk IV so let's see what they will do  ...

Patrice

• Like 3

On 07/01/2021 at 14:37, Britman said:

Well we might be pleasantly surprised if Airfix engineered the kit for other variants such as the Mk ll and Vl as per Matchbox.

Keith

The breakdown of the parts in the renders suggest Mk.V/5 only, there's no separate inserts for the wing mounted oil coolers/air intake and certainly no indication of a separate nose.

On 07/01/2021 at 16:29, T-21 said:

I will build mine as a TT.V 233OCU,   RAF Pembrey  where my father flew them including NV778  from 1953-55.

I'll certainly be going for at least three different TT's, 226 OCU, 233 OCU and Sylt APS, it's my favourite Tempest colour scheme.

Very happy about this, I didn't know about the Academy lit's length issue, for me the wing shape wasn't correct, too much chord outboard.

Edited by Wez
Spelling
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Yes I am talking about the 1/72 D model .. It is a nice looking kit and I have already built several but each time I had trouble removing the control column the radio mast from the sprues without breaking them and the one of the landing gear was bent ..

Best regards

Patrice

Elsewhere I have suggested using an old soldering iron to 'cut through' the sprues

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stevehnz said:

@Colin @ Freightdog Models did/does a Mk VI conversion, which I'm pretty sure was based on the Academy kit, maybe now will be the time to remaster those bits that require it for this new kit from Airfix. Just saying <_< 

Steve.

Hi Steve

I guess You are talking about this

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/freightdog-models-fdr72008-hawker-tempest-mkvi-conversion-set--185702

And this is a  conversion set for MkII

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heritage-aviation-models-tempest-mk-2-conversion--206375

Patrice

• Like 1