1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Airfix - release Autumn 2021

Bjorn

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/72 Hawker Tempest Mk. V by Airfix - release Autumn 2021
1 hour ago, occa said:

Was not really urgent as the Academy is very good still but nevertheless I welcome it.

The Academy fuselage is a little short, it’s wingtips too rounded and you can’t exactly use the kits miss-shaped propeller and call it accurate. I’m sure Airfix will right these wrongs and give us a great little kit that will sell very well. Now those two decal schemes are interesting, both are Mk.V Series 1’s so I wonder if there is provision to make a Series 2 version as well. 
Cheers and well played Airfix.. Dave 

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

The Academy fuselage is a little short, it’s wingtips too rounded and you can’t exactly use the kits miss-shaped propeller and call it accurate. I’m sure Airfix will right these wrongs and give us a great little kit that will sell very well. Now those two decal schemes are interesting, both are Mk.V Series 1’s so I wonder if there is provision to make a Series 2 version as well. 

The Academy kit could be one of those kits they copied shapes from Frog and added new surface detail to.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, occa said:

Is this a camera port what I see there ?

43 minutes ago, Paul Thompson said:

Maybe a hole for a stand?

Recognition light. Just like on the Hurri (same location more or less) & Spits.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, JamesP said:

The Academy kit could be one of those kits they copied shapes from Frog and added new surface detail to.

Although there is a slight difference  lengh wise, I always thought it's on the Heller kit Academy copied their Tempest from. 

Eric B.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Good afternoon Dave

I also hope that it will be possible to build the 2 versions with this new kit 

From this site  :

https://hawkertempest.se/index.php/thetempest/2014-05-12-18-28-30/markv

"Tempest Mk V were built in two variants, Series 1 and 2. These are the differences:

Tempest Mk V Series 1:

The Series 1 had its Hispano Mk. II cannon protruding ahead of the wings leading edge.

The joint between the rear fuselage and tail unit was reinforced as a measure, by riveting over with fish plates thus rendering the tail unit nondetachable.

The rear spar pick-up end fitting was cranked in order to pick up the fuselage lugs. This was because the fuselage structure of these early aircraft were converted Typhoon assemblies, whose rear spar pick up lugs were too high to allow direct attachment. The top wing root fillet fairing had to have a bulge in it to clear this fitting.

Tempest Mk V Series II:

The Mk V Series 2 were fitted with the new short-barrelled Hispano Mk. V cannon which was completely enclosed.

The built-up tubular steel fuselage rear spar pick-up structure was replaced by a one-piece casting which gave a direct pick up making a much simpler structural joint.

The reinforcement of the rear fuselage was not necessary allowing a detachable tail unit.

Provision to carry two 45-gal drop tanks.

The first 100 aircrafts (Series 1 with serialnumbers in the JN range) were manufactured at Langley in Buckinghamshire. The first production aircraft (JN729) made its maiden flight on June 21 1943. 
The other 300 Mk Vs were built at the Gloster company and were Series 2 with EJ serialnumbers. Two further orders were placed, all Series 2 standard with NV and SN serialnumbers. "

Patrice

• Like 4

Indeed, the previous Airfix Tempest, i.e. the very accurate Heller kit, has always been the one to beat in 1/72. Having a couple of those in stock I am happy to stick with them. The cockpit isn't much and the wheel wells are a bit shallow but that's about all and neither factor bothers me much.

• Like 2

Another late Christmas present from Airfix.  I was going to order the Academy one from Hannants but it is currently out of stock.  Must be Karma or something.  This and the Mosquito were my two most wanteds from Airfix.  Airfix must have given a huge sigh of relief when Arma announced they were doing a Mustang III and not a Tempest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

Another late Christmas present from Airfix.  I was going to order the Academy one from Hannants but it is currently out of stock.  Must be Karma or something.  This and the Mosquito were my two most wanteds from Airfix.  Airfix must have given a huge sigh of relief when Arma announced they were doing a Mustang III and not a Tempest.

Good afternoon Meatbox

I must say that I was also very plaesed when Arma hobby announced they were doing a Mustang III because they will surely fair better then Airfix when one consider the Airfix Mustang ...

Well we might be pleasantly surprised if Airfix engineered the kit for other variants such as the Mk ll and Vl as per Matchbox.

Keith

4 hours ago, Paul J said:

Splendid choice and it has a Kiwi Squadron option on the decals!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Meatbox

I must say that I was also very plaesed when Arma hobby announced they were doing a Mustang III because they will surely fair better then Airfix when one consider the Airfix Mustang ...

What's wrong with the Airfix Mustang?  I assume you're talking about the 1/72 P-51D.  Seems like a pretty nice kit to me.  The only issue I had was trying (and failing) to remove the radio mast from the sprue in one piece.  I am glad that Arma are going the Mustang III though.  Another kit to add to my ever growing list of 'must haves'.

• Like 3

Just now, Meatbox8 said:

What's wrong with the Airfix Mustang?  I assume you're talking about the 1/72 P-51D.  Seems like a pretty nice kit to me.  The only issue I had was trying (and failing) to remove the radio mast from the sprue in one piece.  I am glad that Arma are going the Mustang III though.  Another kit to add to my ever growing list of 'must haves'.

Yes I am talking about the 1/72 D model .. It is a nice looking kit and I have already built several but each time I had trouble removing the control column the radio mast from the sprues without breaking them and the one of the landing gear was bent ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

It's a nice enough kit but the Arma ones are in a different league in terms of mould finesse and details.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Meatbox8 said:

So the big question is who's am I going to build? Mackie, Fairbanks, Beamont, Schrader, Payton, Ness or Berry?  Most of them probably!

With this new Tempest I guess that we will see some decals sheets released at the same time ..

Patrice  

• Like 2