1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I can see why I missed it, I was looking for a fatter shaped part. That’s completely wrong to my eye. 
Cheers.. Dave

I'm guessing that's the type on the TT.35 they scanned and is non-standard?

Just now, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

Don't worry Dave, I've done corrections as well as conversions. I have a one piece B.XVI bulged bomb bay without the TT.35 door detail, which does includes the rear section, and missing scribed detail. Also a flat B.IX and enlarged PR.34 fuel/camera bay to. Also Anti-shimmy tail wheel to correct kit part will be in each set. 

Well done that man 🙂

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

Thanks for those, looking pretty nice. I bet it's going to be a fun build. Is that three areas I see for the PR cameras aft of the bomb bay?

Looks like it and the canopy is already in the kit.

Overall, it's really nice but there's a few bits I'm unhappy with, especially the tailwheel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Thanks for those, looking pretty nice. I bet it's going to be a fun build. Is that three areas I see for the PR cameras aft of the bomb bay?

Only one little chap though.  How odd. Just ordered mine.  The first time I think I've ever ordered multiple boxes (two) of the same kit at the same time.  I'll probably order more seeing all those conversion sets acomin'. Happy days.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Colin @ Freightdog Models said:

I have a one piece B.XVI bulged bomb bay without the TT.35 door detail, which does includes the rear section, and missing scribed detail. Also a flat B.IX and enlarged PR.34 fuel/camera bay to. Also Anti-shimmy tail wheel to correct kit part will be in each set. 

Great stuff Colin - got my sights (cameras?) on doing an Operation Firedog PR.34A from 81 Squadron. I should be able to use your 1/48 decal sheet as a guide and source the correct markings or close enough - unless of course there are plans for 1/72 decals...?

Rich 

1 hour ago, RichG said:

By my calculation it is still summer (2021) and Airfix have delivered the mossie as promised.... credit were its due - well done Airfix!  Although shame about the rise in prices. 

Just received this message from Jadlam:

"Today, we have received our stock of Airfix A04023 Mosquito. This delivery arrived without notice and took us by surprise - apologies for not giving you a heads up!

Anyway, we have reviewed the pricing on this specific line and decided to take the price increase on the chin and honour all existing pre-orders. 

In the name of being open and honest, we will make a small loss once all pre-orders have been sent, but you're worth it. We hope you will continue to support and order from us - don't forget about those J-Points in your account!  Have a great day, the warehouse are packing your Mossies as I type!"

Well done Jadlam - great supplier and you'll get more of my business!

Rich 

That's pretty big of Jadlam.  Wish I'd ordered from them instead of directly from Arifix. Any follow-up orders I make will go to them.  They are a great company.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RichG said:

By my calculation it is still summer (2021) and Airfix have delivered the mossie as promised.... credit were its due - well done Airfix!  Although shame about the rise in prices. 

Just received this message from Jadlam:

"Today, we have received our stock of Airfix A04023 Mosquito. This delivery arrived without notice and took us by surprise - apologies for not giving you a heads up!

Anyway, we have reviewed the pricing on this specific line and decided to take the price increase on the chin and honour all existing pre-orders. 

In the name of being open and honest, we will make a small loss once all pre-orders have been sent, but you're worth it. We hope you will continue to support and order from us - don't forget about those J-Points in your account!  Have a great day, the warehouse are packing your Mossies as I type!"

Well done Jadlam - great supplier and you'll get more of my business!

Rich 

Judging by the weather I'm not sure it is even Summer yet so Airfix actually beat their own schedule!

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Only one little chap though.  How odd. Just ordered mine.  The first time I think I've ever ordered multiple boxes (two) of the same kit at the same time.  I'll probably order more seeing all those conversion sets acomin'. Happy days.

I assuming that the side camera goes where the circle with the extra bit on the back in thinner plastic is and the one right behind the bomb bay will be in a separate insert where the aft bomb bay fairing goes now.

DnGCNQP.jpeg

2 hours ago, john224 said:

Mine arrived a few minutes ago. Provides masks for painting the undersides before adding the undercarriage, not seen that before. Might be just me, but the pilot looks a bit "undernourished", and no navigator provided, which is odd. Overall, pretty impressed.

About time Airfix started providing masks.  Most manufactureres do these days on at least some of thier kits.  Maybe that accoutns for the proce increase.

2 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I assuming that the side camera goes where the circle with the extra bit on the back in thinner plastic is and the one right behind the bomb bay will be in a separate insert where the aft bomb bay fairing goes now.

DnGCNQP.jpeg

I wasn't aware of side mounted cameras on the Mosquito, only underside.

5 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

About time Airfix started providing masks.  Most manufactureres do these days on at least some of thier kits.  Maybe that accoutns for the proce increase.

These aren't canopy masks, rather plastic parts that go over the wheel well cut outs. Most Airfix kits already come with closed wheel well and bomb bay parts which I've always used as masks anyway. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Looks like it and the canopy is already in the kit.

Overall, it's really nice but there's a few bits I'm unhappy with, especially the tailwheel.

Yes that tail wheel looks so skinny. I'm still undecided whether to by this kit or not due to the number of fixes need, but we haven't seen the SH plastic yet so we don't know how good that I'll be. Maybe I'll get one and do a PR.34 and see what the kit is like.

3 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

These aren't canopy masks, rather plastic parts that go over the wheel well cut outs. Most Airfix kits already come with closed wheel well and bomb bay parts which I've always used as masks anyway. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks for the clarification.

8 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

I wasn't aware of side mounted cameras on the Mosquito, only underside.

Here's a good shot showing the five camera ports on a PR.XVI.

Mosquito_PR_XVI_NS502_544_Sqn_6.jpg

The PR.34 had one higher up.

Mosquito_PR_34_RG176.jpg

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Tbolt said:

Here's a good shot showing the five camera ports.

Mosquito_PR_XVI_NS502_544_Sqn_6.jpg

Ah.  I see what you mean, I think.  Is it the sort of quarter-light one you are referring to?

9 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Ah.  I see what you mean, I think.  Is it the sort of quarter-light one you are referring to?

I called it sideways but it really oblique, but it seems to be in the right area where the thinner plastic ( just behind the ejector pin mark) is on the kit.

2 hours ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

Correct

4CFIPln.png

Yes indeed, something is definitely off there? Surely part C2 should be at least the width of the bomb bay doors? I can't find any decent photos to clarify what I mean tho'.

Edited by keithjs

25 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Yes indeed, something is definitely off there? Surely part C2 should be at least the width of the bomb bay doors? I can't find any decent photos to clarify what I mean tho'.

I'm guessing it's the fairing on the TT.35 Airfix scanned? As opposed to the standard bugled fairing.

Is this the aircraft they scanned? It's seem to have this narrow type fairing.

IMG.jpg

Though it seems to look like this now with the standard fairing?

TA-634.jpg

4 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I'm guessing it's the fairing on the TT.35 Airfix scanned?

Yes, it certainly looks like it. I would have thought that this ‘error’ would have been picked up by the resident SME that Airfix normally consult for their new tooled subjects. Do Airfix credit anyone for their assistance in the instructions? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Do Airfix credit anyone for their assistance in the instructions? 

I don’t normally answer my own questions, however it looks like the RAF Museum (could have been anyone) and an Ian Thirsk. 

• Like 2

Looks nice. But it seems they have used the same under scale pilot chappie from their Spit Vc which has an undersized cockpit to go with him. Shame. Also the tailwheel was right in their Series 3 it from the 1970s so why not this time.   Talking about undersized figures, the 48th Chippy is the same with the figure being around 1/60th at a very rough guess.

May well have to think about getting one though. Decent 1/72 Mossies are scarce considering the popularity of the type.   I'd like to do one as a Spartan Air Services photo mapping example.... if someone would bring out decals for one that is. But not overly excited by the kit offering for markings so aftermarket decals will be prolific I dare say.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Looks nice. But it seems they have used the same under scale pilot chappie from their Spit Vc which has an undersized cockpit to go with him. Shame. Also the tailwheel was right in their Series 3 it from the 1970s so why not this time.   Talking about undersized figures, the 48th Chippy is the same with the figure being around 1/60th at a very rough guess.

May well have to think about getting one though. Decent 1/72 Mossies are scarce considering the popularity of the type.   I'd like to do one as a Spartan Air Services photo mapping example.... if someone would bring out decals for one that is. But not overly excited by the kit offering for markings so aftermarket decals will be prolific I dare say.

Manufacturers never seem to go back to their older kits and check for accuracy. I can think of several kits which have things missing or are inaccurate compared to their own, older toolings.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Is this the aircraft they scanned? It's seem to have this narrow type fairing.

21 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I don’t normally answer my own questions, however it looks like the RAF Museum (could have been anyone) and an Ian Thirsk. 

I belive they used TA639 at Cosford.

11 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Chippy is the same with the figure being around 1/60th at a very rough guess.

That would be an Air cadet then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

I belive they used TA639 at Cosford.

That would be an Air cadet then.

Okay thanks, she seems to have to same narrow, flat sided fairing fitted.

http://www.rodbearden.com/Cosford 2019/De Havilland Mosquito TT35 TA639 AZ-E 5.JPG

I found this photo showing a clear view of this type of fairing. Don't worry about the guns and "damage", this was from the filming of 633 Squadron. I guess this fairing needed to be like this for the tow gear to fit.

dfc350a64ee1131b866165b946dc59c3.jpg

• Thanks 1