1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

1 hour ago, franky boy said:

Now showing as in stock on the Airfix website🙂

I don't think that news has reached the Airfix shop yet, I pre-ordered one a few hours ago and it was still a pre-order as the confirmatory e-mail said.  

• Like 1

On 8/7/2021 at 10:13 PM, Tbolt said:

The way you worded it I thought you meant it would need an AM canopy, but we know we are getting a PR.XVI as they have already shown the kit with the PR canopy config.

As shown in that image though, it's a PR.IV canopy not a PR.XVI canopy. This is due to the teardrop observation blisters on either side window. This style of canopy was discontinued after the B.IX i.e. it was only ever used on glass-nosed variants without cockpit pressurization. You can see the correct blown bulged side window type used on all pressurized cockpit variants (i.e. B.XVI, PR.XVI and later)  on the various photos of fullsize aircraft above.

7 hours ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

As shown in that image though, it's a PR.IV canopy not a PR.XVI canopy. This is due to the teardrop observation blisters on either side window. This style of canopy was discontinued after the B.IX i.e. it was only ever used on glass-nosed variants without cockpit pressurization. You can see the correct blown bulged side window type used on all pressurized cockpit variants (i.e. B.XVI, PR.XVI and later)  on the various photos of fullsize aircraft above.

Okay thanks, looks like I was looking at bad references, like Airfix were as well! Anyway the image shows we are getting the astrodome and the side windows are separate parts so we have the canopy config for the PR.XVI , so chances are they will box one like they did in 1/48th scale.

And here it is, arrived through the door 40 minutes ago 

jux0cDF.jpg

71vCeyj.jpg

Nice interior detail

c663Gyz.jpg

h6E1Hxo.jpg?1

2 Prop & gear sprues

XIDR1e8.jpg

f0bF1hF.jpg

9E92Qxt.jpg

cVR1hQa.jpg

2 Canopys (Part 5 is not mentioned in  the instructions - future releases then!)

RG85oXj.jpg

1YqLm7c.jpg

20 Page instruction booklet

VB9S4cr.jpg?1

Going to be a nice build!

CT

• Like 14
  • Thanks 8

1 hour ago, Cheshiretaurus said:

And here it is, arrived through the door 40 minutes ago 

Nice interior detail

c663Gyz.jpg

Going to be a nice build!

CT

Thanks for those, looking pretty nice. I bet it's going to be a fun build. Is that three areas I see for the PR cameras aft of the bomb bay?

• Like 2

Mine arrived a few minutes ago. Provides masks for painting the undersides before adding the undercarriage, not seen that before. Might be just me, but the pilot looks a bit "undernourished", and no navigator provided, which is odd. Overall, pretty impressed.

• Like 1

By my calculation it is still summer (2021) and Airfix have delivered the mossie as promised.... credit where its due - well done Airfix!  Although shame about the rise in prices. 

Just received this message from Jadlam:

"Today, we have received our stock of Airfix A04023 Mosquito. This delivery arrived without notice and took us by surprise - apologies for not giving you a heads up!

Anyway, we have reviewed the pricing on this specific line and decided to take the price increase on the chin and honour all existing pre-orders. 

In the name of being open and honest, we will make a small loss once all pre-orders have been sent, but you're worth it. We hope you will continue to support and order from us - don't forget about those J-Points in your account!  Have a great day, the warehouse are packing your Mossies as I type!"

Well done Jadlam - great supplier and you'll get more of my business!

Rich 

Edited by RichG
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

No mention of a conversion set to a B.XVI though....

Do you replacement bomb bay doors? Isn't that just a case of sanding off the raised detail?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Rear bomb bay fairing as well.

Speaking of which, I can't see the kit provide example in those sprue photos... am I missing something? 

6 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Speaking of which, I can't see the kit provide example in those sprue photos... am I missing something? 

I was struggling as well, but I think it's here, item 2, near the top left.

9E92Qxt.jpeg

19 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Rear bomb bay fairing as well.

There does only seem to be the skinny fairing on the sprues. If it's missing I'm sure we will see a resin one from someone very quickly, hopefully along with a wider tail wheel assembly.

16 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

11 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

I was struggling as well, but I think it's here, item 2, near the top left.

Correct

4CFIPln.png

• Like 1

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released
1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

No mention of a conversion set to a B.XVI though....

Don't worry Dave, I've done corrections as well as conversions. I have a one piece B.XVI bulged bomb bay without the TT.35 door detail, which does includes the rear section, and missing scribed detail. Also a flat B.IX and enlarged PR.34 fuel/camera bay to. Also Anti-shimmy tail wheel to correct kit part will be in each set. 

Colin

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3