1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

For clarification  if you are building an Oboe equipped DH Mosquito B.XVI  the bomb aimers perspex nose areas were overpainted to hide the secret Oboe installation in the bomb aimers walkway. I am still trying to find out the correct paint colour  for this as photographs vary. This applies to B.XVI aircraft used by No.105 and 109 Squadrons at RAF Bourn and Little Staughton respectively.

If you are building a B.XVI bulged bomb bay version , to compensate for the 4,000lb Cookie load the elevator balance weights(horns) at the end were enlarged. I cannot see this on the Airfix kit ? but easy to scratch build. The B.IV  4,000lb bulged bombay versions also had increased elevator balances  as did the B.25 with bulged bomb bay and PR.32/34 versions.

I hope forum readers maybe able to add further information. Looking forward to the new Airfix model  hoping an NF.30 and NF.36 are in the pipeline.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2021 at 12:59 PM, Rabbit Leader said:

I’ve just watched this video as well. It was great to see some of the new design concepts as well as the various instruction diagrams that will accompany this new Mosquito kit.. it’s going to be a real cracker. We are very fortunate to have what Phil describes as “a modeller first, designer second”. This unique quality allows Paramjit to design his models with the modeller in mind and he goes out of his way to describe some of the new features that will make this Mosquito build more enjoyable. The kit will feature separate two sided well hubs and the ability to insert the undercarriage assemblies well after painting. Unfortunately there was no mention of canopy options and the bomb bay issues were not raised, but overall enough new content shown to suggest that this will be another gem of a new tool Airfix kit. I’ll be getting at least a couple. 
Cheers.. Dave

Dave, in one of the 'workbench' posts about the new Mossie they did say there are going to be both the 'Teardrop bubble' side windows and the 'Blown' type, something I sent them a message about. 

Davey.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2021 at 15:49, T-21 said:

For clarification  if you are building an Oboe equipped DH Mosquito B.XVI  the bomb aimers perspex nose areas were overpainted to hide the secret Oboe installation in the bomb aimers walkway. I am still trying to find out the correct paint colour  for this as photographs vary. This applies to B.XVI aircraft used by No.105 and 109 Squadrons at RAF Bourn and Little Staughton respectively.

If you are building a B.XVI bulged bomb bay version , to compensate for the 4,000lb Cookie load the elevator balance weights(horns) at the end were enlarged. I cannot see this on the Airfix kit ? but easy to scratch build. The B.IV  4,000lb bulged bombay versions also had increased elevator balances  as did the B.25 with bulged bomb bay and PR.32/34 versions.

I hope forum readers maybe able to add further information. Looking forward to the new Airfix model  hoping an NF.30 and NF.36 are in the pipeline.

There's no photographic evidence for enlarged elevators on the mk 16. The B.IVs with the bulged bay definitely did, but the XVIs had longer engine nacelles which brought the COG back under control.

There were only 5, perhaps 6, B.XXVs converted to carry the 4,000lb bomb, all with two stage Merlins and all converted in the UK (there were no Mosquitoes built in Canada with two stage Merlins bar a one off fighter bomber variant), but no more as the end of the war was in sight.

I'd like to know which reference this is stated in, as the only ones that seem to be peddling this myth are the Richard Franks Mosquito Data file and his two Valiant Wings books. All are full of assumptions, errors and downright falsehoods <REMOVED>

Edited by Mike
Political statement removed. We don't care who you support, just leave it at the door.
  • Like 5

Please excuse this question from a two-stage Merlin Mossie novice, but based on what we've seen could one build a B.35 OOB? Or is that part of the TT.35 door issue?

On 6/23/2021 at 7:19 AM, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I don't like doors being open unless they're meant to be open.

They do both in real life, right? The vast majority of doors I've encountered have opened and closed when appropriate, anyway.

• Like 1

I think I'll save mine for a while and see if anyone will come up with some decals for civilian Mossies to suit. For example Spartan Air Services mapping Mossie  or the BEA one's used G-AJZEand F for gust research before giving them back to the R A F.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Please excuse this question from a two-stage Merlin Mossie novice, but based on what we've seen could one build a B.35 OOB? Or is that part of the TT.35 door issue?

They do both in real life, right? The vast majority of doors I've encountered have opened and closed when appropriate, anyway.

Yes it's the same for canopy positions; open or closed or flaps on a Spitfire. The only thing you shouldn't model is something that is physically impossible.

Harsh words from  The wooksta V2.0  , I'm visiting Salisbury Hall tomorrow and will enquire about Mosquito B.XVI elevator horn balances. I've also contacted the RAAF Museum re their preserved PR.XVI A52-600.

Edited by T-21

13 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Yes.  The kit includes the leading edge landing light seen on post war aircraft.  The B.35 is largely a 16 with different engines and other minor improvements.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I'd like to know which reference this is stated in, as the only ones that seem to be peddling this myth are the Richard Franks Mosquito Data file and his two Valiant Wings books. All are full of assumptions, errors and downright falsehoods

3 hours ago, T-21 said:

Harsh words from  The wooksta V2.0

I can assure anyone reading this that this is also the case for the Valiant Wings Hurricane book.   The Boomerang book is also riddled with errors.(I was sent a partial list) 

Sadly, as the books are well produced and professional looking,  that they assumed to be well researched and to be relied upon is  unsurprising.

I can usually do about five minutes on the Hurricane titles before I get rather cross.  Yes, I have been making notes,  and I even phoned the publisher, to  say 'It's not very good'  who was very affable,  but trusts his authors.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

The latest Airfix magazine (August issue) has a build of the Airfix Mosquito in it.

Looking pretty nice. The bomb bay doors seem to be an easy fix and the tail wheel still looks skinny. But the worst part to me, as it's not the easiest of fixes, is it looks like the canopy has all the framing external.

It looks like the modeller has painted the side windows rather strangely?

It makes me think I might wait for the Special Hobby kit, though I wait and see what the experts says when they get hold of the Airfix kit.

Also in that issue they show why it's not a good idea to use black to highlight panel lines on the Vulcan build!

47 minutes ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

The XVI had heavier framing to deal with the pressurisation.

I'm certainly concerned about the tailwheel, whilst the wire frame guards on the U/C legs look a tad heavy.

Yes I would replace those with some wire as they are a bit chunky.

Heavier framing yes, but wasn’t some of it still internal?

I’ve just downloaded the digital Airfix mag as our paper editions take the slow boat and won’t arrive for another two months. I have to agree with the comments above, there’s something not quite right with that review models canopy and IMO it kinda throws the whole look off a little. Perhaps it’s the heavy framing or even the overall fit as the rear of the canopy has a small ridge before it meets the fuselage spine. On the articles text, I prefer to read about the kits inclusions rather than knowing what Vallejo paint the reviewer used, but perhaps that’s just me. On the credit side, what’s shown is a very nice model and thankfully not one where black panel line washes have overemphasised the surface details. I’ll still buy one as its still gotta be better than the alternatives out there. 
Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3

I think using Vallejo paints casts the attitude of the reviewer to accuracy in considerable doubt.  Vallejo paints do not do the dedicated colours for aircraft modelling.  If he does that how can he be well-informed on the subject, or is this some kind of sponsorship/advertising deal?  However, producing a review model for Airfix (i.e. Hornby) without using Humbrol (i.e. Hornby) seems a bit like biting the hand that feeds you. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

10 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I think using Vallejo paints casts the attitude of the reviewer to accuracy in considerable doubt.  Vallejo paints do not do the dedicated colours for aircraft modelling.  If he does that how can he be well-informed on the subject, or is this some kind of sponsorship/advertising deal?  However, producing a review model for Airfix (i.e. Hornby) without using Humbrol (i.e. Hornby) seems a bit like biting the hand that feeds you. 

Actually Vallejo have a number of colours dedicated to aircraft modelling. The accuracy of these can of course be debated and some are to my eyes pretty suspect. At the same time paints that decently represent the proper MAP colours can be found in their ranges and I've personally used and keep using several of their paints on my own models of WW2 and postwar RAF types with satisfaction

Have to agree though that a review in an Airfix magazine using paints not from Humbrol sounds strange

Edited by Giorgio N

On 7/1/2021 at 1:43 PM, Tbolt said:

It makes me think I might wait for the Special Hobby kit, though I wait and see what the experts says when they get hold of the Airfix kit.

Special Hobby prepares many versions of the Mosquito, here it is shown on the example of the nine different bomb bay doors.
https://www.specialhobby.net/2021/03/mosquito-s-dvoustupnovymi-kompresory.html

I myself will wait for the release of Special Hobby and see what versions they announce. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

What’s everyone’s impressions of Airfix’s rear bomb bay fuselage blister? I cannot see anything similar being produced from Special Hobby who seem to be offering a number of various configurations in their kits. My eyes are telling me that the Airfix offering is too small and skinny, however will be guided by other opinions here. 

Cheers.. Dave 

7 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Special Hobby prepares many versions of the Mosquito, here it is shown on the example of the nine different bomb bay doors.

I myself will wait for the release of Special Hobby and see what versions they announce. 

I known, see the thread here. Of course there is also the AZ kit coming, though they've only mentioned the NF.30 so far so we don't know what other version they will be doing.

But we haven't seen the SH plastic yet and it could be a few years before we see it. While I'm sure I will be buying a number of the SH kits I'll wait to see what the Airfix kit is like.

8 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Doesn't look like they're doing the TT35 bomb doors though - and that's the version I want.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rossm said:

Doesn't look like they're doing the TT35 bomb doors though - and that's the version I want.

Don't worry - if there's a demand for TT35 bomb doors, my guess is that Quickboost (or whoever) will be quite happy to satisfy that demand if the kit manufacturer doesn't.

John

5 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Look higher in the thread.  The Airfix kit is currently being shown as with TT.Mk.35 bomb bay doors.

Correct, so I won't be waiting for SH to release their kit(s) 😉