1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

Hannants are already preparing a set of suitable decals:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72334

However the last version  (a post-war B.16) is fitted with what is called a ventral radar pod. Would this be similar to the HS2 fairings fitted to Lancasters & Lincolns or would the slimmer Mosquito fuselage need a smaller type?

51143212197_41af6b4ad6_h.jpgUntitled by Gavin Edgerton, on Flickr

Edge

Edited by Edge
To include image
  • Like 2

Do we really need that many (if any) roundels on this decal sheet?? Why not throw in a half dozen more colourful NLSF squadron codes and serials to offer the modeller more of a choice? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

• Like 3

On 10/01/2021 at 00:17, fishplanebeer said:

A nice pic to be going on with of a line up of BXVI's

spacer.png 

The image is in the public domain and shows PF563 (amongst others) which was apparently built by Percival and lacks the upper canopy blister seen on other examples, so perhaps this variation may be included with the kit?

Regards

Colin.

Interesting to note the camo demarcation is lower down the sides of the engines than normal.

39 minutes ago, Paul J said:

Interesting to note the camo demarcation is lower down the sides of the engines than normal.

I can’t remember where I read this, however II believe that lower demarcation line was a feature particular to Percival build Mosquitos. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Edge said:

However the last version  (a post-war B.16) is fitted with what is called a ventral radar pod. Would this be similar to the HS2 fairings fitted to Lancasters & Lincolns or would the slimmer Mosquito fuselage need a smaller type?

Edge

I saw that sheet the other day. I'll definitely be getting it, as every example fits in with my local aviation history theme (my main area of interest). Bourn and Gravely are just a few miles from where I live.

I think Airfix will be doing quite well out of me on this one, providing they don't stuff it up!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Edge said:

Edge

Unless Hannants know something we don't, there's no available conversion to do that particular airframe.  I've tried an old tool Airfix Lancaster H2S radome and it's way too big. Closest I can think of -and it would need modifying - is the radar blister from a late Barracuda.

May have to be out with the balsa, talc and dope!

The comments about the roundels is valid, as they could have shoehorned a good few extra on the sheet.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Unless Hannants know something we don't, there's no available conversion to do that particular airframe.  I've tried an old tool Airfix Lancaster H2S radome and it's way too big. Closest I can think of -and it would need modifying - is the radar blister from a late Barracuda.

Would a Swordfish one be close? I don't have one to check what it looks like.

Didn't the Matchbox kit have a radar blister? Not sure from memory it would be the right shape. I know I don't have one to check.

Matchbox Lancaster or Halifax?

Perhaps Ali may have a look at 3d printing one? Or the Oboe Repeata radome.   The nosecone fitted to some Oboe equipped aircraft had a different shape too, so there's another possibility. A nose for a thimble nose mk.XII wouldn't go amiss either.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

The comments about the roundels is valid, as they could have shoehorned a good few extra on the sheet.

Could be they know someone is already working on a conversion for it ? 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

That’s what I was concerned about! Nice postwar scheme but too much additional work to create the airframe for me.

14 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Do we really need that many (if any) roundels on this decal sheet?? Why not throw in a half dozen more colourful NLSF squadron codes and serials to offer the modeller more of a choice? 

Cheers.. Dave. 

That's a really good question, Dave. Have you asked them?

3 hours ago, k5054nz said:

That's a really good question, Dave. Have you asked them?

Ask who.. Hannants?? I’d hardly think they would listen now that the artwork has been published. I would consider buying this sheet if it had more unique squadron subject choices, but honestly think the large amount of repeat national insignia provided is just a space filler.

There will be no need to replace the kit supplied roundels, as history suggests these will be perfect in both colour and register. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Didn't the Matchbox kit have a radar blister? Not sure from memory it would be the right shape. I know I don't have one to check.

Matchbox Lancaster or Halifax?

Perhaps Ali may have a look at 3d printing one? Or the Oboe Repeata radome.   The nosecone fitted to some Oboe equipped aircraft had a different shape too, so there's another possibility. A nose for a thimble nose mk.XII wouldn't go amiss either.

Like your thinking re an aftermarket solution!

Edge

23 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Do we really need that many (if any) roundels on this decal sheet??

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. 
Adding roundels on a sheet would allow for multiple builds without having to resort to kit decals for some (that may be in a different shade). 
I can see why they would do so, it also means having the option of doing separate decal sheets for other markings and more sales. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

There will be no need to replace the kit supplied roundels, as history suggests these will be perfect in both colour and register. 

Funniest thing I've seen this week.

However, even if so (it has been known to happen sometimes), this would be of no assistance to modellers working from other kits and conversion parts.  My query would be whether the Xtradecal sheet managed to print the yellow outer ring correctly.  Not their (or other companies) strong point.  The sooner they start printing the yellow rings separately the happier I'll be,

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Funniest thing I've seen this week.

However, even if so (it has been known to happen sometimes), this would be of no assistance to modellers working from other kits and conversion parts.  My query would be whether the Xtradecal sheet managed to print the yellow outer ring correctly.  Not their (or other companies) strong point.  The sooner they start printing the yellow rings separately the happier I'll be,

Yes it's not like you have to use this sheet for the Airfix kit. But what does annoy me is they supply roundels for all the options but not a single stencil. I know in this case Barracuda and Aviaeology do Mosquito stencil sets, but there's many types that separate stencils are not easily available, but it's just seems that quite a few decal manufactures now days expect you to use the kit stencils, but you may be buying AM decals because the kit one are rubbish or damaged. So to me I would rather the number of roundels be reduced as the majority of people buying sheets like this are unlikely to build every option on it and add stencils added.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

My only issue is actually I want to build a PRXVI rather than a bomber, PRU Blue USAAF with the red tail.....hopefully will be possible with the parts in the kit and hopefully the decals become available 

You're not the only one. Obviously Airfix always try and keep it secret what other versions they are planning but I hope a PR.XVI is one of the planned ones, though I suspect the parts will not be in the initial boxing. If not there's always the SH kit.

• Like 1

Am I right in saying that the Xtradecals instruction sheets are incorrect in showing the tailplanes shaped a la PR34 and B35? Not material if the artwork is correct, but I find that Xtradecals' research is often a bit iffy (as is the register of their roundels). 

Justin

Edited by Bedders

No, I think we'll likely see it March next year, but I'd like to be wrong. We haven't had sprue shots yet. Covid and Brexit issues aside, Airfix release dates are best considered as wish lists. We've only just got the Beaufort, and still waiting on the simple Spit Vc and the Vulcan. I'm very doubtful of the Mosquito before next year.

I've got my order in with the LGS for a dozen. Should do to start with...