1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

Just to add that the images on the Airfix web site clearly show the blown side window blisters so no need to worry about this aspect of the kit.

Can't wait for it to arrive as this has been a long time coming, so hats off to Airfix for their new 72nd scale additions this year as personally they are all kits I've been hoping for.

Regards

Colin

On 08/01/2021 at 14:07, mouse808 said:

Sorry hope this isn't a daft question, but how come the price difference? (I headed straight over to Airfix to pre-order, then noticed the link on scalemates when I marked it as on order)

Airfix website £22.99
jadlam £18.95

I know its only a few quid.

I noticed this also - Series 4 price is normally GBP19.99 RRP, but Mosquito is higher. Hannants have listed as GBP19.99 reduced to GBP17.99 for a pre order.

A nice pic to be going on with of a line up of BXVI's

spacer.png 

The image is in the public domain and shows PF563 (amongst others) which was apparently built by Percival and lacks the upper canopy blister seen on other examples, so perhaps this variation may be included with the kit?

Regards

Colin.

• Like 2

Just to add that the images on the Airfix web site also show a bomb load of 4 x 500lb (?) bombs so hopefully these will be included, and even perhaps the 4000lb 'cookie' as well given that the bomb bay doors look to be the correct bulged variety specifically installed to accommodate it, only the early examples having the standard type fitted.

Regards

Colin.

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

Just to add that the images on the Airfix web site also show a bomb load of 4 x 500lb (?) bombs so hopefully these will be included, and even perhaps the 4000lb 'cookie' as well given that the bomb bay doors look to be the correct bulged variety specifically installed to accommodate it, only the early examples having the standard type fitted.

Regards

Colin.

Somehow I doubt they will include a cookie unless it is in a dedicated seperate boxing of the Mossie as they like for us to spend our money on extra boxings, a variant of the HC 4,000lb cookie though one can obtain from their bomber resupply set assuming the cookie variants carried by Mossies are exactly the same in appearance (I am no expert), whether attachment modifications are required I do not know either?

Edited by Uncle Dick

9 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Just to add that the images on the Airfix web site clearly show the blown side window blisters

The images on the Airfix page for the new release https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2021/de-havilland-mosquito.html show the side windows to be blister windows which are incorrect for the Initial release BXVI. The correct blown side windows for this mark are shown in the Percival production BXVI lineup photo above. These are two distinctly different types of window which you're conflating. The side blister windows would be appropriate for the earlier BIX. Hopefully both style of window will be tooled and ideally provided in all boxings.

23 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

I would sincerely hope they did provide appropriate bombs.

Darrell Burge says in the release video above that "it will come with all the munitions and bombs that this type (BXVI) carried" and the CAD clearly shows 4 x 500lb bombs, so looks like we're definitely getting these. Whether we're going to get a 4000lb cookie that the BXVI carried in this boxing or a future release remains to be seen.

7 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

the bomb bay doors look to be the correct bulged variety

The bomb bay doors both illustrated and CAD are the unique variants used on the TT35 with external recesses (and internal bulges) to accommodate towed sleeve targets. The rear bomb bay fairing show is also TT35 as it also has recesses for stowage of towed sleeve targets. These doors are not appropriate for any other mark, and due to the internal bulges wouldn't close over a 4000lb cookie. Hopefully Airfix have tooled the plain bulged doors for the BXVI.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Hopefully Airfix have tooled the plain bulged doors for the BXVI.

Well in case they haven’t, it may be best to let them know before they proceed too far. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Dave Swindell said:

The bomb bay doors both illustrated and CAD are the unique variants used on the TT35 with external recesses (and internal bulges) to accommodate towed sleeve targets

While I share your caution this could be a good sign. We've seen them show CAD renderings before which are mix of marks, leading to multiple marks being released in the fullness of time, so maybe there will be a TT.35 release in the future

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Work In Progress said:

While I share your caution this could be a good sign.

Agreed, or it could be an oversight from the lidar survey of the TT35 at Cosford, but my money is on there being several versions of this kit covering the major versions of the 2 stage bomber nose Mosquito, and, fingers crossed, single stage bomber nose variants as well. Whilst fighter nose variants as well would be Mosquito heaven, I think this may be a bit too much to expect from this tooling. Sprue layouts will give a better idea of what might be possible from this tooling. The new starter set Spitfire VC is virtually a complete retool of the standard range VC using the same basic CAD, so there is new form for a move away from minor tooling changes for new kit variants.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

there is new form for a move away from minor tooling changes for new kit variants.

This is well-observed, and something I had not really given a lot of thought to.  Yes, I suppose in the realm of Premier League high-volume subject matter, this could well imply forthcoming mould strategies which depart from previous practice

13 hours ago, IT_Man said:

I noticed this also - Series 4 price is normally GBP19.99 RRP, but Mosquito is higher. Hannants have listed as GBP19.99 reduced to GBP17.99 for a pre order.

I just heard from Hannants - "the price on the official Airfix pricelist is £19.99 - so it's a bit strange they're listing £22.99 on their own website!!"

7 hours ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Well, as the illustration shows a fully loaded aircraft, one would hope so. It would be slightly irksome having to fork out another large sum of money just to obtain said item!😉

John

Well they made you buy the resupply set to get bombs for their Lancs  but the B-17 had a bomb load notwithstanding the USAAF set being available so it’s anyone’s guess! 

• Like 1

Firstly apologies for confusing the 'blister' canopy sides with the 'blown' type that were fitted to the B.XVI, my only mitigation is that I'm no expert on the Mossie what so ever having never built one since the mid-70's and never delved too deeply into the various marks until now.

My understanding (from my only book on the Mossie, "Mosquito In Action" by Squadron Signal/August 2017), is that the B.XVI was essentially a pressurised version of the B.IX so as apparently some B.IX's were retrofitted with the bulged bomb doors could the kit also represent this earlier version, or are there any external differences between the two types other than the blown canopy sides?

Regards

Colin.

My favourit is a all-black painted PR.MK XVI Special Operations Mosquito from the 654th BS USAAF used in France spring of 1945.

Found a picture in "Mosquito - the original multi-role combat aircraft by G. Simons, Pen and Sword 2011, page 101.

modelldoc

16 hours ago, fishplanebeer said:

Firstly apologies for confusing the 'blister' canopy sides with the 'blown' type that were fitted to the B.XVI, my only mitigation is that I'm no expert on the Mossie what so ever having never built one since the mid-70's and never delved too deeply into the various marks until now.

My understanding (from my only book on the Mossie, "Mosquito In Action" by Squadron Signal/August 2017), is that the B.XVI was essentially a pressurised version of the B.IX so as apparently some B.IX's were retrofitted with the bulged bomb doors could the kit also represent this earlier version, or are there any external differences between the two types other than the blown canopy sides?

Regards

Colin.

No worries Colin, I make no claims to being an expert but I do have a keen interest in the Mossie.

Yes, you're correct, a B.XVI is essentially a pressurised B.IX, and the key modelling differences are the change from side blisters to blown side panels on the canopy, and from flush bomb bay doors to bulged. You'd have to check individual airframes for retrofitting of bulged bomb doors. There would be other minor differences due to fitting pressurisation that wouldn't be visible at all or hardly noticeable at 1/72nd scale, so could be realistically ignored if you plan on modelling a different one (assuming Airfix don't give us alternate side canopy panels and flush bomb bay doors at some point)

Ithey do a IX version would be nice to do LR593 F for Freddie I have always wanted to do this one but never been able to locate a set of decals in 1/72 203 missions. There is a nice model of it at De Havilland musuem and I think it a real shame it is not readily available for modellers

• Like 1

Mmm...

Would those wings with engines be usefull also toghether with an Timiya Mosquito nightfighter fuselage? Or would that be an version that never existed?

Cheers / André 

3 hours ago, elger said:

Well there's the NF 30, a night fighter with the two-stage Merlins, but I think that they were equipped with the thimble nose as standard.

NF30 had the "Bull" nose, also known as the Universal nose.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Work In Progress said:

Indeed, as provided in both the old Matchbox 1/72 two-stage Merlin Mossie and the Airfix 1/48 one

Personally I think of it as the "second ugliest" nose 

163856-12155-pristine.jpg

I'm guessing the ugliest being the TT39 Target Tug?  (so ugly if it was a baby the midwife would have slapped the mother!)

• Haha 10