1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

You can bet that Airfix will release the PR version at some time, why would they miss that opportunity, it doesn't need many alternative parts.

If SH and or AZ/KP release it too it will be a waste of efforts IMO.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, occa said:

You can bet that Airfix will release the PR version at some time, why would they miss that opportunity, it doesn't need many alternative parts.

If SH and or AZ/KP release it too it will be a waste of efforts IMO.

There are enough differences between the fighter and bomber variants of the Mosquito to think that the Airfix kit will only cover the bomber and, perhaps, PR versions. That leaves and opening for SH and AZ to do the fighter versions and the aircraft with single-stage Merlins. A Sea Mosquito TR.33 would be nice too.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, VMA131Marine said:

There are enough differences between the fighter and bomber variants of the Mosquito to think that the Airfix kit will only cover the bomber and, perhaps, PR versions. That leaves and opening for SH and AZ to do the fighter versions and the aircraft with single-stage Merlins. A Sea Mosquito TR.33 would be nice too.

One would think Airfix will try to maximise their investment by doing as many two stage versions as possible. We may be able to investigate this once we see the kit sprues, however I’d bet / hope that Airfix will grace us with the various Fighter versions as time goes on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

One would think Airfix will try to maximise their investment by doing as many two stage versions as possible. We may be able to investigate this once we see the kit sprues, however I’d bet / hope that Airfix will grace us with the various Fighter versions as time goes on. 

Cheers.. Dave 

It’s difficult to tell, but the CAD does not appear to show the Airfix fuselage having a fuselage break to allow for an alternate fighter nose. Fighters had the flat windscreen and side entry door in addition to the gun nose and cannon ports (the reason why the door had to be relocated). Without the nose break, Airfix would have to tool up two sets of fuselage halves to accommodate bomber and fighter variants, plus all the alternate cockpit parts and canopies. I’m not saying it’s not possible, just not likely based on past history. I think it’s more likely that they would tool up single stage engine nacelles so the B.IV would be possible.

• Like 3

I still haven’t seen anything of the 3D renders because the Airfix site is always unavailable (it’s now offline again) so could some kind soul post up pics please?!

Trevor

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

I still haven’t seen anything of the 3D renders because the Airfix site is always unavailable (it’s now offline again) so could some kind soul post up pics please?!

Trevor

Good morning Trevor

https://www.airfix.com/uk-en/shop/new-for-2021/de-havilland-mosquito.html

210108085030128328.jpg

210108085030249065.jpg

210108085030524721.jpg

210108085030781938.jpg

21010808503134322.jpg

210108085031320525.jpg

210108085031793289.jpg

21010808503246007.jpg

Patrice

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I can foresee one concise decal sheet with representative options for all of the LNSF squadrons. The sad fact is that someone as stupid as me will then develop plans to build all of them! 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

At least it will be possible to build the Airfix Beaufort and it will be generally accurate. There are nightmare stories on the internet by people who have tried to assemble the SH kit.

I wouldn't believe everything you read. I built it when it came out along with a High Planes and an old Frog kit, and it posed no special problems for a limited run kit. Since then, the standard of Special Hobby kits has improved a lot. Accuracy is a different matter, because it wasn't (no point asking me what was wrong though - as is usual I learn as much as I can before building something then forget everything I did as a result once finished, although the old thinky bits usually retain a good record of the construction experience in terms of fun or not).

That said, I'll have at least one Airfix kit anyway.

Paul.

Edited by Paul Thompson
Posting doubled up for some reason.
  • Like 3

As per the thread in chat, I do hope it's a graphics error on the boxart and markings because the canopy shown on those is suitable for earlier bombers, not the B.XVI and later. The 3D model renders aren't quite clear enough to see if they have the correct blown side windows or not.

The escape hatch with the astrodome was used on the PRs and B.35 rather than the B.XVI but the blown side windows were common to all the glass-nosed types with pressurised cockpits.

A19640023000AER01.jpg

The teardrop blisters shown on the box art and markings graphics were used on unpressurised B.IV, PR.IV and B.IX models.

Mosquito_B_IV_DZ353_105_Sqn_2.jpg

Indeed ML963 - the famous 8K-K featured on the markings graphics clearly shows the later blown side windows.

DH98_Mosquito_bomber.jpg

However, I reiterate that we haven't seen the sprues yet and the 3D model renders appear inconclusive. It would be a great move by Airfix to include 3 canopies on the clear runner allowing a lot of reboxing potential for the tooling.

• Like 7

Airfix tend to be good for providing a multitude of canopies on their clear sprues, so perhaps the builder used the earlier (Mk. IX) canopy instead of the correct blown sided (Mk.XIV) type - my thoughts only as I haven’t seen the sprues either! 

Cheers.. Dave 

Silly question maybe, but they WILL provide a 'cookie' - it being the obvious load for one of these?

Or are they anticipating increased sales of the Bomber Re-Supply set? 😄 

2 minutes ago, IanC said:

Or are they anticipating increased sales of the Bomber Support set?

Now there’s an idea.. release certain items found within the Bomber Supply set (Cookie, trolley and perhaps tractor) and release a special edition LNSF boxed Gift Set with new decals? There’s another boxing that might tempt additional sales?? 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I was taking a look at the CAD pictures of the Mosquito on the Airfix site and it doesn't appear to show the nose and cockpit as a separate sub-assembly, not that that is proof of anything of course, but I reckon you are right.  Having said that I wouldn't be surprised if some enterprising after-market company produced a cockpit and nose conversion set, especially if the SH kit is not forthcoming.  Then again, if the bomb bay structure is integral to the build, rather than designed with a standard bomb bay also possible, it would be quite a major conversion.   All complete specualtion on my part, of course. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Now there’s an idea.. release certain items found within the Bomber Supply set (Cookie, trolley and perhaps tractor) and release a special edition LNSF boxed Gift Set with new decals? There’s another boxing that might tempt additional sales?? 
Cheers.. Dave 

And here it is:

spacer.png

Wrong mark tho..

• Like 5

Sorry hope this isn't a daft question, but how come the price difference? (I headed straight over to Airfix to pre-order, then noticed the link on scalemates when I marked it as on order)

Airfix website £22.99
jadlam £18.95

I know its only a few quid.

1 hour ago, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

As per the thread in chat, I do hope it's a graphics error on the boxart and markings because the canopy shown on those is suitable for earlier bombers, not the B.XVI and later. The 3D model renders aren't quite clear enough to see if they have the correct blown side windows or not.

I'd be cautiously optimistic at the moment that the blisters on the artwork is an error, and that the 3d printed test model and released CAD images are hinting at either in box options or possible different variant releases.

Airfix have said that the Cosford TT35 (currently masquerading as a bomber) was lidar'd and the results used in designing the kit. This aircraft is fitted with blown side windows and an escape hatch blister.

The 3d printed test model shown on the youtube release video has the upper blister and the side panels are moulded as separate parts as per the Tamiya kit, it's not clear whether these are blown or blister type.

The CAD renders show no upper blister, and side blisters, so hopefully the parts have been designed for both types of side panel and both types of escape hatch/main canopy.

The CAD renders also show a late type landing light in the stbd wing leading edge as well as the normal underwing retractable lamps, and also the TT35 bomb doors and cut back rear bomb bay fairing, these are also shown on the colour scheme illustrations. Hopefully plain doors and fairings have also been designed for the BXVI and we're seeing hints of a later TT35 release.

There's, what appears to be a rear PR variant fuselage camera port.

The carburettor intakes are separate parts so possibility of tropical intakes as an option

The elevator horn balances look to be standard size, no enlarged ones shown for late PR and Cookie bombers (small additional tooling to include?)

No single stage engines indicated (possible future release? depending on tooling parts layout)

No indication of PR bomb bay bulge options (small additional tooling to include?)

No indication of Fighter nose variants, would need new fuselage and cockpit tooling, so unlikely (but would be more than happy to be proved wrong!)

The radio fit seems a bit confused, with a T1154 set on the rear shelf appropriate for an early BIV (but no R1155) and the type 62 Gee indicator behind the pilot appropriate for the BXVI, but not the receiver and other associated boxes that sat on the rear shelf behind it. 

I think we can look forward to various two stage bomber nose version boxings of this in the future, and possibly single stage bomber nose versions as well, but I'd say any fighter nose versions are unlikely.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, mouse808 said:

Sorry hope this isn't a daft question, but how come the price difference? (I headed straight over to Airfix to pre-order, then noticed the link on scalemates when I marked it as on order)

Airfix website £22.99
jadlam £18.95

I know its only a few quid.

You do realise that any attempts by manufacturers to dictate the prices charged by retaileers are illegal, don't you?

Retailers can sell at any margin they want to sell at.

• Like 3

Just £17.99 at Hannants if you pre-order, which I just have along with the new Tempest V and Wellington II.

Hope they get them a wee bit more promptly from Airfix than the recent Spit Vc mind, but there again I'm happy to wait a little longer if that's the case.

Regards

Colin.