1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - release Summer 2021
1 hour ago, caughtinthemiddle said:

Poor Special Hobby, they've been working on 2-stage Mossie family for a while...

I think they held it back cause they learned Airfix would do it.

1 hour ago, alt-92 said:

Two-stage Mossie.

Finally.

I can die in peace now... :P

But not before you build a load of them

• Haha 2

I wonder if the moulds will have provision for a fighter version? If not still leaves SH or AZ space for one. Given that we have seen much about the Czech projects makes me think they have been on the back burner, after all there are so many 109s to do 

• Haha 1

Good morning

This is the SH announcement in 2017   

But they have not given any new information on this project for several months , on the other hand they released a 109 without having announced it before ...

Patrice

• Like 1

Another splendid choice!   It'll save me from butchering my Tamiya one I discovered  have in my stash and replacing the engines with the Pavla Resin 2-stagers.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

I was just about to say the same thing and personally would rather an Airfix kit than one from SH. 

I would agree if accuracy and availability are the most important aspects, as today Airfix kits are guaranteed to be pretty accurate (at least in the shape of the main parts) and they are easily available in many shops (except here in Italy...) while not all SH kits have been accurate and they are not a brand that can be found easily everywhere.

However when it comes to other aspects I feel that the most recent Special Hobby kits are of a higher quality than what Airfix is producing, with finer moulds and better detail.

Said that, since Airfix wil issue this subject for sure while SH may or may not, there's no choice anyway, it's Airfix or nothing.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Giorgio N said:

I would agree if accuracy and availability are the most important aspects, as today Airfix kits are guaranteed to be pretty accurate (at least in the shape of the main parts) and they are easily available in many shops (except here in Italy...) while not all SH kits have been accurate and they are not a brand that can be found easily everywhere.

However when it comes to other aspects I feel that the most recent Special Hobby kits are of a higher quality than what Airfix is producing, with finer moulds and better detail.

Said that, since Airfix wil issue this subject for sure while SH may or may not, there's no choice anyway, it's Airfix or nothing.

Hello, 

I am 100% on par with you - same exact words... 

Eric B.

13 minutes ago, lasermonkey said:

If Airfix are only doing the bomber/reconnaissance versions (we don't know for sure yet) then SH could always do the fighter versions, thereby complementing rather than competing. That might make sense.

Good afternoon

I might be wrong but seeing at the last Airfix kits I think that they are just the doing the Bomber /Reconnaissance version ..

And SH could do the fighter versions once they have finished with  109 kits (that are completeley unecessary for me )..

Patrice 

• Like 1

Praise be!  Thanks to my frequent whinning about their being no two-stage Mosquito in 1/72 on Britmodeller Airfix have seen the light.  Seriously though this was THE one I wanted to hear was coming.  Fantastic news.  So many schemes as well.  I would reckon a PR XVI boxing will follow.  I had to frantically scramble around to check whether it was going to be 1/72 or 1/48 as it doesn't say on the website. 

Excellent news, very glad they decided not to overlap with Tamiya and went for the two-stage variant instead. ML957 straight out the box for me, maybe with a 4000lb cookie!

Interior CAD seems to suggest they got the later radio fit including the GEE control box behind the pilot's seat which is encouraging :)

• Like 1

It does go to show that Airfix will produce a smaller scale model of something they have done in a larger scale, even if it is a different variation. Gives us hope for a new Javelin or Chippie sometime in the future (maybe!).

Ray the ever hopeful.

• Like 1

I suspect that you could, but most of them are indeed just history.  What you have to consider is the policies of the current company, and the way they split their models between the scales.  Outside the inevitable iconics, and only a few of those, they have not downscaled a number of the more tempting subjects that they've done in 1/48 nor upscaled terribly many (but I wouldn't really know...).

The 2021 1/72 Mosquito isn't a Mk.VI.  Thankfully!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Vulcanicity said:

Excellent news, very glad they decided not to overlap with Tamiya and went for the two-stage variant instead. ML957 straight out the box for me, maybe with a 4000lb cookie!

Interior CAD seems to suggest they got the later radio fit including the GEE control box behind the pilot's seat which is encouraging :)

I was looking at that and thinking how awkward it must have been for the navigator.

2 hours ago, TEXANTOMCAT said:

#2 for the 72nd Chippie - and I hope either they rebox the Mossie as a TT.35 or the AM come to the rescue!

TT

Absolutely.  The IWM's TT.35 looks great and I have a bit of a thing for wartime types that went on in to the Post-War period.  I'm sticking my neck out here but all the two stage bomber and recce types are pretty similar externally as far as I know.  It's one of the reasons I was so hoping this kit was going to happen.  It remains to be seen how they engineer the bomb bay and whether it can be contructed as a standard rather than bulged, or as a PR camera bay.  Those PR Mossies in PRU Blue are extremely appealing. 

• Like 4