1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

Shouldn't be a major problem to close them if desired, the big question though is will they actually fit and at £11.50 plus p&p (Hannants) it would be an expensive error if they don't? Guess we'll have to wait until the kit arrives to make a more informed guess, or alternatively wait for CMK etc.. to come up with a bespoke Airfix set which is quite likely at some point.

Regards

Colin.

On 6/21/2021 at 12:00 AM, fishplanebeer said:

The latest issue of Airfix magazine (July) has an article on the new release and infers it will be with us soon so worth a gander as it also has some sprue shots.

Bomb bay doors are as per the TT.35 they scanned and not for a B XVI but otherwise looks good.

Regards

Colin.

For the unintiated among us could you show the differences please? Too kind, thanks.

I'm absolutely no expert on Mosquitos but I'm pretty sure the bomb bay doors would be smooth where as those on the TT.35 had 'protrusions' connected with the operation of the target drogue so are not. Airfix confirm that these can/should be easily sanded off in order to correct their error.

Regards

Colin.

10 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

Curious to know what Paramjit has to say about that tomorrow (live session/presentation over at Flory's tomorrow).

Hopefully someone will ask and not tip toe around the ‘Elephant in the room’…. Apologies for slipping into work rant mode! 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Never heard of Flory's before so I've no idea how to join their live presentation by Airfix but it might be worth some one who can also asking about the canopy options with the kit as it would seem that it might provide both a pressurised and non-pressurised version making it easier to then convert to a B.IX and PR.IX?

Regards

Colin.

Colin,

That sounds perfect and bound to be a very good seller so definitely put me down for one. Just hope Airfix provide both the pressurised and standard canopy to avoid having to wait for an after market replacement.

Regards

Colin.

On 6/23/2021 at 10:22 PM, TEXANTOMCAT said:

And about the wonky chipmunk wings (apologies for thread creep)!

:D He wasn't quite sure, and would go and have a look again :D 

although it was one of the test pressings so... YMMV

• Thanks 1

On 6/21/2021 at 8:38 PM, Richard Humm said:

The designer of the kit will be appearing live on the Flory models Youtube channel on Thursday at 7.30 pm, so you might be able to get any questions about it answered.

I did see it. This was, I think, his third such interview. Again, I thought that it was another a wide-ranging, informative and enjoyable 1hr 40min programme where this talented (and brave some might say) young designer not only talks about how he went about designing the latest 1.72 Mosquito but also how things work in the model kit industry in general.

I am full of praise for this original type of programming from both Flory and Paramjit. If you haven't watched it I would highly recommend you take a look. I guarantee you won't be wasting your time. If you have what did you think?

PS I have no connection with either company mentioned. I'm just an avid, long in the tooth old modeller.

Linz

Edited by chopper61
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, chopper61 said:

If you have what did you think?

I’ve just watched this video as well. It was great to see some of the new design concepts as well as the various instruction diagrams that will accompany this new Mosquito kit.. it’s going to be a real cracker. We are very fortunate to have what Phil describes as “a modeller first, designer second”. This unique quality allows Paramjit to design his models with the modeller in mind and he goes out of his way to describe some of the new features that will make this Mosquito build more enjoyable. The kit will feature separate two sided well hubs and the ability to insert the undercarriage assemblies well after painting. Unfortunately there was no mention of canopy options and the bomb bay issues were not raised, but overall enough new content shown to suggest that this will be another gem of a new tool Airfix kit. I’ll be getting at least a couple. 
Cheers.. Dave

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Paramjit's description of his design methodology and the things he had done to make it easier for the modeller to build, made me itch to get one though it's outside my field of interest. 

• Like 2

Just received my August issue of Airfix magazine and David Holmes has done a great build review of the model and other than the bomb bay doors being totally wrong for a BXVI it looks pretty good to me. Shouldn't really have happened I suppose but nothing a bit of wet n dry won't cure. 

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 1

I've had one on order with Hannants for ages and now sounds as if Freightdog will have an answer to the bomb doors issue, although if all it needs is sanding off the 'protrusions' then not an issue at all. Will now grab the August edition of Airfix mag as well so happy days!

Regards

Colin.

Got to say I think kudos to Airfix for allowing the interview/presentation and to the young man himself. Not sure any other manufacturers out there have done this, quite refreshing and v interesting. Yes there may be an avoidable error but it’s not insurmountable, annoying perhaps but that’s it imo. Lets wait for the production kit for proper judgement but I’m looking forward to this

• Like 3