1/72 De Havilland Mosquito by Airfix - released

Bjorn

Ugly nose or not, I would like to see some post-war night-fighter variants such as the NF.36 and NF.38. Whichever versions they do, I'm very pleased to see them come out with the two-stage Merlin Mossie - well-done Airfix!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Learstang said:

Ugly nose or not, I would like to see some post-war night-fighter variants such as the NF.36 and NF.38. Whichever versions they do, I'm very pleased to see them come out with the two-stage Merlin Mossie - well-done Airfix!

Regards,

Jason

I'm certainly up for an NF.XXX/30 and an NF.36. 

I think going for the two stage Merlin version is an extremely shrewd move by Airfix. 

• Like 2

On 1/12/2021 at 12:03 PM, Work In Progress said:

Indeed, as provided in both the old Matchbox 1/72 two-stage Merlin Mossie and the Airfix 1/48 one

Personally I think of it as the "second ugliest" nose 

163856-12155-pristine.jpg

... also provided in later boxings of the 1/72 Airfix Mosquito (be it for an NFXIX without the two stage Merlins):

https://www.scalemates.com/nl/kits/airfix-03062-dh-mosquito-nfxix-j30--145454

Edited by ivand
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, Andre B said:

Mmm...

Would those wings with engines be usefull also toghether with an Timiya Mosquito nightfighter fuselage? Or would that be an version that never existed?

Cheers / André 

Hi 

there is the mosquito FB.24 

https://www.communitystories.ca/v1/pm_v2.php?id=display_original&lg=English&fl=0&rd=109368

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 2:46 AM, Andre B said:

Mmm...

Would those wings with engines be usefull also toghether with an Timiya Mosquito nightfighter fuselage? Or would that be an version that never existed?

Cheers / André 

I think if you combined the wings/engines of the Airfix kit with the fuselage of the Tamiya NF.XIII/XVII you'd more or less have a Mosquito NF.XXX.  Then you could also combine the Tamiya wings with the Airfix kit and more or less have a B.IV with the Cookie bomb bay conversion.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

This is a cut and paste from the main WW2 section where I also posted this good news.

"After Airfix announced their new 72nd scale Mosquito BXVI there was concern expressed that the shots of the new kit on their web site showed it having the incorrect 'blister' type side windows instead of the correct 'blown' type. However I've just received formal confirmation from the company that the kit will actually include both types so enabling the unpressurised BIX version to be built as well if desired"

Regards

Colin..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, fishplanebeer said:

This is a cut and paste from the main WW2 section where I also posted this good news.

"After Airfix announced their new 72nd scale Mosquito BXVI there was concern expressed that the shots of the new kit on their web site showed it having the incorrect 'blister' type side windows instead of the correct 'blown' type. However I've just received formal confirmation from the company that the kit will actually include both types so enabling the unpressurised BIX version to be built as well if desired"

Regards

Colin..

That's not good news - it's going to cost me more now 😉

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Wez said:

Sorry, I may have missed it, do we know whether the bulged bomb bay is a separate part or is it moulded into the fuselage?

And more to the point, are we going to get the bomber variant of the bomb bay doors and fairing rather than the target tug TT35 version shown in the CAD renders?

It would be nice if there's bulged PR doors, and tailplanes with enlarged horn balances as well, etc, etc, but I'll settle for all the right bits for a BXVI out of the box for the first release, anything else is a bonus!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

And more to the point, are we going to get the bomber variant of the bomb bay doors and fairing rather than the target tug TT35 version shown in the CAD renders?

It would be nice if there's bulged PR doors, and tailplanes with enlarged horn balances as well, etc, etc, but I'll settle for all the right bits for a BXVI out of the box for the first release, anything else is a bonus!

But I want to build a TT35

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

It seems the bulged bomb bay doors are separate but as to whether they depict the correct bomber version and fairing or the TT35 adaptation I don't know as I only asked about the canopy, however I'm sure if you ask nicely via their web site the Airfix customer care team will be able to confirm.

I'm just hoping the kit arrives earlier than forecast along with their new Tempest V Series 1, although in terms of the latter I may hedge my bets and also back order the new KP Tempest V Series 2 as well.

I suspect it won't be too long before new decal sheets and Eduard canopy masks come on the market for the Mosquito and the Airfix Tempest although clearly Eduard are unlikely to offer such a mask for the KP Tempest. Because of this I may well stick with Airfix as other brands of canopy mask do not compare with Eduard IMHO, although it's quite possible that the Airfix mask will also be OK for the KP version as well.

Regards

Colin.

One can always go the movie way and paint over the nose window and stick some guns there and find suitable codes and there you have a 633 Squadron model!

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

On 07/01/2021 at 16:48, VMA131Marine said:

At least it will be possible to build the Airfix Beaufort and it will be generally accurate. There are nightmare stories on the internet by people who have tried to assemble the SH kit.

I didn't experience any significant problems when building the SH Beaufort. A few things they left out, a few things were inaccurate and needed to be fixed, etc. but no major fit problems. I added a lot of extra AM and PE details though. The kit was a bit sparse in that regard. The new Airfix kit looks very nicely detailed. There is a link to the WIP thread for the SH kit in my RFI posting, in case anyone is interested.

The new Airfix kit looks intriguing, but I wish whoever built the test model hadn't filled all the panel lines with black tar - it really makes it look like a diecast model. Hopefully those panel lines aren't as bad as the "tar" makes them appear!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

The new Airfix kit looks intriguing, but I wish whoever built the test model hadn't filled all the panel lines with black tar - it really makes it look like a diecast model. Hopefully those panel lines aren't as bad as the "tar" makes them appear!

Cheers,

Bill

Agreed. I know we are all free to build our kits however we want but, to my eye at least, the black tar panel lines (I like that description! I say "parked in an active coalmine") do this tooling a real disservice.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2021 at 4:14 PM, fishplanebeer said:

Regards

Colin..

That's great news.  Opens up a few more options.  I noticed on the latest Arifix blog concerning this kit that the Lidar pics seemed to show the correct blown windows and it did mention that there would be two canopy options.  Good work Airfix.  It does look like the extended 'Cookie' bomb bay is integral however.  Hopefully it will be designed to accomodate the camera bay version.  Mossies look very nice in PRU Blue.

• Like 4

On 2/4/2021 at 6:06 PM, Dave Swindell said:

So long as they don't provide the kit in the scheme the RAF Museum have chosen to paint it in I'll be happy.  As far as I can tell no Mosquitos ever operated in Dark Green and Dark Earth over Night. 

4 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

So long as they don't provide the kit in the scheme the RAF Museum have chosen to paint it in I'll be happy.  As far as I can tell no Mosquitos ever operated in Dark Green and Dark Earth over Night. 

I wouldn't completely rule that out, but it would be accurate - Airfix have done a couple of museum schemes recently representing aircraft as currently preserved. I'd much prefer historical schemes like you though.

• Like 1

I'm - as Wez predicted - overjoyed with this one. Even more so knowing that the designer was the one to do the Spitfire Vc, so it should be bang on the money.

Even if the bomb bay isn't separate, a wing/engine transplant with the Tamiya kits should open up the variant possibilities with little or no waste, although Cookie armed B.IVs would need the larger elevators. I think Freightdog do the relevant conversion bits, although not necessarily in stock atm.

How many do I need?  Debatable but half a dozen would be a good start.

Edited by The wooksta V2.0
Felt like it...
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

I'm - as Wez predicted - overjoyed with this one. Even more so knowing that the designer was the one to do the Spitfire Vc, so it should be bang on the money.

Even if the bomb bay isn't separate, a wing/engine transplant with the Tamiya kits should open up the variant possibilities with little or no waste, although Cookie armed B.IVs would need the larger elevators. I think Freightdog do the relevant conversion bits, although not necessarily in stock atm.

How many do I need?  Debatable but half a dozen would be a good start.

If you haven't already seen the Flory Models Airfix presentation it's worth a watch. Paramjit talks about the design process and the design of the Mosquito. He doesn't give away too much though about the Mosquito and the only mold and sprue shown is the wing one, but the plastic test shot of the wing and engine nacelle does show that like the CAD the cowl fasteners are rather thick ( a quick sand to reduce them needed I think ), interesting stuff though.