1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released

Bjorn

46 minutes ago, colin said:

Exactly, if they are charging that price there is no excuse.I've said before people look on Airfix with rose coloured glasses, any other manufacturer gets hounded if they do that with a new release nowadays.

Equally people can be critical of products based on the past performance and prejudice (or unfairly attribute shortcomings to) subsequent products without looking at them too. Having actually just examined the panel lines on my new DH Vampire F3 - the kit in question - I going to go out on a limb here and say that I fail to see how any manufacturer could produce panel lines very much finer than these and still have them visible. I am sure somone will tell me otherwise - but trenches they ain't!  

This quality, together with surface detail on the recent DH Chipmunk T.10 (which was also very impressive) suggests a new Airfix standard and that perhaps wishes can come true!   :coolio:

Rich

• Like 9

6 hours ago, RichG said:

Having actually just examined the panel lines on my new DH Vampire F3 - the kit in question - I going to go out on a limb here and say that I fail to see how any manufacturer could produce panel lines very much finer than these and still have them visible.

I agree, having inspected my Vampire kit, the panel lines are very fine and nothing at all to complain about (which doesn’t mean people won’t anyway).

Edit to add: I will point out that there is now no reason whatsoever to buy the awful Trumpeter Vampire. Airfix will certainly release other variants but converting this F.3 to an FB.5 or FB.9 will be a walk in the park compared to trying to fix the Trumpeter kits many errors.

Of particularly note, Airfix have beautifully captured the egg-shaped cross-section of the forward fuselage, whereas the Trumpeter kit is circular in this area

de-havilland-vampire-plywood.jpg

• Like 15

I agree with the comments on the panel lines in this kit. They’re much finer and sharper than the ones on the Sabre Mk4 kit released earlier this year. That’s still a nice kit, just saying. 

James 

• Like 2

My Vampire F.3 arrived today.

Looks really good inside and out 

Nice fine moulding quality with no sink marks or short-filled areas. A good amount of detail is present. Cannot wait to build it, but will wait until the Christmas holidays to do so.

I'm building the main 601sqn scheme, as this is my local airfield. 10/10 Airfix!

I think maybe as others have pointed out, there is a third longer air intake on the sprue. This is for the later tropicalised FB.9, so this indicates a future release .

Has anybody worked out why there are two sets of seemingly identical instrument panels though? Just curious.

Edited by David A Collins
  • Like 3

On 11/6/2021 at 9:14 AM, Vingtor said:

Will be interesting to see if the decals have the stencils in Norwegian text (as the operational aircraft had), or in English (like on the repainted Vampire at Gardermoen). That is, for those who care.... 😉

Hi Vingtor,

The Norwegian scheme Vampire does have English text, but the decal sheet is actually titled "Gardermoen Museum, Oslo, Norway 2019" so it is actually accurate to that display aircraft.

• Like 1

Reference the instrument panels is I believe that Canadian instruments were different. The booms by the way are flared at the joints so cannot be fitted later than the Airfix instructions. I think someone on here has already found out the hard way. I am at the point of fitting the upper section and wings and the strength of the lower components is really quite solid.

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

3 hours ago, Britman said:

The booms by the way are flared at the joints so cannot be fitted later than the Airfix instructions.

Yes, I found this out during dry fitting my kit. If you assemble the fuselage/wing halves together without installing the booms first, it will take significant surgery to get them installed. On the other hand, the method of assembly results in positive location and very strong attachment of the booms to the wings.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, 224 Peter said:

Mine arrived this week and was swiftly confiscated by SWMBO as it seems it is a Christmas Present. I didn't even get to look at the box!! 

Is anyone doing a build story so I can sneak a look at what is in the kit?

I just had to put a detailed argument in front of the local court to buy my third kit this year.

... so presumably there is (more than) a surprise on the way.

• Haha 1

Mine arrived yesterday.  I'm sure it has been mentioned before in this thread but it is obvious that Airfix intend to release other boxings.  The F3 has the round wingtips but there are clipped wingtips for an FB5 and an extended starboard intake for an FB9 in the box. 

I'll be making a start on this at the weekend.  :thumbsup:  :bounce: 

• Like 2

I am enjoying this kit a lot. But I have been bowled a googlie! First my friend Robert managed to get one to me just before I had self isolate for ten days with a positive covid condition. Now me being me I thought great self isolation in the spare room with en suite and my workstation in the corner. Bring on the Vampire. . Firstly the windshield had suffered a shattering slate type event in its bag. Unable to rectify it without bothering Airfix and after two attempts to get my request in for a replacement I settled in for some peice and quite with my kit . Right get that lead in the nose and close it up. Quick check in the draw, out of lead! Now my health has been up and down like a yo yo and breaking cover for this essential item was out of the question given I can barely walk to the bottom stairs for my provisions. My kind brother in law next door supplied the lead and I might get to crack on. However last twist this afternoon I had a simulated Kriptonite attack with an uncomfortably high temperature. I will post when finished in the appropriate section. Thank for your endulgence.

Please take everyone, we are still on a war footing and even though I like to think I have been diligent I have taken a hit.

Keith

• Sad 4

I feel for you @Britman I hope you recover rapidly and completely. I've recently finished my 4th self isolation all tested positive but all were false positives. Whew! I don't think this is over by a long way.

I'll add to your frustration my kits are at the shop but I need to transfer money into the bank account to pay for them......

Finally I'm happy to read the positive comments about this kit, let us all be delighted to see this as the new Airfix standard going forward. Transit damage excepted of course.

• Like 1

https://www.flickr.com/gp/115753469@N03/465gJ9

Just checked my Vampire received direct from Airfix. Unfortunately there is a miss moulded rear boom part no.4. (First time trying to post a photo so hope it works)

Have emailed Airfix and had auto reply, so expect the usual good things from their spares dept.

Good news is my second Vampire from a different source seems fine. 

Edited by chrisov
  • Sad 4

I started building mine on Friday.  It builds up very quickly and easily.  I have just completed the main assembly.  Liking this kit a lot.

Here's a thought...  did the DG Goblin and Ghost engines have the same dimensions?  I wondering if it would be possible to use the fuselage from this kit to convert a Venom.

I hate to say it, but the lovely box art has a detail mistake.

This is an F.3 RAF Vampire that shouldn't have an ejection seat. 

I saw the Hornby program on this Vampire yesterday and see they scanned the DH museum's Swiss FB.6 that does have an ejection seat. Fortunately the model is correct. The detail difference wasn't picked up by the artist.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, David A Collins said:

I hate to say it, but the lovely box art has a detail mistake.

This is an F.3 RAF Vampire that shouldn't have an ejection seat. 

I saw the Hornby program on this Vampire yesterday and see they scanned the DH museum's Swiss FB.6 that does have an ejection seat. Fortunately the model is correct. The detail difference wasn't picked up by the artist.

Do you know, I hadn't noticed that, good spot

On 29/11/2021 at 09:31, Adam Poultney said:

Any WIPs up? Had a quick look but can't see any

I've started one but progress will be slow and there's not much to show yet, hopefully, I'll have an update at the weekend.