1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released

Bjorn

By definition, any simple guide is wrong because it is far from a simple story. 

If you want a starting-point to help you map out the necessarily complicated reality, then this is probably as good a place to begin before starting to buy books

http://www.airvectors.net/avvamp.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've long hoped for Airfix to bring us this jet, the Vampire was in service during a very colourful period and served with many users world wide, lots of colour scheme options out there and a very shrewd move by Airfix.

As I said on the Airfix 2021 thread, separate wing-tips and intakes point at least to an FB.5, hopefully they'll include the extended starboard intake housing the cold-air unit found on all FB.9's and many, many FB.5's.  Separate nose points to the Swiss version too.

Looking at the render, an F.1 would require new tail-booms.

Very pleased to see this, I see several making their way to Chez Wez.

• Like 6

As I’ve already said it’s not unexpected following airfixs recent policy of British Cold War jets but I’m absolutely chuffed to bits about this one. Especially when I saw a classic airframes vampire go for £55 on evil bay last week. Hopefully airfix will get good returns on this one. 

Put me down for several!

James 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

Perhaps a french mistral as well?

Selwyn

The Mistral is Vampire-ish, the fuselage pod is bigger and a subtly different shape to account for the bigger Nene engine, different intakes, ejection seat in the cockpit and later wheels (which would be necessary for a Swiss example anyway).  All doable on one sprue.

21 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

I’m somewhat fortunate with the Classic Airframes kits in that I have a stash of Aeroclub fuselage correction sets.

Invested in some CA kits + Aeroclub correction sets + vacuform canopies, so I won't be buying the Airfix kit.

But it's great that they are bring this out  - hopefully other marks will follow.

I am definitely getting some Chipmunks though!

1 hour ago, Smokeyr67 said:

It looks great, now I just have to work out how to turn it into a RAAF F 30 😀

I’d love to see it grow a little, maybe to 1/24 scale please Mr Airfix?

A good subject for the likes of Martin at HPM to have a go at. A couple of upper (or later lower) Elephant ear engine scoop intakes, enlarged Nene exhaust and accompanying RAAF decal sheet... I’d be in for that. I’m with you on the 1/24th scale kit as well. 
Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Wez said:

The Mistral is Vampire-ish, the fuselage pod is bigger and a subtly different shape to account for the bigger Nene engine, different intakes, ejection seat in the cockpit and later wheels (which would be necessary for a Swiss example anyway).  All doable on one sprue.

I don't think that is the case, there was a few subtle changes to the belly profile of the aircraft to accomodate the Nene engine installed by SNCASE  but the pod dimensions were not  changed. The big pod size changes were done for the Ghost engine installation that resulted in the Venom. The new intake design on the mistral ensured that they did not have to have extra intakes as seen with the Nene engine installation done by the Australians on the F30 and FB31 Vampires

Selwyn

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selwyn said:

I don't think that is the case, there was a few subtle changes to the belly profile of the aircraft to accomodate the Nene engine installed by SNCASE  but the pod dimensions were not  changed. The big pod size changes were done for the Ghost engine installation that resulted in the Venom. The new intake design on the mistral ensured that they did not have to have extra intakes as seen with the Nene engine installation done by the Australians on the F30 and FB31 Vampires

Selwyn

If you hold one side of the fuselage pod of a Heller Mistral against a Heller Vampire, the don't match, what I meant about the pod being bigger is that it's deeper, the belly and dorsal profile being different, agreed the pod is the same dimension across the pod.

I'm well aware that the bigger intakes on the Mistral obviated the need for the additional intakes used on the Australian machines, the French solution being simpler and more elegant really.

Oh, wow! Finally! Everytime I wander into my local shop, I look lovingly at the Trumpeter Vampires all stacked up, unloved and unwanted, and debate whether I should just get one warts and all. 

Now I won't have such an existential crisis! 

Thanks Airfix! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Wez said:

If you hold one side of the fuselage pod of a Heller Mistral against a Heller Vampire, the don't match, what I meant about the pod being bigger is that it's deeper, the belly and dorsal profile being different, agreed the pod is the same dimension across the pod.

I'm well aware that the bigger intakes on the Mistral obviated the need for the additional intakes used on the Australian machines, the French solution being simpler and more elegant really.

It would be interesting to see if the Australian aircraft also had a reprofiled belly as well as the French aircraft. The "Elephant ear" additional intakes would be a simple mod to do.  It is noticable that it seems that almost every aircraft type that had the Nene type fitted featured some sort of additional intake, either scoops or suck in doors as on the Sea Hawk and Attacker or in its J42 form on the Grumman Panther.

Selwyn

4 hours ago, Selwyn said:

almost every aircraft type that had the Nene type fitted featured some sort of additional intake

I think such was the rate of power increase in a short time (and with it, the airflow requirement) that airframe designers struggled to anticipate what would be needed.

Just in that family of early centrifugal engines we go from the Welland at about 1700 lb thrust through the Derwent famly at 2000 lb rapidly growing to 3600 lb, into the Nene at 5000 lb, all in just two years - and 3x the airflow requirement is a lot to modify into an airframe design for a single-engined type with the engine buried in the fuselage.   In a similar blink of the eye you also go from the de Havilland Goblin at 2700 lb to the Ghost at 5000 lb.

With a twin of course you usually just hang altogether different nacelles on, which is much less disruption to the airframe design.

On 08/01/2021 at 21:31, Mike Esposito said:

Yes. The cannon ports look kinda funny🤔

I'm sure they are just dummy ones and that the final release will have seperate cannon barrels. Great to see a Norwegian version in the decal sheet as well, I'll buy this for sure.

• Thanks 1

The Australian Vampires had the "standard" Vampire fuselage, hence the "elephant's ears" to cope with the Nene's breathing needs. There were attempts to design a new intake system (I have copies of some of the paperwork here somewhere, bestowed on me by the late, lamented Hopton) but the cost, and the production delay that any scheme entailed, put paid to them. I think CAC was involved - perhaps @Magpie22knows more?

• Like 1

Other that squaring the wingtips, are there other changes that are required to make an F.B.5 in Canadian service?  (not counting the can of Labatt's, and the toque on the glare shield?)

14 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

The Australian Vampires had the "standard" Vampire fuselage, hence the "elephant's ears" to cope with the Nene's breathing needs.

My observations (which may not be correct) suggest that although the Australian F.30 and FB.31 Vampires still retained the original wing root intakes of the British versions, the engine compartment back from the rear of the cockpit ‘may’ have been slightly more bulbous in appearance and wider and shorter overall at the Nene engined exhaust (similar to the French Mistral). As we know the French modified the wing root intakes, whilst the Australians incorporated the (at first) upper, than lower ‘Elephant ear’ scoops. 

I’m still not convinced if I’m just seeing things, however the exhaust aperture is certainly shorter and something that HPH Models advise in their FB.31 Conversion pack. Can someone confirm or deny my thoughts on the more bulbous engine compartment of both the Australian and/or or French Vampires / Mistrals? 

Cheers, regards and much looking forward to this exciting kit.. Dave