1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released

Bjorn

• Bjorn changed the title to 1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 by Airfix - release Summer 2021

At last! I had a feeling this would happen this year. 

Great news with the Classic Airframes kit going for £50 plus e bay. 

Well done  airfix 

James

14 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Oh wow, the 2021 release list is incredible really, and this just adds to it!

I must agree! Pretty much everything thats been announced by Airfix and ICM so far I'm interested in...Bring it on.

So happy to see this Vampire kit announced and its really a subject I’d consider buying in all the popular scales. With plenty of options for future boxing’s to come, this has the potential to sell very well for many more years into the future. Now I’m sure they could have squeezed it all into a Series 4 or 5 box, although won’t let that detract me from buying a number of these kits up front. 
Cheers and very well played Airfix.. Dave 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, At Sea said:

Fantastic!  Hands up who will build theirs whilst listening to 'The Shepard'.

Ah, yes, The Shepherd! I loved the Vampire since I read that book when I was a boy. (My fondness for the Mosquito is even older.. 😁) Always wanted to read it to my children, but never did. 😢

2 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Am I going to be chastised if I say I would have been more pleased if they had announced a 1/48 Sea Venom?

No not exactly, I think Airfix are playing it a little safe by going for a single seat Vampire which has more export sales appeal. Now join the long line of modellers who will buy one and perhaps Airfix will get the hint and oblige with a (Sea) Venom in a few years time. 

Cheers. Dave

• Like 2

This is just awesome news! I always thought it was only a matter of time before Airfix gave us a 1/48 kit of a single-seat Vampire and I’m incredibly happy that I don’t have to wait any longer. Having bought and then been deeply disappointed with the Trumpeter 1/48 Vampire kit, this Airfix kit is long overdue and virtually guaranteed to be several quantum leaps better than that piece of something unprintable.

I assume other versions will be forthcoming and now I have to decide if I want to keep the several Classic Airframes kits in the stash or sell them on. I have a bunch of the Aeroclub vac kits as well, but those are good for the two seaters so I’m keeping those. Good job Airfix! Next do the Venom series, particularly the FAW.21

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mike Esposito said:

What's wrong with the Alleycat Vampys?

Probably nothing, however try finding one in your local hobby shop. I suppose I’m looking at this (insert any exotic kit manufacturer here) through non UK or European eyes, where the exchange rate and cost of postage can often kill the motivation to purchase. 

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mike Esposito said:

What's wrong with the Alleycat Vampys?

The Classic Airframes Vampires are a piece of 💩. Terrible canopy and fit is lousy. 

Nothing is wrong with the AlleyCat Vampires. I have an FB.9 to build. But a lot of people are unfamiliar with or don’t like working with resin and they are more expensive, although the AlleyCat kits are reasonably inexpensive for resin kits. 
I’m somewhat fortunate with the Classic Airframes kits in that I have a stash of Aeroclub fuselage correction sets.

There’s nothing really wrong with the Aeroclub vac kits either(other than they are getting hard to find).