1/48 De Havilland Vampire F.3 & FB.5/FB.9 by Airfix - released

Bjorn

1 hour ago, Corvi said:

I am hoping they do a Sea Venom.   My favorite of the type!!

That would mean a lot of mold differences  Hopefully it is in the pipeline???

Steve,

New wing, new fuselage, new tail, new canopy ... presumably a stronger undercarriage.  I think you are quite right about a lot of mould differences, but Airfix don't tell us what is further down the pipeline than those that appear as CAD pictures on their website.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the Vampire will be coming out closer to Christmas?!?!

I found a CA Sea Venom -AWESOME  and I have an extra NF-3 Aeroclub 1/48 Venom .....Ready to go for my twin boom Darlings!! 

Steve,

The Sea Venom and the Vampire has zero commonality between airframes, the only interchangeable parts are beyond the realm of what we tinker with.

By "We" I mean you lot I'm forever tea leafing bits that may fit 😎

11 hours ago, Corvi said:

Looks like the Vampire will be coming out closer to Christmas?!?!

I found a CA Sea Venom -AWESOME  and I have an extra NF-3 Aeroclub 1/48 Venom .....Ready to go for my twin boom Darlings!! 

Steve,

Still in time to go on top of the wishlist for Christmas thus. Patience ......

Airfix told me that they would have in by 4 November and after quality checks it would be sent out to those with pre-orders and presumably to retailers.

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, jaw said:

Airfix told me that they would have in by 4 November and after quality checks it would be sent out to those with pre-orders and presumably to retailers.

John

I would have thought the place for quality checks would have been the factory!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 593jones said:

Probably done there too bit I think Hornby would like to do their own once the shipment is received as they are the customer of the moulding company. 

• Like 1

On 10/28/2021 at 9:48 PM, jaw said:

John

On 10/29/2021 at 8:14 PM, 593jones said:

On 10/29/2021 at 8:50 PM, Cheshiretaurus said:

Probably done there too bit I think Hornby would like to do their own once the shipment is received as they are the customer of the moulding company. 

Remember when Raleigh bikes shutdown their (profitable) Nottingham manufacturing site and moved production to China?

The first shipment received at their new warehouse was OK, the second wasn't, the third was worse. That crippled their sales for some months. Oddly the same factory in China made bikes for one of the US-based recreational brands and they never had any issues. Upon investigating the US outfit had a team on-site inspecting product through the manufacturing process, after initially rejecting huge numbers they were down to a trickle within weeks. US-based employees were rotated out to China and, even with this they still made savings. Raleigh hadn't bothered to do this part properly and paid the price - literally.

Hornby have been through this mill and now it seems it's Airfix's turn, we can but hope they get on top of it before their reputation gets trashed.

My source on this is a friend who worked in the buying office and saw all this first hand.

BOT I'll bet I wasn't the only one who filled in Vampire T.11 on those Airfix slips, there are more marking options for them than any single seater both UK and overseas operators. If Pilot Replicas do a good job then I think they will sell plenty even at the price they'll have to charge. BUT if Airfix can avoid quality issues with short-shots, clear part flaws, and imprecise fit issues they should do very well too. I think we all want that to happen.  

7 minutes ago, SleeperService said:

I'll bet I wasn't the only one who filled in Vampire T.11 on those Airfix slips, there are more marking options for them than any single seater both UK and overseas operators.

Not so sure of that myself, there were lots of RAFG, RAF and RAuxAF sqns that had single seaters but didn't get their two seaters, anyway as well as some overseas operators who never had two seaters, it's a close run thing anyway.

I'll likely get the Pilots Replica kit when it comes out.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, 71chally said:

Vampire F point 3, love it!

Looks to be a really nice kit.

More evidence that where as Airfix know how copy reduce and accurately make a kit of an `object` but they dont know jack about it.

• Like 2

Great news, really looking forward to this.

Can whoever gets the first kit, can they post pictures of the sprue shots, I'm interested in seeing whether they've included the parts for the other marks (intakes and wingtips).

• Thanks 1