Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 Delta Airlines

Greetings all,

The DC-8 continues to progress well - all joints have been filled with Milliput which is my filler of choice. I put on more than is needed as it helps with blending process. Sandpaper and some water to keep dust to the minimum are the tools of the trade!

50829613772_ce0113b164_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The sanding process proved to be completely trouble-free and now all joins are blended nicely. The tail fin issue is now a distant memory, and the rear fuselage section has a seamless join:

50829616327_27be7aa58d_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50828780868_f22bf3ec6e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A bit of scribing was needed on the underside fairing to reinstate the panel lines - which incidentally all line up perfectly:

50829537751_c26991cfed_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I think the Mach 2 certainly goes a long way to capturing the look of the DC-8:

50829531186_5c6f0066a9_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50829537486_8e2d53e869_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

@Alex1978 here are the cockpit parts as requested - a bit of work will be needed at the base of the windscreen to get the look right here:

50828786938_5e21e465c7_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50829531886_a47b2acf6d_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50828780863_00e2584126_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50829616302_5b0e8b9f8e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now I'm keen to see what the wings have to offer...

Tom

• Like 17

9 minutes ago, tomprobert said:

Greetings all,

The DC-8 continues to progress well - all joints have been filled with Milliput which is my filler of choice. I put on more than is needed as it helps with blending process. Sandpaper and some water to keep dust to the minimum are the tools of the trade!

50829613772_ce0113b164_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The sanding process proved to be completely trouble-free and now all joins are blended nicely. The tail fin issue is now a distant memory, and the rear fuselage section has a seamless join:

50829616327_27be7aa58d_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50828780868_f22bf3ec6e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A bit of scribing was needed on the underside fairing to reinstate the panel lines - which incidentally all line up perfectly:

50829537751_c26991cfed_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I think the Mach 2 certainly goes a long way to capturing the look of the DC-8:

50829531186_5c6f0066a9_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50829537486_8e2d53e869_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

@Alex1978 here are the cockpit parts as requested - a bit of work will be needed at the base of the windscreen to get the look right here:

50828786938_5e21e465c7_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50829531886_a47b2acf6d_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50828780863_00e2584126_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50829616302_5b0e8b9f8e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now I'm keen to see what the wings have to offer...

Tom

Nice progress.Good to see that the build is smooth.Looking forward to receive my example.

Thank you for the nose pics.👍

Shape looks pretty good,although the cockpit windows itself seem slightly off,i.e.too small.Not too distracting though.As I will be using windowdecals,this is an easy fix.

• Like 1

Yes, the cockpit windows are not quite right, mind you, Didier seems to machine his windows from the solid. The cabin windows, although almost in line, some are off by a few degrees from the vertical. Not a problem for Tom, and I will have to fill most of mine.

I do have a solution to both problems by way of my C-9B. Now, this creature does not exist in the model world, so I bought 2 DC-9s off Atlantis in order to cut and shut the fuselages to give me the required stretch. This gives me a pile of leftovers, including a very crisp spare windscreen, which with some deft surgery, will replace the Mach 2 version. I could even replace the complete nose section if necessary. I also have 2 decal sheets which gives me the options to sort the windows that way, though I suspect some minor surgery and Micro Crystal Clear will be the 'Final Solution'

The DC-8 needs 48 windows, and Didier has given us plenty of spares. Just a shame they are push fits with no lip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Yes, the cockpit windows are not quite right, mind you, Didier seems to machine his windows from the solid. The cabin windows, although almost in line, some are off by a few degrees from the vertical. Not a problem for Tom, and I will have to fill most of mine.

I do have a solution to both problems by way of my C-9B. Now, this creature does not exist in the model world, so I bought 2 DC-9s off Atlantic in order to cut and shut the fuselages to give me the required stretch. This gives me a pile of leftovers, including a very crisp spare windscreen, which with some deft surgery, will replace the Mach 2 version. I could even replace the complete nose section if necessary. I also have 2 decal sheets which gives me the options to sort the windows that way, though I suspect some minor surgery and Micro Crystal Clear will be the 'Final Solution'

The DC-8 needs 48 windows, and Didier has given us plenty of spares. Just a shame they are push fits with no lip. 

That's an interesting solution for the cockpit - genius! I'm going to go with the kit parts, but I am considering sanding the frames back a bit and polishing and then make my own masks which may improve the look a little. 

For the cabin windows I am going to use Clearfix to reduce the faffing needed with masking. 

• Like 1

@tomprobert: Or you could wait for Braz Models to upscale their cockpit clear part to 1/72 scale.  I believe they have such a clever plan, and it includes replacement resin engines, too.  

@bentwaters81tfw: might I suggest you wait for RCI to come out with a clear resin part for the Aurora DC-9?  RCI is doing this for Authentic Airliners, which is due to release an all-resin DC-9 in 1/72.  That will almost certainly work better than the kit part, whose fit is not quite right.

• Like 1

No need, the Atlantis part is superb. The kit hasn't been available for years, so the mouldings are like new. A test offering shows it fits the DC9, and the DC8 after removing part of the resin section. I can have the whole nose/cockpit changed if needed with the spares I have.

Another new part adds to the cost, and 2 kits at  £45 each, plus another $65 for Draw Decals to print me an upscaled set of decals, that's quite enough already.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 10:54 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

@tomprobert: Or you could wait for Braz Models to upscale their cockpit clear part to 1/72 scale.  I believe they have such a clever plan, and it includes replacement resin engines, too.  

I reckon the kit parts are workable - I'll have a play when the time comes to see what I can make of them. The engines I think will be fine too - they look OK on the sprues and I've always been one to try and use what comes with the kit - I usually only buy aftermarket if absolutely essential. 

I've built up the wings over the last few sessions at the bench - you'll be pleased to know that were no dramas here and they build up absolutely fine. Again I was impressed that top and bottom panels lines largely matched up:

50838620093_85e27fdbcf_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I've now mated the wings to the fuselage. Being Mach 2, and knowing things were going too well, these didn't fit was well as the fuselage has done so far - the mating surfaces are not completely true and although I did some careful filing, I'm still left with some gaps to sort. However, you don't buy a Mach 2 kit and expect Tamiya quality:

50840521641_9fb7dc6346_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The left wing is worse that the right - you can see that the wing itself it a little longer than the fairing on the fuselage. I decided it align the trailing edge, and consider it easier to blend this forward fairing than faff about with the rear:

50840521656_a2892f8a18_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

More gaps below:

50840611337_ece8294d86_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Still, nothing major and Milliput will make short work of that - he says hopefully...

It's starting to look like a DC-8 though:

50839798648_1332286324_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50839798668_e7cb736428_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Now it'll be a filling/sanding session - wish me luck!

Tom

• Like 11

12 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

You're gonna need a bigger cutting mat.....🦈

Mach 2 without having to shim the wing root? :gobsmacked:  You sure you got that right?

No shims necessary - Mach 2 is going up in the world :D

Peanut gallery question: what's the DC-8's wing dihedral? The 707's is 7 degrees.  I ask because getting it right can make a difference on an aircraft, like this one, with pylon-mounted engines.  Another couple observations: The fit of the wing is about what I experienced with Valom's Valetta, so no worries.  I'd recommend reinforcing filling in the gaps of the wing join structure with styrene sheet, as I did with the Heller 707-321B I built 25 years ago.  It toughens it like nothing else.  

Another thing: when you get around to "hanging" the engine pods, you might want to check photos of the real thing.  1) Does the pylon stand perpendicular relative to the wing underside, or does it stand vertical relative to the ground?  2) You'll note that the engine pods on DC-8's, more so than on the 707, have a slight upward slant in profile when the airplane is sitting on the ground, such that the intake is pointing slightly upwards.  

• Like 1

Morning all,

With the wings securely attached to the fuselage and the Milliput drying, I set have about the horizontal stabilisers. As with the wings, after the removal of a little flash, the fit was absolutely fine with no filling needed:

50844285126_6e531602bb_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

However, my joy was short-lived... and you know I said this build had been reasonably trouble-free thus far? Famous last words! 

I was checking out the fit of the stabilisers and was scratching my head a I simply couldn't get them to align properly. Then I discovered a bit of a problem...

50844429557_05efd642e0_z.jpgIMG_E1016 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Let me explain...

The red lines are the true vertical and horizontal - the fin and the wings line up with these lines well;

The blue lines are the positions of the fairings above and below the mounting points for the stabilisers;

The green line is superimposed over a piece of plastic strip threaded through the openings for the stabilisers.

As you can see, the starboard stabiliser is mounted considerably higher on the fuselage than the port - no wonder they wouldn't line up! Having consulted numerous photographs, I have come to the conclusion that it is the starboard stabiliser that's been moulded too high.

So... here's the starboard mounting point as it comes in the kit:

50843555563_d5562be163_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

And here's my relatively simple solution - I've sanded off the raised fairings, and after some careful measuring have lowered the attachment hole, bringing it in line with the port side. A plastic card plug covers the original hole. After the stabiliser is attached, I will then add the raised fairings from plastic card, and it should be problem solved. 

50843555568_843c376b3a_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Other Mach 2 DC-8 builders beware!

I'll keep you posted...

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Looks like you're winning tom but it's putting up a fight. Just a thought on the canopy. Could you tilt the clear part forwards by packing the lower rear end so that there is a step behind it? That way, any filler will be on the fuselage plastic. Not sure how that would affect the profile or window line though.

This is one of those builds that is much more enjoyable to watch rather than attempt!

1 minute ago, woody37 said:

Looks like you're winning tom but it's putting up a fight. Just a thought on the canopy. Could you tilt the clear part forwards by packing the lower rear end so that there is a step behind it? That way, any filler will be on the fuselage plastic. Not sure how that would affect the profile or window line though.

This is one of those builds that is much more enjoyable to watch rather than attempt!

Hi Neil,

I think it'll be something along those lines with the canopy - the pictures above are as it comes in its raw form, and with some filing of the lower front edge to bring it down and the rear up a bit, I think it will improve both the fit and look significantly. We'll see!

Tom

• Like 2

looking really good Tom, you certainly are getting the Mach2 beast under control, one thing I always do is use the passenger windows as a datum for the positioning of the wings, engines, doors and tail alignment from photos, but I know you probably have this figured out anyway, it will look fantastic when finished

Thought it was almost too good to be true...

Well,you solved the problem and thankfully noticed it before the finish.

Looks a bit like the VEB Plasticart DC-8,I built some years ago.

They also had the same problem with the stabs.

Maybe you should also check the cabin windows on both fuselage sides if they are in the same hight ?

I see the horizontal stab is in true Mach 2 tradition. I had this problem with the Valiant wings, only about 20 times worse.

Nice easy fix this time.

I keep trying to post a picture of the engine, showing the incidence, but for some reason that site keeps changing it. There is a very good walkaround on there.

More than one to skin a cat:

resized_cc7a25af-c902-4286-9216-c4557f7d

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kev67 said:

looking really good Tom, you certainly are getting the Mach2 beast under control, one thing I always do is use the passenger windows as a datum for the positioning of the wings, engines, doors and tail alignment from photos, but I know you probably have this figured out anyway, it will look fantastic when finished

Getting there, Kev - it’s all good fun! And I’ve done the same with the windows - that’s how I worked out which stab was in the wrong place. 

9 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Thought it was almost too good to be true...

Well,you solved the problem and thankfully noticed it before the finish.

Looks a bit like the VEB Plasticart DC-8,I built some years ago.

They also had the same problem with the stabs.

Maybe you should also check the cabin windows on both fuselage sides if they are in the same hight ?

Interesting... maybe some information/measurements were ‘borrowed’ from the earlier kit for this one..?

9 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I see the horizontal stab is in true Mach 2 tradition. I had this problem with the Valiant wings, only about 20 times worse.

Nice easy fix this time.

I keep trying to post a picture of the engine, showing the incidence, but for some reason that site keeps changing it. There is a very good walkaround there. 

2 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Ooh that's a veritable Smörgåsbord of grey tones, dull aluminium and weathering... Airliner engines are fun! 

GREAT shot of the engine there - thanks. I visited this very aircraft a couple of years ago and got some similar photos... she’s in need of a bit of TLC to be honest and is starting to look a little shabby.