Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 Delta Airlines

15 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Self-serving question: how do you like those AIM decals?  Is there a bit of pixelation on the decal margins, or are they nice and opaque through-and-through?

As for the engines, any number of things could have happened with your build that would have resulted in their being lower than the other guy's, but that's where you are now, so don't sweat it.  If the wing looks "right," then don't mess with it.  I've always loved the mock decision-trees that start with:

"is it working?;"

then proceed to "did you mess with it?;"  

then "did you break it?;"

and conclude with: "is there someone else you can blame this all on?"  

If you answer the last in the negative: "you're screwed."

That's some good advice!

The AIM decals look good - nicely, sharply printed and opaque - the ultimate test will be when I come to apply them!

Another thing that's just struck me with the engine issue is the he has removed the part of the pylon moulded on to the wing - he is using a different pylon altogether as he is modding his to take CFM-56s. Therefore, it looks as if there is a lot more clearance than there is in his image - with the wing part of the pylon still attached you'd be down a mere few mm...

Tom

• Like 1

Magnificent project.

Regarding engine pylons - the Series 62 and Series 63 DC-8s had a completely revised engine pylon arrangement with no protrusion above the top surface of the wing. These amended pylons were retained on those 62s and 63s that were converted to 72s and 73s.

• Like 1

Just looked at the other guy's DC-8 tailplane, and couldn't agree with you more!  He's waaaaay off.  It's clear that the trailing edges are completely misaligned, and I think he exaggerated the dihedral just a tad.  Sorry to say I don't have Douglas design drawings that specify the dihedral, but his tail just looks wrong to me.  

I think you're doing great.  Hang in there!

6 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Regarding engine pylons - the Series 62 and Series 63 DC-8s had a completely revised engine pylon arrangement with no protrusion above the top surface of the wing.

Agree, and it's more complicated than that.  The Series 61 - 63 had a 4% leading edge chord extension compared to the original DC-8s, also introduced on later-production -50s, but rarely retrofitted to older a/c.  In order to get this shape right, the modeler needs to look carefully at station diagrams, because the leading edge may also have a different airfoil profile--so it's not necessarily a "simple" fix like @Bangseat's clever approach to the SVC-10.

BTW: As a child, I flew on a DC-8-62 or 63 back in 1979, and it made an impression on me--viz, that it was already old.  Just a long tube on the inside.  We sat near the engines and I clearly remember the bleed air vent on the inboard side of each.

@TheyJammedKenny!, I'm not sure I fixed anything with that thing!

Incidentally Tom, with this burgeoning collection of gentleman scale giants, I do hope for your sake you're not planning on moving house. I just did yesterday, blimey O'Reilly. With no box big enough for a VC10 or a 707, the only solution was to walk them up the road:

2021-02-06_05-44-23

Me left, with henchman..

• Like 10

Hi Tom, you’re doing a real nice job on this Mach2 DC-8! And indeed a nice choice of decals. 
I have a Skyland 1:72 KLM old colours DC-8 desktop model, and I’m thinking of ordering a new AIM decal sheet for this model. But I don’t know if they will fit..?

I also have a metal 1:48 Verkuyl DC-8 cutaway model in the late KLM livery, but very scratched and some damage. I hope to get new decals for it some day but that will be difficult ;)

I’m curious about the quality of the AIM decals, I will follow this build! Keep up the good work

4 hours ago, Bangseat said:

Incidentally Tom, with this burgeoning collection of gentleman scale giants, I do hope for your sake you're not planning on moving house. I just did yesterday, blimey O'Reilly. With no box big enough for a VC10 or a 707, the only solution was to walk them up the road:

2021-02-06_05-44-23

Me left, with henchman..

Oh, what fun!  Did you guys make jet noises as you did the transfer!  Those are really impressive models you've got there.  Wonder what the neighbors thought?

• Like 1

On 2/6/2021 at 5:55 PM, Bangseat said:

Me left, with henchman..

Ha ha! No plans to move at the mo, but when I did so last time moving my collection of 1/32nd scale heavy bombers was a nightmare I don't want to relive in a hurry!

On 2/6/2021 at 9:05 PM, Wolfhound32 said:

Hi Tom, you’re doing a real nice job on this Mach2 DC-8! And indeed a nice choice of decals. 
I have a Skyland 1:72 KLM old colours DC-8 desktop model, and I’m thinking of ordering a new AIM decal sheet for this model. But I don’t know if they will fit..?

I also have a metal 1:48 Verkuyl DC-8 cutaway model in the late KLM livery, but very scratched and some damage. I hope to get new decals for it some day but that will be difficult ;)

I’m curious about the quality of the AIM decals, I will follow this build! Keep up the good work

Sweet Jesus and all things holy! A 1/48th DC-8..? We need pictures!

It's been a slow week for modelling, but a little more progress on the DC-8...

I've now committed to the Delta scheme using the AIM sheet so the windows needed filling. They fit quite well actually, and if one was so inclined I think they could be made to work well with a light sanding and a polish:

50921543073_4e7327d90a_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There are plenty of windows spare, thankfully, as with no sills they fall in quite easily - this happened to me (four times) with no hope of retrieval so it now sounds like a baby's rattle!

Here are the windows after a lick of filler:

50921543083_1df6e146a5_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Finally they've had a quick brush of flat white which didn't reveal any issues:

50921543088_c4a525fd1a_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 13

On 08/02/2021 at 15:31, tomprobert said:

Sweet Jesus and all things holy! A 1/48th DC-8..? We need pictures!

Hi Tom,

This is the 'beast':

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm trying to estimate the value of this model, because I'm thinking of selling it.

It is just too big and heavy, and there's no stand for display.

But to be honest, I"m not eager sell it because it's a real beauty..

And this is the Skyland DC-8:

spacer.png

• Like 9

Wow... you have a couple of stunners there!

The cutaway version would look fantastic with a little TLC - if I were you I'd keep it and do some restoration work...

Thanks for sharing!

Tom

2 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

Thanks Tom :)

But it’s more fun to build one yourself... like your Mach2 kit! 
Question.. do you have any idea if Neil Gaunt from AIM72 still produces kits? 

True... 

I think he is - there were certainly a few tucked away in the Hannants' warehouse last time I was there...

Tom

12 hours ago, Wolfhound32 said:

Hi Tom,

This is the 'beast':

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm trying to estimate the value of this model, because I'm thinking of selling it.

It is just too big and heavy, and there's no stand for display.

But to be honest, I"m not eager sell it because it's a real beauty..

And this is the Skyland DC-8:

spacer.png

These are awesome models.The cutaway version in particular.I would keep them if I were you.Such models are very hard to find,and if they show up,they are terribly high priced.

I have a 1/50 BAC -1-11 which I found many moons ago on a flea market.Its in urgent need of renovation but still a great looking model

10 hours ago, Back in the Saddle said:

You tease! Any photos of this one? I would love to see it!

Here photos of my BAC-1-11 from Space Models,as per your request.

As its visible,she needs a redo,but I have not found Phoenix decals of any sort,let alone in this scale 😳🙁

spacer.png

spacer.png

Phoenix was a Swiss airline back in the 70s.

They also operated Boeing 707 types back then,as this one

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hello guys and gals,

Last night I began working on the cockpit. The kit's transparencies are a little cloudy on my example and in my humble opinion the cockpit windows are slightly off shape-wise so I have decided to see if I can improve the situation...

First job was to sand off the window outlines and get the basic shape a little more uniform in terms of dips and bumps:

50930806502_b82a952a05_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Next up was a lengthy polishing session with a buffing pad - these things work wonders!

50930683586_cb3ac17726_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Test fit to the fuselage:

50930683581_006e51dafc_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50930806542_f4c784d746_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

With some careful trimming/filing I've managed to improve the fit considerably - I now need to add the seats and yokes before attaching the glazing and masking the shapes of the windows. All being well, I'll be able to keep the cockpit windows clear and won't have to use the AIM decal - something I was hoping to avoid in this larger 1/72nd scale.

Until next time,

Tom

• Like 9

Tom: this is a good decision on your part to sand off all of the cockpit framing and start afresh, and I did the same with my Caravelle 18 years ago.  Suggest you use DC-9 window masks for the Aurora kit from Vintage Flyer Decals.  Contact them and see if they can sell you some!

• Like 1

Another option--and you likely know this already--is to use the AIM cockpit decals as a basis for your own, taping the decal sheet (or a cut-out that includes the cockpit decals only) over a wide strip of Tamiya tape and using a sharp blade/straight edge to cut through the decal and backing paper through to the tape below.  You could save the "silver" edges of the decal with the option of using them later.   I've done this with some success on other projects.  I expect this will be a handsome DC-8 when you're done with it!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Another option--and you likely know this already--is to use the AIM cockpit decals as a basis for your own, taping the decal sheet (or a cut-out that includes the cockpit decals only) over a wide strip of Tamiya tape and using a sharp blade/straight edge to cut through the decal and backing paper through to the tape below.  You could save the "silver" edges of the decal with the option of using them later.   I've done this with some success on other projects.  I expect this will be a handsome DC-8 when you're done with it!

This is more or less what I had planned. I’ll use the AIM windscreen decal as a guide to making my own masks but by placing Tamiya tape over the clear packaging with the decal beneath and using it to trace the outlines. 

Im trying to ascertain whether the Delta DC-8s had the aluminium surrounds to the cockpit glazing - a bit more digging needed...

3 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

They did have aluminum surrounds.  

That’s a great shot - thank you. 

It appears from that picture that the stabilisers are white too... you learn something new every day!

• Like 1

Howdy all,

A little more progress on the cockpit and glazing. 

I gave the seats a quick lick of dark grey and glued them into the flight deck along with the control columns. It wasn't worth going mad here as not a huge amount will be seen. I then lined the mating surfaces of the clear piece with a black marker to avoid the edges being visible, and glued it to the opening on the fuselage. Here, despite careful filing and test fitting, a nasty lip was left on the upper join, marked by the arrow below:

50951053116_aa64a20d2e_z.jpg50950998191_e9889122cc_o by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

So despite may careful sanding and polishing previously, there was no other option other than to give it good sanding to try to reduce this step before applying any filler:

50951090302_3eb3387afb_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I then applied my trusty Milliput and then began a long session to blend the glazing in and bring the clear piece back to being nice and clear:

50950290493_1e285dccac_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Getting there:

50950290388_b94f4c01e4_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Perfect:

50950290423_645b828d24_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Using the AIM decal as a guide, I then set about making my own masks for the cockpit windows:

50951012311_0c6a97dcb6_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Which, I think, has had the desired outcome:

50950998541_b8595fe838_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50951089757_dff795c611_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50951089852_d864730a6e_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

A couple of minor tweaks needed, but I'm quite happy with the look.

I've also just added the nose intakes, which will need a quick lick of filler:

50950289553_9b00886404_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Until next time, all the best,

Tom

• Like 12