Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 Delta Airlines

Very nice progress there.

But in my humble opinion the cockpit window decal seems a bit off shape.The side and front windows are a tad too wide.

Here a link to a DC-8 site.

If you scroll down a bit you find some front shots of the DC-8,you will see what I mean

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/DouglasDC8.html

Alex

Tom P: it looks like it's coming along.  Cockpit windows on the 8's always look small to me.  How's the roof look in profile?  Also, in looking at photos of the real thing, I think there's a flat area in the skin just above the center windscreen, which makes perfect sense to me, as it would reflect a continuation in shape formed by the stringers that compose that area of the flight deck structure.

13 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Very nice progress there.

But in my humble opinion the cockpit window decal seems a bit off shape.The side and front windows are a tad too wide.

Here a link to a DC-8 site.

If you scroll down a bit you find some front shots of the DC-8,you will see what I mean

http://www.michaelprophet.com/News_articles/DouglasDC8.html

Alex

I think you’re right there, Alex. I’ve got a few minor tweaks to do with the masks before I commit to paint. 

10 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Tom P: it looks like it's coming along.  Cockpit windows on the 8's always look small to me.  How's the roof look in profile?  Also, in looking at photos of the real thing, I think there's a flat area in the skin just above the center windscreen, which makes perfect sense to me, as it would reflect a continuation in shape formed by the stringers that compose that area of the flight deck structure.

Cockpit profile looks good - or as good as I’m going to get it, anyway. The flat panel is there on the Mach 2 glazing, it’s just more subtle than the real thing. 

Tom

• Like 1

Gotta love Delta!  This thread reminds me of when I used to travel for business extensively back in the 70's.  Was coming home to Atlanta one day on a Delta DC-8.  I was sitting in the tail end of the aircraft.  In any case, the pilot practiced his carrier approach and slammed the thing down on the runway.  As soon as he did that, we heard a loud boom inside the aircraft and all of a sudden, a torrent of water started flowing down the aisle from the aft galley.  Evidently, when the pilot slammed it down on the runway, a water pipe broke in the galley resulting in us practically having to swim to get out of the aircraft.  :frantic:

BTW, nice job on this bird.  I'll be anxious to see it complete.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Looking very nice, the cockpit Glazing came up well, those nail pads are great  , when SWMBO got a new one, I snaffled it away and she didn't realise and thought she was going mad so bought another, then I put it out where she would find it and when she exclaimed she had found it I said if that's going spare I could do with one for modelling,  etc voila a free buffing pad , don't tell her, I would be in for it!!!

Great work 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

We've had the first glimpses of spring down here in Kent today so I've given the DC-8 a splash of primer:

50966165797_c7a4cdf685_z.jpgDSC_0004 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50966060166_932210a7fa_z.jpgDSC_0002 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50965352488_3a4865b1d2_z.jpgDSC_0006 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

There's a few minor blemishes to address, but overall it's come out ok!

If the weather continues to warm, I may be able to start in the main colours...

Tom

• Like 13

It looks really great, Tom P.!  What is your go-to on primer, and what is your normal order of operations, paint-wise?  Mine would be to start with the fuselage crown, low-pressure compressor engine nacelles, and tail feathers--get that white looking good.  I would not bother to undercoat the leading edges of the tail or stabilizers in black, but would simply mask and airbrush metallic directly over the white.  The headache is less severe that way.  

After getting the white all taken care of, I'd mask it and work on the gray areas.  Your added complexity here is with the engines, and I hardly know what to suggest here, other than to undercoat all of the remaining areas in gloss black, and polish it nice and smooth.  You may have a plan to employ some of that gray primer to create different metal shades on the engines, and I think that could work.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

It looks really great, Tom P.!  What is your go-to on primer, and what is your normal order of operations, paint-wise?  Mine would be to start with the fuselage crown, low-pressure compressor engine nacelles, and tail feathers--get that white looking good.  I would not bother to undercoat the leading edges of the tail or stabilizers in black, but would simply mask and airbrush metallic directly over the white.  The headache is less severe that way.  

After getting the white all taken care of, I'd mask it and work on the gray areas.  Your added complexity here is with the engines, and I hardly know what to suggest here, other than to undercoat all of the remaining areas in gloss black, and polish it nice and smooth.  You may have a plan to employ some of that gray primer to create different metal shades on the engines, and I think that could work.

I use automotive paint from Halfords here in the UK - it's absolutely bullet-proof but does rely on warm, dry conditions for paint. Unfortunately you can't use the rattle-cans indoors as they absolutely stink and the wife tends to get the hump. 

It is the Halfords's grey primer on the model already - this will get a light rub-down before I'll likely start on the various metal shades, using their Aluminium as a starting point. There's no need to use gloss black or the like under these paints. I'll probably then do the greys on the wings, before masking up the entire lower sections and finish with the white. I may well do the engines last with the airbrush which is better for the detail work.

2 minutes ago, Alex1978 said:

Wow...its really looking like a DC-8 already.

Superb progress,looking forward to the paintjob👍

Thanks, Alex - and yes Mach 2 have really captured the shapes well I think.

Tom

• Thanks 1

Models always look good primed, as you know most of the hard modelling graft is done and it’s now onto the painting stage, my personal choice in primer is Tamiya fine primer, especially grey as it is also very robust and polishes up great, I only use their white for large white areas  although I also use the Tamiya gloss through my airbrush to give it a satin look to finish it off as well rather than the Halfords white, which to me looks to glossy in 1/72, but every one has their own preference, and I know Toms expertises will come out looking great in the end, the down side though to Tamiya stuff is it is more expensive 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

So you can actually mask over Halford's metallics?  That sounds great!

Yes with no problem. I've used Halfords' paints for may years now, and when treated right, they give excellent results. Most of my airliner models have the Halfords treatment, but as I say it's a summer job as you need to be outside and the weather warm.

This B-36 was done with their aluminium as a base, with various other shades of silvers added and I really like the outcome - I think it gives a nicely 'used' look to the metal surfaces and not too shiny.

48770566937_e26dae408b_z.jpgDSC_0266 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

3 hours ago, kev67 said:

Models always look good primed, as you know most of the hard modelling graft is done and it’s now onto the painting stage, my personal choice in primer is Tamiya fine primer, especially grey as it is also very robust and polishes up great, I only use their white for large white areas  although I also use the Tamiya gloss through my airbrush to give it a satin look to finish it off as well rather than the Halfords white, which to me looks to glossy in 1/72, but every one has their own preference, and I know Toms expertises will come out looking great in the end, the down side though to Tamiya stuff is it is more expensive 

Yeah when the primer goes on you know the battle is almost won... 

The Halfords' white is indeed very glossy, but I have been using Tamiya Clear as a final top coat of late and it just takes the edge off and gives a fairly decent in-scale gloss finish. Well that's the plan, anyway!

• Like 1

On 21/02/2021 at 16:55, tomprobert said:

It is the Halfords's grey primer on the model already - this will get a light rub-down before I'll likely start on the various metal shades, using their Aluminium as a starting point. There's no need to use gloss black or the like under these paints. 

Wow Tom, your DC-8 looks great! This will be a real beauty in the Delta livery later.

I mostly use Tamiya spray cans for my big 1:72 kits, but I have to use gloss Black under metal / aluminium surfaces (as for my American Airlines 747 SCA).. this Halfords primer would be easier in use! 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Evening all,

There was a bit of delay with this build due to the need for good weather for outside spraying. I'm a big fan of the Halfords paint range as outlined above, but you need warm, sunny and relatively windless days to get results with these paints - thankfully spring has sprung here in Kent and I've been busy getting the Mighty-8 painted.

Paints used were Halfords Aluminium as a base for the natural metal areas, and then Citroen Arctic Silver for the the slightly darker metal areas to offer a but of contrast. White was Appliance White which is my 'go to' for white finishes. The bright light in these pictures mean the varied metal finish isn't all that visible, but I can assure you it's there!

51125209987_7488b36605_z.jpgDSC_0099 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51125683698_864b0df22f_z.jpgDSC_0101 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51126584195_46effe0b96_z.jpgDSC_0104 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51125209532_040670b494_z.jpgDSC_0105 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51125209217_0b95dfbbb9_z.jpgDSC_0110 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51125209392_be5526bdc8_z.jpgDSC_0107 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

I'm going to fit the landing gear next and then make a start on the decals.

All the best,

Tom

• Like 13

Oooooo this looks very nice indeed, can really see the contrasts in metal on the last image.  Great job.  I do these spray jobs with the airliners in the garage,  I learnt the hard way when insects would land in the paint when spraying my cars, it really does take self control not to try and extract them before the ain't goes off!!!

Great work on this

Chris 

• Haha 1

Beautifully done, Tom!  This is a masterpiece.  All I can say is: "wow!"  It sounds like the paints you're using are very durable, and the whole project will be solid as a rock, which is exactly what you need on a model of this size.  If you need to paint aluminum leading edges over the white (up to you), you can easily achieve good aluminum effects directly over white using ALCLAD or AK metallics without having to first undercoat with black.  That's what I learned from my little Hawker.

13 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Oooooo this looks very nice indeed, can really see the contrasts in metal on the last image.  Great job.  I do these spray jobs with the airliners in the garage,  I learnt the hard way when insects would land in the paint when spraying my cars, it really does take self control not to try and extract them before the ain't goes off!!!

Great work on this

Chris 

I know the feeling (and frustration) well. Thankfully, being spring, there aren't too many of the little critters around at the moment, so I'm hoping to get this wrapped up with a clear coat etc. before the height of summer!

12 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Wow,this looks really great already.

Superb work so far

Thanks, Alex - appreciated!

7 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done, Tom!  This is a masterpiece.  All I can say is: "wow!"  It sounds like the paints you're using are very durable, and the whole project will be solid as a rock, which is exactly what you need on a model of this size.  If you need to paint aluminum leading edges over the white (up to you), you can easily achieve good aluminum effects directly over white using ALCLAD or AK metallics without having to first undercoat with black.  That's what I learned from my little Hawker.

Thank you - the paints are indeed rock hard once fully cured - 24hrs in the airing cupboard usually does the trick much to the ire of 'er indoors. 

I'll use Tamiya polished aluminium for the leading edges I think - I've never been able to get on with Alclad - it's my modelling nemesis!

I got the landing gear assembled and fitted last night so hoping to get decalling this week...

All the best,

Tom

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Good evening all,

Apologies it's been so long since I updated this thread, but I've had a decalling disaster and the whole project ground to a halt whilst I tried to get things sorted. I had an absolute disaster of my own making with the AIM decal sheet, so tried to get a replacement but they are out of print. After contacting various decal manufacturers I struck gold with Juan from 8A decals and he kindly agreed to print me an enlargement of his 1/144th Delta sheet. I cannot recommend 8A decals enough - absolutely superb customer service and he was very happy to help and the price was very reasonable too - the decals were a pleasure to work with and the results speak for themselves...

51312460595_89f5ca7833_z.jpgDSC_0182 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51310712732_425a92558b_z.jpgDSC_0189 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51311459466_01bbc089ca_z.jpgDSC_0184 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

51310712802_7d822896bf_z.jpgDSC_0186 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

On the home straight now, folks.

All the best,
Tom

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1