Mach 2 1/72nd scale DC-8-50 Delta Airlines

Afternoon all,

I spent some time at the bench last night sanding the wing joins. A pretty successful operation - the leading edge of the port wing has been corrected with Milliput and it now matches the starboard side:

50846678792_68101a8673_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Milliput easily took care of the gaps where the upper wings joined the fuselage fairings:

50846593221_ae8440cc81_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The underside was a similar story  -no drama here other then needing to reinstate some obliterated panel lines:

50846679282_83ac0ab38f_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Phase one of the starboard stabiliser correction was a resounding success - it'll need a quick lick of filler and the raised fairings made and added to be complete:

50845867558_be899ed1e9_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Regardless about what you may think about Mach 2 kits, this one is certainly DC-8 shaped:

50846678952_847041c635_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50846593046_5e67b843f2_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Next up will be finishing off the stabilisers and then it's on to the engines...

See you all soon,

Tom

• Like 15

That's beginning to look really nice. From my limited experience with Mach2 kits, Miliput is really your friend, especially if a 'silver' finish is needed. My York was in that colour overall and it seem to add a lot of work as the kits surface finish was less than smooth. 

• Like 1

It definitely looks like it's coming along there.  I believe what you sanded off on the right side were aluminum panels attached to the horizontal stabilizers themselves (on the real thing) that move with the entire stabilizer around its trim pivot point. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Mr T said:

Miliput is really your friend, especially if a 'silver' finish is needed.

Ditto Britannia...Miliput wasn't a one stop shop, but definitely helped plug a few large holes before the job lot of Halfords filler primer arrived!

• Like 2

That's why I liked it. A big depression on the underside of the York fuselage, Miliput sorted most of it and then some Halfords filler primer. 

Back to the model, the surface finish looks a bit less rough than most Mach kits, I have seen or had, or is it the lighting? 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2021 at 8:37 PM, Mr T said:

That's beginning to look really nice. From my limited experience with Mach2 kits, Miliput is really your friend, especially if a 'silver' finish is needed. My York was in that colour overall and it seem to add a lot of work as the kits surface finish was less than smooth. 

The lower fuselage on this will be NMF so I'm hoping the Millput will work it's magic. The surface isn't too bad on this so I don't think filler-primer will be needed, but a good dousing in the grey stuff will most definitely be needed.

On 1/18/2021 at 10:56 PM, TheyJammedKenny! said:

It definitely looks like it's coming along there.  I believe what you sanded off on the right side were aluminum panels attached to the horizontal stabilizers themselves (on the real thing) that move with the entire stabilizer around its trim pivot point. 

Indeed I think you are correct - most pictures show them to be aluminium so I may have a go with some foil for these parts. 

On 1/18/2021 at 11:21 PM, Fritag said:

Everything you build, in whatever scale, Tom just seems to progress beautifully and elegantly.  Always a pleasure to follow.

You're too kind - I can assure you though that a camera can work wonders in hiding various faux pas on my part! 

On 1/19/2021 at 2:40 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

So you are running a thread here, I have been following on FB and another forum you are posting to.

It is great to see this being knocked into shape, nice to see the kits issues are fairly easily addressed so far :popcorn:

Good to have you along, Ray!

On 1/19/2021 at 2:51 AM, Ad-4N said:

You’ve got to REALLY want a 1/72 DC-8 to tackle the Mach 2 kit.  REALLY.  I salute you.  

It's really not that bad a kit actually - not Tamiya by any stretch but nothing too strenuous thus far...

I've begun working on the engines - here they are in their raw form:

50853946256_1f8ba12b48_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

It's useful to have the intakes as single pieces which means you don't need to worry about hiding an unsightly join.

The pylons have been assembled and added to the wings - fit isn't great but filler will do it's stuf:

50853946196_0e3d0647a5_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50853946236_0f9941c898_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The engines themselves were assembled without issue:

50853946276_e445e7eb64_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The chin intakes will need a bit of blending with filler, but are a reasonable starting point:

50854037552_93c18f5e80_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

More filling and sanding ahead, but it's all good fun!

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
Typos
  • Like 14

On 1/20/2021 at 7:13 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

Have you run out of display space for these big kits yet?

Not quite - but it won't be long!

On 1/20/2021 at 7:32 PM, woody37 said:

Enjoying this Tom, it's not often we get a 1/72 or any other scale DC8 on here and we know it's in capable hands :)

Thanks, Neil - hopefully a few more will grace these pages as tie goes on. It seems to be a good seller!

Milliput and some careful sanding has worked it's magic with the pylons...

50870980208_9706640e04_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50871685291_58c94a4097_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

50871685421_5668b3dba4_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Tail issue has been resolved - swivel plates made from thin plastic card:

50871787402_a05cdddbef_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

Starting to look the part:

50871787392_98fbe4c70a_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

On to the engines themselves next...

All the best,

Tom

Edited by tomprobert
  • Like 11

Not to criticize, but maybe it's photographic distortion: your outboard engine pylon on the left side seems to be at a different angle relative to the wing than the inboard--hanging in the vertical rather than perpendicular to the undersurface of the wing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Not to criticize, but maybe it's photographic distortion: your outboard engine pylon on the left side seems to be at a different angle relative to the wing than the inboard--hanging in the vertical rather than perpendicular to the undersurface of the wing.

I can assure you it’s the camera playing tricks - the pylons are all perfectly aligned with each other!

• Like 1

Hello, you are very good at dealing with such a difficult matter as MACH 2. To start with their models, you need to be very remote and have modeling knowledge, which you have proven more than once with your projects. The model and the structure itself look impressive. The DC-8 is a very nice plane, especially in KLM colors. Congratulations and I wish you continued success.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2021 at 8:13 PM, Vesa Jussila said:

This is good attitude. I have WB-57F Waiting and quality there is in same level, or lack of it.

As I said earlier in the thread, you don't buy a Mach 2 kit and expect Tamiya quality. Some good old fashioned graft is needed, but that's part of what makes these kits great - in my humble opinion of course!

On 1/25/2021 at 8:45 PM, podciech said:

Hello, you are very good at dealing with such a difficult matter as MACH 2. To start with their models, you need to be very remote and have modeling knowledge, which you have proven more than once with your projects. The model and the structure itself look impressive. The DC-8 is a very nice plane, especially in KLM colors. Congratulations and I wish you continued success.

This kit really isn't too bad at all - in fact I've been pleasantly surprised after hearing horror stories about their previous releases. KLM is indeed a lovely scheme, and I have been looking over the kit-supplied decals and there's a lack of stencils, door outlines etc., so I may well invest in some aftermarket decals for this. 

A small update for today - the engines have been filled, sanded, panel lines reinstated and are ready for installation when I'm next at the bench:

50879207967_e3ea7f95b0_z.jpgUntitled by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

The small chin intakes needed a bit of reshaping with Milliput, but should look fine under some paint. Time will tell..

Take care all,

Tom

• Like 5

Nicely done!  On my Heller 707, due to the complexity of paintwork, I treated each engine as a "model unto itself," primed and painted it, and attached it to the wing at a later stage with filler putty at the joints.  That does not seem like an option here.

• Like 1