Greenback Castle Ryan M-1, 1/72

I've been wanting to build one of these kits for quite a while and finally got ahold of one in a trade last summer.  At first glance the kit looks a little crude but closer inspection reveals some very finely molded parts, especially the landing gear legs.  The biggest problem with my kit was the main wing which had a lot of waviness and sinkholes due to the fact that it was molded in one piece.  I decided to aggressively sand it to smooth it out which also removed all of the detail.   That was replaced with plastic strip, rescribing, etc.  Other than that is is basically "out-of-the-box", I did replace the landing gear "axle" with a replacement bent up from brass rod because I could not get the plastic part to fit well with the landing gear legs.

The biggest challenge was replicating the engine-turned finish on the cowl panels and fuselage top around the cockpits.  The wheel covers also needed similar treatment.  I looked on a few forums to see what others have done and decided that printing a pattern on clear decal film and applying it over a bright silver paint would have the best chance of success for me.  I used Photoshop to make up a pattern of small graduated dots and printed them onto clear decal with a laser printer.  Those decals were then cut to shape and applied and I think the concept is quite sound and easy to do.  The effect may be more impressionistic than realistic but doesn't look too bad in this small scale. 

Thanks for looking!
-Dan

6xV5wP2.jpg

A1Be3kD.jpg

eonf25k.jpg

QA3fqJk.jpg

• Like 20

Nice build of a classic and historic kit. I think it was the first limited-run injection kit ever produced (1971) and the work of a guy called Vic Seely, who worked for Boeing.

Not sure how successful a venture it was as other projected kits never materialised, but he was later involved with the Williams Bros Boeing 247, IIRC.  I have a couple of them to do the 2 versions, but there probably won't be much left after I've finished. You did well to get the ancient decals to work.

Really great job on that.

on a side note, you have bought back to life a Modelling Company that existed for only a nano second, and not sure if this was not their only ever kit.

I do know I tried to get it back in the '70's, but had no luck in those pre internet days.

Thank you John, Roger and Graeme!  I believe it is true that this is the only kit he ever produced.  I've read that a Gee Bee was to follow but it never happened.  I was not aware of the Williams Bros. connection, that is interesting.  

As for the decals, the set in my kit still looked very good and possibly useable but I scanned them and printed a new set on clear decal film.  Better safe than sorry!

-Dan