Hawker Tempest II MW416 XC-D - Eduard & Airwaves 1/48

Hi all,

Here's the penultimate build in my Hawker collection, the Hawker Tempest II. I used Eduards excellent Tempest series 2 and the Airwaves conversion; unfortunately, I hadn't realised the Airwaves conversion was designed for the series 1 Edaurd kit (which has a much thicker wing), so the fit wasn't great and I spent a lot of time sanding, filling and filing to get it to fit - unfortunately, this meant I lost some surface detail, by the time it all fitted, I'd had enough and didn't feel like rescribing!

I spray painted it with humbrol matt black, followed by Humbrol silver (both from a rattle can) and I got a very nice finish (I put this down to spraying black first, I've not done that previously). I weaherd i with an ink wash and exhaust stains (I think I could have gone a bit heavier on the weathering). I had to home print a few decals, the squadron badge, squadron leaders pennant and the underwing serials - they turned out OK.

I chose to model MW416, as I didn't want to model anything green/grey (my Typhoon and Tempest V in the same collection are both green/grey) and I like the colourful nose. In addition, MW416 was one of the 50(ish) Tempest II's built at Bristol's Banwell factory (local to me).

38462444505_a85c0b39e1_k.jpg

Tempest Mk.II MW416/XC-D flown by Squadron Leader Ambrose, No. 16 Squadron RAF, Zeltweg, Germany, July 1947.

IMG_20210106_190943

IMG_20210106_191022

IMG_20210106_191050

IMG_20210106_190819

IMG_20210106_190740

IMG_20210106_191224

IMG_20210106_191153

IMG_20210106_190915

IMG_20210106_191323

Thanks for looking!

Ben

• Like 35
  • Thanks 1

Excellent job Ben,..... one of my favourite Tempest`s and you`ve replicated it beautifully,..... I must get on and start one of these Eduard Tempests soon! I wonder if they do a Mk.II eventually? 

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind words all :D

8 hours ago, keith in the uk said:

Super job :like: the silver finish looks spot on , which Humbrol silver did you use ?

Cheers Keith, I used Humbrol 11 acrylic spray, over the top of humbrol 33 acrylic spray - this was all sealed with Halfords Clear Lacquer to a high gloss finish, before weathering and spraying with humbrol 49 matt acrylic varnish to acheive a more realistic high seed silver look.

3 hours ago, tonyot said:

Excellent job Ben,..... one of my favourite Tempest`s and you`ve replicated it beautifully,..... I must get on and start one of these Eduard Tempests soon! I wonder if they do a Mk.II eventually? 

Cheers

Tony

1 hour ago, jaw said:

Eduard have got a 1/48 Tempest II on their list for this year!

John

The Eduard Tempests really are fantastic, much like the Mk IX of theirs I made a little while ago - I was much too impatient to wait for Eduard to release their Mk II!

@tonyot, the info on your Tempest GB thread was incredibly helpful (that's where I got the image from)!

Ben

• Like 1