1/48 Airfix Canberra B(I)6

On 19/04/2021 at 19:12, Graham T said:

Nice work so far.  Having built a couple of these models, I can confirm the an old mini engine should provide enough nose weight!🤣

Thanks Graham. I'm starting to wonder if there's enough up front - I think I'll get away with it... just!

As I mentioned at the beginning, this model is being built without too much enhancing. Having said that, as pointed out by @Evil_Toast_RSA on his PR9 build, the rudder really does need some attention to remove the trench lines... A quick coat of PPP resulted in a smoother finish:

rddr.jpg

This was then glued into place, so the major assemblies are now almost complete:

bits2.jpg

I have attached the nav lights to the wingtips - macro photography makes them look appalling, but a little filler and a sand/polish should do the trick:

tips.jpg

The first tailplane is also glued on, after removing the primer from the mating surfaces:

tp.jpg

I think this should shortly resemble a Canberra!

• Like 11

As warned by others who have trodden this path before, the balance of the model was marginal with a risk it being a tail-sitter - despite all the lead in the nose...! To fix this I smeared some 2p coins with silicone sealant, popped them through the wing attachment slots and shook the model until they settled somewhere near the front of the bomb bay. This was left to set overnight and it seems to have done the trick! 🤞

The wings are now in situ too - she's a big model:

big.jpg

Some ppp in the wing joints should fix the gap and then I will get the whole model covered in white primer ready for some paint.👍

• Like 13

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/04/2021 at 23:02, Sturmovik said:

The Canberra is a really good looking aircraft, and you're doing a great job on the kit.

On 30/04/2021 at 20:51, Tornado 01 said:

Looking good so far

On 30/04/2021 at 22:27, The Spadgent said:

Great progress on a lovely bird.

Thank you! She's a filler queen, but an easy one too if that makes sense?

On 30/04/2021 at 22:27, The Spadgent said:

Visions of buffeting ikky two pence pieces down the shaft of a mini Canberra is what Friday nights are all about. 🙀

I just hope I have done enough! If not, the tail prop beckons...😉

A blast of primer improved the look of the model considerably:

canny.jpg

A few minor blemishes received some more PPP:

ppp.jpg

If the weather behaves, pre-shading and painting will happen this week. I'm looking forward to this bit - I haven't used the airbrush in anger for quite a while...! 🙂

• Like 12

On 09/05/2021 at 23:02, The Spadgent said:

Looking smart. Good luck with the AB. 🙌

Cheers Johnny! Some action yesterday, starting with the obligatory pre-shade:

pres.jpg

I followed this with a light coat of grey on the underside:

coat1.jpg

Here it is again after the second coat - it might need a third one...?:hmmm:

166.jpg

On 10/05/2021 at 21:36, Tornado 01 said:

Big Isn't it !!

Yep! It certainly dwarves the Coke tray it currently lives in! 😁

• Like 10

The topside has now had the second coat of paint and my next task was making some vinyl templates for spraying the green. First I scaled the painting diagram to make it the same size as the model:

tem.jpg

I used the Argentinian version, as the demarcation lines are identical but the colour contrast was much easier to see - the RAF version is nestled in the bottom left of the picture and the grey/green look very similar!

I then used these guides to cut some vinyl sheets the appropriate size and stuck them onto the airframe to protect the grey:

vin.jpg

Time to spray the dark green!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 12/06/2021 at 00:27, k5054nz said:

What happened to the underside? It looks like it's made of marble? Or is the paint just not finished (I may have missed that).

It looks a little marbled, but it doesn't seem so bad in real life... Maybe a third coat of grey should have been applied after all? 🤔

I decided to crack on with this as it's so close to completion. I masked the cannon pod:

mk.jpg

Then gave it a coat of matt black. Here it is, with the wheel wells finally revealed too:

u2.jpg

Definitely some tonal variation but hopefully not too pronounced?

Decals next!

• Like 10

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Tornado 01 said:

Did I miss the RFI in the couple of months I was minus a working PC ?

Nope, I’ve just been very slow at getting around to the decals! Funnily enough, I made a start on these at the weekend whilst I was working on my A380 decals. Should be something to show soon…👍

• Like 1

Interesting DIY masking....what kind of vinyl sheet are you using and where do you get it?

also I have visions of a very confused archaeologist in a few hundred years coming up with theories as to why offerings of money were placed inside replica planes...

• Haha 2

Looking good Matt. I love the Canberra. In my youth, I spent a couple of years working in the MOD project team responsible for Canberra refurbs in the 70's. It was great as I got to crawl all over and inside many different marks at BAC's (then) Samlesbury facility. LOvely aircraft.

Terry

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/08/2021 at 13:02, wombat said:

Interesting DIY masking....what kind of vinyl sheet are you using and where do you get it?

I'm not sure - it's A4 sized and I bought it on eBay a couple of years ago. It's very good.

On 23/08/2021 at 13:02, wombat said:

also I have visions of a very confused archaeologist in a few hundred years coming up with theories as to why offerings of money were placed inside replica planes...

That should confuse them! 😆

On 23/08/2021 at 13:42, franky boy said:

Super work on the painting. She looks very nice indeed. 

Thank you!

On 25/08/2021 at 09:20, Terry1954 said:

Looking good Matt. I love the Canberra. In my youth, I spent a couple of years working in the MOD project team responsible for Canberra refurbs in the 70's. It was great as I got to crawl all over and inside many different marks at BAC's (then) Samlesbury facility. LOvely aircraft.

Cheers Terry. I have a PR9 in the stash, so that will also join this model one day. A few others to build first though...!

As mentioned earlier, the decals are gradually going on. The underside is done; here's the state of play on the upper wing:

d2.jpg

Still a few more to go! Blame the 747 in the background for slowing this one down...

• Like 7