Westland Wyvern S4 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

I’m always running out of «laughts» with the Ced’s threads! 😹 It’s great to see how you’re enjoying the builds even if it’s not an easiest ones, mr B.! Excellent progress so far, love the British birds. I have the Gannet in my stash, maybe it’ll be started one day. 👍

Thanks Nikolay :)

For me, BM is most of the fun and the modelling - mostly, fun too.

2 hours ago, rob85 said:

I can’t keep up! Looking great Ced, the masking looked like good fun! EDSG is looking very nice indeed.

Rob

Thanks Rob :)

To be precise it's DSG on this one although I have some EDSG plans soon!

I couldn't go to bed without doing this:

50872101622_95bea20328_z.jpg

Look at all that tape!

I was generally happy until I came to the last piece I took off.

Seriously, the last piece:

50871997781_d0932e4346_z.jpg

A hoard of rats! It'll touch in, as will this stupid little bit:

50872103792_df33b93af5_z.jpg

…and this:

50872000556_29bc70ed8f_z.jpg

The other side was fine:

50872107222_4417a40f00_z.jpg

OK, a tiny bit on the end of the root but hey, who's looking?

Oh, you lot, right :D 

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That looks very nice indeed Ced, cracking job!

K

Thanks Keith :)

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

That looks stunning Ced, you've raised the bar again!

As this one's nearly done what's next on the bench?

Stay safe            Roger

Thanks Roger :) 

I'm waiting for things to dry before the gloss coat so, continuing the Naval theme, have opened the box on this:

Come on over!

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like the Tamiya Tape for Curves worked, in the end... :)  Bar the touch ups, she looks great! :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :) 

Touch ups done:

50873903547_3cd3c73047_z.jpg

Sky bits painted on the racks:

50873802116_230eac7951_z.jpg

I'll let all that dry overnight then gloss coat for the transfers.

• Like 20

That does look well @CedB, but the yellow and black keeps reminding me of electrical tape.

Haven’t gotten near the bench in a week, my me is flaring up, (or maybe it’s my squirrel brain telling me to hibernate  ) so all I can do is model vicariously through the forums :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 21/01/2021 at 19:34, giemme said:

Well...

You know...

You could have masked for the stripes after having painted the camouflage. All it takes is to lay down an off-white coat before the yellow, so that you don't need elevenumpteen coats to cover the Sky and DSG...

:whistle:

:D

Ciao 

I agree with what this man says. 😇 still she turned out amazingly. 

On 22/01/2021 at 12:03, CedB said:

50862047708_0798daed07_z.jpg

Wow!! That’s beautiful.

On 24/01/2021 at 19:52, TheBaron said:

Ced, if that tape around the exhaust gives problems with forming a sufficiently sealed outline involving compound curves, I've found in similar situations in the past that firstly delineating the edge of the outline accurately with a strip no wider than 2mm let's you accurately define the required boundary between two regions (in terms of being able to bend and form complicated and varying curves without intrusive wrinkles disrupting the outline). Once you've an accurate boundary set in place, you can then build back from it with thicker strips of tape.

I also agree with this man. It’s a very good way to mask odd shapes for sure.

So glad this isn’t quite over. I noticed your other build had started so I thought this was done and dusted.  Glad I didn’t miss it. The masking has turned out fantastically well. I’ll make sure I keep up from now on.

Johnny

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, giemme said:

Brilliant! :clap:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio :)

10 hours ago, perdu said:

Our work here is done.

8 hours ago, Brandy said:

Wait, what?? Ced's epiphany!

Ian

Bill, Ian, thanks :)

I can't promise that my laziness won't win again… all it will take is one bit of silvering after a gloss coat.

7 hours ago, Marklo said:

That does look well @CedB, but the yellow and black keeps reminding me of electrical tape.

Haven’t gotten near the bench in a week, my me is flaring up, (or maybe it’s my squirrel brain telling me to hibernate  ) so all I can do is model vicariously through the forums :) 

Weird isn't it Mark? What were they thinking? What's wrong with black and white D-day stripes i ask you :)

1 hour ago, hendie said:

looking darned fine Mr Ced.  Shame about having to do touch ups, but that's the type of thing we live for... right?

I'm impressed with the smoothness of your paint job

Thanks hendie, very kind. It's Colourcoats, pretty foolproof IMHO :)

56 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

I agree with what this man says. 😇 still she turned out amazingly. 

Wow!! That’s beautiful.

I also agree with this man. It’s a very good way to mask odd shapes for sure.

So glad this isn’t quite over. I noticed your other build had started so I thought this was done and dusted.  Glad I didn’t miss it. The masking has turned out fantastically well. I’ll make sure I keep up from now on.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny. It's these proper modellers. They keep telling me to let things cure so I had to slow down (cuh!) and find something else to occupy me.

Don't fret about keeping up, I know your busy on the Hinds :) 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

You know, that EDSG over Sky with Yellow & Black stripeys is rather dapper. Did the Hawker Sea Hawk ever get such a cool paint job during the Suez Crisis?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Did the Hawker Sea Hawk ever get such a cool paint job during the Suez Crisis?

Indeed it did as did the Sea Venom, Avenger and Skyraider.

Martian 👽

• Like 5

That is some nice work on the Wyvern, Ced! I've one of these I've been fiddling about with for a while. You are correct about the stripeys being on the aircraft you mentioned, your Martianness. I've a whole lot of Suez aircraft kits queued up for me to work on a bit, put a side for a while, work on again for a bit, put aside again... You get the point. I do find it a bit ironic that the Wyvern, with its troubles, was being used for ground attack during Musketeer, whilst a far-superior attack aircraft, the Skyraider, was being used only for AEW work. Well, I guess you go to war with what you have... I have to admit to having a semi-great idea for a what-if, with a Wyvern done in the SEAF scheme, as a USAF attack aircraft during the Vietnam war.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 3

Jason, you’re missing the point about Wyvern vs Skyraider.  This was the 50s; the Wyvern was built in the UK whereas the Skyraider wasn’t. End of procurement discussion.  If they could have found a way of getting a Brit-built AEW cab airborne (& there were discussions about the Fairey Spearfish, for one) they’d have done it.  Politics wins every time.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

You know, that EDSG over Sky with Yellow & Black stripeys is rather dapper. Did the Hawker Sea Hawk ever get such a cool paint job during the Suez Crisis?

Cheers,

Bill

DSG it is Bill, according to the scheme - dapper nonetheless :)

5 hours ago, Martian said:

Indeed it did as did the Sea Venom, Avenger and Skyraider.

Martian 👽

Thanks Martian :) 

5 hours ago, Learstang said:

That is some nice work on the Wyvern, Ced! I've one of these I've been fiddling about with for a while. You are correct about the stripeys being on the aircraft you mentioned, your Martianness. I've a whole lot of Suez aircraft kits queued up for me to work on a bit, put a side for a while, work on again for a bit, put aside again... You get the point. I do find it a bit ironic that the Wyvern, with its troubles, was being used for ground attack during Musketeer, whilst a far-superior attack aircraft, the Skyraider, was being used only for AEW work. Well, I guess you go to war with what you have... I have to admit to having a semi-great idea for a what-if, with a Wyvern done in the SEAF scheme, as a USAF attack aircraft during the Vietnam war.

Regards,

Jason

Thanks Jason :) 

Used for ground attack? Rockets, tick, torpedo? I claim artistic licence…

3 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Jason, you’re missing the point about Wyvern vs Skyraider.  This was the 50s; the Wyvern was built in the UK whereas the Skyraider wasn’t. End of procurement discussion.  If they could have found a way of getting a Brit-built AEW cab airborne (& there were discussions about the Fairey Spearfish, for one) they’d have done it.  Politics wins every time.

Ah Crisp, those were the days eh…

Then the politics took over the other way around and we got the F111 instead of the TSR2 :weep:

Carry on talking amongst yourselves chaps, the gloss coat is drying:

50876693553_008c71a622_z.jpg

• Like 14

Well I made it Ced, page 9! I've not been so active on here lately, but don't know how I missed a Ced build, a FAA aircraft and a Wyvern all at once!

A splendid looking build, of what to me was menacing looking (and I'm certain sounding) attack aircraft, and those Suez colors suited it so well.

I'll try to pay more attention towards the finish line!

Terry

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

Well I made it Ced, page 9! I've not been so active on here lately, but don't know how I missed a Ced build, a FAA aircraft and a Wyvern all at once!

A splendid looking build, of what to me was menacing looking (and I'm certain sounding) attack aircraft, and those Suez colors suited it so well.

I'll try to pay more attention towards the finish line!

Terry

Welcome Terry! :) 

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Errr, no we didn't.....!!

(think Phantom, the magnificent Toom!)

Keith

Quite right Keith, I was ranting… although I think the Aussies had something to do with it! :) 

• Haha 4

4 hours ago, CedB said:

DSG it is Bill, according to the scheme - dapper nonetheless :)

My bad. My fingers type EDSG involuntarily. I can't help it.   :doh:

Cheers,

Bill

• Haha 5

No worries Bill - I had to check the references several times :) 

Transfers.

Underside first. Ah, the stripes go over the serials.

50878128592_63f59e31d5_z.jpg

Great.

The scheme shows both serials the same way up but reference shots show alternate, as usual, so I'll do that.

Looks like most of the '7' and the 'W':

50878026771_1a6c9f8c34_z.jpg

Done:

50877349408_096a0c9ff9_z.jpg

Then the top:

50877407293_0fccee5f08_z.jpg

Walkway stripes. Yikes.

Note that the scheme shows the 'Sling' markings in different positions on the wings so I followed that.

What do you mean you can't see them?

Cuh!

• Like 16