Westland Wyvern S4 - Trumpeter 1/72

CedB

During 'The Grand Tour 2019' we visited Newark Air Museum, a great place with an even greater model shop. Of course I couldn't come away without something so I chose this:

50805817943_373f33c037_z.jpg

Bit weird, but I've always liked them. It looks like a great kit too and there are a few builds here on BM including Shellie's and Troffa's which I will plagiarise unashamedly. 

What's in the box?

Transfers:

50806568776_a7908c250c_z.jpg

Oooh look, pigs!

I like a nice pig.

In the same bag was this:

50806682327_b0a30710e6_z.jpg

… which goes on the clear i/p:

50806685032_bcd64b77aa_z.jpg

Told you it was weird.

I had thought about building this wings folded and gear down but then saw the two part trees like this:

50805830418_9042c24b31_z.jpg

Rockets!

Gotta love rockets!

Looks like gear up and on the ceiling then…

Other nicely detailed bits:

50805832893_2f8d144f51_z.jpg

50806579631_24c1664c49_z.jpg

50806581991_c6dbcf1b3e_z.jpg

AND a torpedo!

What's that? They never carried a torpedo and certainly not with rockets? :lalala:

Also in the box, nestling in the instructions, was this little fella:

50806559191_0cc8b36049_z.jpg

Not alive, obviously.

Never found a bug in a kit before…

• Like 25
  • Haha 5

For such a minor aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm’s history, the Wyvern always seems to get an undue amount of attention in the modelling world.  Odd.  

But hey!  It’s a bonkers design.  “Jolie-laide” (as our French allies have it.  Not exactly a runaway success...

I’m in; Ced me up large!

• Like 5

And just how would it look, hanging from the ceiling with the wings folded? Daft, I calls it.

Not pigs as such, BTW. It's a cartoon figure from the late fifties? Named Flook and was the Sqn mascot.

I think it was a newspaper comic strip? WP 344 only served for three years, 831 Sqn on Ark Royal before being scrapped.

I'll loiter near the kettle, I brought my own teabag.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Bloomin' 'eck.  We're 6 days into the new year and he's almost in double figures already!

I'm not sure I can even get to the bar in time before it's about turn and head for the exit in the hope of getting to the bar in the next build.  

What an ugly and strange looking aircraft - it IS an aircraft isn't it? Are we sure about that?

Ced, that bug looks like a prime candidate for a Wyvern driver - you won't even have to cut his feet off

• Haha 8

Got to love a Wyvern, following! Nothing to stop you having the wings folded and U/C down with rockets loaded, plus, you get to play with that nice contra rotating prop mechanism Trumpeter give you. You can't do that hanging from the ceiling, the kit that is. There's an own goal for you, I am going to go to sleep tonight dreaming/ having nightmares of Ced hanging from his chandelier. :yikes:

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

Welcome everyone! :)

17 hours ago, giemme said:

First row, first seat, :yahoo: I'm in :) 

Ciao

Good man Giorgio :) I always like to sit at the front; you can see better and ask questions!

16 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Wow! Looks like a lot of parts compared to the Frog one I took 6 years to build. I’m betting you will be at least 5yr 11mo faster! 

Regards,

Adrian

Oh dear… six years?? I assume there were interruptions, otherwise I'm in for an epic :) 

16 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

Plenty in software Ced LOL.

I think that I will sit in on this one to see how it goes together.

Simon.

Bugs in software? Not in my systems! Ahem. :D 

On time, on spec, on budget!

The old joke goes "choose any two…"

16 hours ago, Heather Kay said:

Lumme! He’s off already! Ced's back on full boost again. 

Thanks Heather - with turbo-prop and contra-rotating! :) 

15 hours ago, AliGauld said:

I've fancied this kit for a while so I'll hop on board if that's alright.

Cheers,

Alistair

Welcome Alistair - it's looking good so far! :) 

15 hours ago, perdu said:

Look a modern one, a Navy one and oddball-ish*.

Must be a must follow, so I will.

*Waits...

Welcome Bill :) 

Sort of modern, but older than me!

Oh wait, I'm modern… yes, down with the kids!

12 hours ago, stevehnz said:

I'm along for this, got one in stock & always keen to see one built. :)

Steve

Hi Steve :) 

I've taken warnings about the engine pod mount and wing fit so I'm a bit hesitant - as usual I'll share all the steps, worms and all!

12 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

For such a minor aircraft in the Fleet Air Arm’s history, the Wyvern always seems to get an undue amount of attention in the modelling world.  Odd.  

But hey!  It’s a bonkers design.  “Jolie-laide” (as our French allies have it.  Not exactly a runaway success...

I’m in; Ced me up large!

Hey Crisp :)

Size matters, they tell me…

Look at it though - who could resist!

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

And just how would it look, hanging from the ceiling with the wings folded? Daft, I calls it.

Not pigs as such, BTW. It's a cartoon figure from the late fifties? Named Flook and was the Sqn mascot.

I think it was a newspaper comic strip? WP 344 only served for three years, 831 Sqn on Ark Royal before being scrapped.

Hi Pete :)

Not a pig? Rats.

Wiki says "Flook, who vaguely resembled a furry pig walking on his hind legs, was a creature from the age of the dinosaurs whom Rufus, in a dream, rescued from cavemen and who then came back to waking reality with him. Flook was able to talk (in seven languages) and was blessed with a fine sense of irony with which to temper Rufus' innocence and enthusiasm."

Sense of irony eh? Time to ham up the build then…

I'll loiter near the kettle, I brought my own teabag.

12 hours ago, Spookytooth said:

A re-usable one?

Simon.

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Of course. Army surplus and a Christmas present from my fan.

Welcome Simon - maybe Pete will share his teabag if you're lucky :D 

9 hours ago, hendie said:

Bloomin' 'eck.  We're 6 days into the new year and he's almost in double figures already!

I'm not sure I can even get to the bar in time before it's about turn and head for the exit in the hope of getting to the bar in the next build.  

Welcome hendie :) 

Two I count. I suppose that counts as a double in those places we used to drink.

Pubs, that's what they're called.

I remember pubs :( 

What an ugly and strange looking aircraft - it IS an aircraft isn't it? Are we sure about that?

“Jolie-laide” as Crisp says. 

But a great mount for the pilot who could see!

And turbo-contra-rotating props!

With rockets and things!

Ced, that bug looks like a prime candidate for a Wyvern driver - you won't even have to cut his feet off

:rofl2:

9 hours ago, Martian said:

Got to love a Wyvern, following! Nothing to stop you having the wings folded and U/C down with rockets loaded, plus, you get to play with that nice contra rotating prop mechanism Trumpeter give you. You can't do that hanging from the ceiling, the kit that is. There's an own goal for you, I am going to go to sleep tonight dreaming/ having nightmares of Ced hanging from his chandelier. :yikes:

Martian 👽

Good enough for me Martian, permission granted and accepted - probably :) 

Hanging from a chandelier? It's been a while…

Sleep well!

2 hours ago, Hamden said:

Like the Wyvern so will take a seat by the window, watch and learn if I may?

Stay safe              Roger

Very welcome Roger. Hopefully it'll be educational - online of course! :) 

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Love the Wyvern. Will follow along. There are several of those late in the day prop driven designs I’d love to add to my collection. 

Welcome Mark :) 

There certainly were some odd aircraft before the jets eh?

Some progress coming…

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

What's this about cutting the 'pod holes' so that you can slide it in afterwards to ease painting?

50808992698_0fc441ecac_z.jpg

The PostIt is Gunze > Humbrol colours. Again.

The pod fits onto lugs in the fuselage:

50808997433_e373134273_z.jpg

…so that you get it in the middle of the intake:

50809739276_f7991c7ba5_z.jpg

Ish. That'll need tidying if anything's visible past the props. More to do…

Worries were also expressed about the non-folded wing fit, although with Martian's recommendation that may not be a problem now…

However:

50809871132_10e94af58d_z.jpg

I went MAD with the drill.

I can't have the bomb and torpedo so two holes have been filled.

Too excited see, I need to calm down…

These gate vestiges stop closure so have to come off:

50809894947_1a10cde289_z.jpg

They're moulded like that where there's a thin edge, and this edges are certainly thin.

Nice.

HOWEVER the flash on the inner wing detail could cause problems if you don't squish it:

50809914887_004024c9cc_z.jpg

Maybe that's what stops people getting the non-folded wing join aligned?

Squished it has been:

50809058443_c3679da54f_z.jpg

Nice detail though eh?

• Like 22

12 minutes ago, Brandy said:

Wait for me!!

:clif:

Phew, made it to the bar in time!

I trust you have already ordered your “substantial meal”.  [So last week; nowadays it’s “ah yes, I remember bars...”]

• Haha 6
  • Sad 1

Great Scott! Managed to get here while we're still on the first page! A decidedly strange-looking beast, the Wyvern, but a product of my home county of Somerset (hence the name, no doubt, the Wyvern being the County's emblem) so what's not to love? Not going for a Suez scheme, though?

You've made a cracking start, Ced, and I've a feeling this will the usual superb outcome, too! I'll be watching from the front row of the Circle, if that's okay. Now, where's the Usherette? "Albatross!"

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

I remember pubs :( 

So do I. I've spent a lot of the last five years underneath them in their cellars, shifting heavy barrels about after a very early morning start.

Nowadays I get to lie in and then lounge around at home or in the manshed. Ain't life a bummer?

See through clamps eh? So you can see what you're, erm, clamping (f'nar!). We had clothes pegs when I were a lad, grumble, etc etc....

• Haha 10