1/48 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.I/IA by ICM - Mk.I & Mk.IA released - new Mk.I boxing in Q2 2024

Homebee

The 'box art' we have been shown may not even be final. MJR Hobbies had this listed on Facebook for Q4 2021 and the artwork quality does not seem to par with other ICM releases so I would hardly be surprised if it is an early draft for the catalogue...

I am not worried yet!

• Like 4

On 2/5/2021 at 2:36 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Like... seriously?

Boxart is commissioned by marketing, the artist provides the initial illustration. The illustration may be revised, changed, there may be several versions. The CAD team has nothing to do with this and has no influence on it. The relationship between the quality of the illustration and the quality of the parts is literally nonexistent.

Actually, Airfix does supply their CAD surface model to the digital artist who does their box art.

12 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

Actually, Airfix does supply their CAD surface model to the digital artist who does their box art.

Companies also provide just one render, in a specific position, without surface detail, with a specific camouflage option. Others provide only a camo scheme, leaving the artist with creative freedom. Everything depends on the contract with the artists, and the artists - as a rule - are not employees of the company and did not develop the CAD model.

Here is quite recent boxart for the FIAT CR.42 from Italeri (#1437). At the top is one of the draft versions, at the bottom the final version. You can see the differences, not only in the number of planes, but also in the quality of the illustration itself. The quality of the Beaufort boxart is lower than standard for ICM boxes, so I suppose the final version will be much better. And it still won't be the basis for judging the contents of the box.

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

G'day Modellers,

raafbloke from the down under colony of Tasmania here. As some of you may know this 31st of March was the 100th birthday of the RAAF, of which I had the honour to serve in over 40 years ago. Some mates and I are doing a multiple build of significant RAAF aircraft to celebrate and there are just two kits we have failed to source anywhere, so far. The main one we're after is a 1/48 Bristol Beaufort (the other is a 1/72 DHC Caribou but they are as rare as chook's teeth! And they were never made in 1/48, except for a ''crazy' resin kit that is even rarer now). 

I have a new Airfix 1/72 Bristol Beaufort coming in the mail to me now; sadly, all our builds have to be 1/48+ unless they were really big aircraft in reality. 

It's a bit like sending coal to Newcastle but I would be happy to send my Airfix 1/72 Beaufort gratis and free postage, to anyone who can help us get our hands on an ICM 1/48 Beaufort, or any 1/48 Beaufort kit for that matter. If the deal needs to be sweetened, I could let someone who leads us to a 1/48 Beaufort kit have the pick of my aircraft stash. Why, you might ask.

A big part of our multiple build is historically important, specific, aircraft. When we got the licence to build Beauforts in Australia, we souped them up a bit and In the RAAF's hands, during WW2 in the Pacific, they turned out be quite effective where the Russians, and others, had several problems with them. It turns out one of our relatives skippered an Aussie Beaufort and had two kills with his 'fish'. That's the aircraft we want to build. 

When all the models are done and we've photographed them we'll donate the best of them to the RAAF Museum at Point Cook RAAF base. 

Then, if any of you good folk actually know where we can get a 1/72 DHC Caribou kit, intact, then I guess we'll have to come up with an even better incentive to get our mitts on that one. But we're not holding our breath. We've been searching for a 'Boo' for 4 years!

Anyway, I wish I had more time to post on here but, as you might guess, we're a bit busy right now. I'm the poor sod that got elected to source kits and aftermarket gear, that'll teach me to have got into the Equipment mustering!  My mates still think I can do an urgent AOG request ;) no such luck. 

Thanks if you got this far into my long post. 

Cheers, 

Bill Halliwell 

PO Box 162 Lindisfarne TAS 7015 Australia

• Like 1

2 hours ago, raafbloke said:

G'day Modellers,

raafbloke from the down under colony of Tasmania here. As some of you may know this 31st of March was the 100th birthday of the RAAF, of which I had the honour to serve in over 40 years ago. Some mates and I are doing a multiple build of significant RAAF aircraft to celebrate and there are just two kits we have failed to source anywhere, so far. The main one we're after is a 1/48 Bristol Beaufort (the other is a 1/72 DHC Caribou but they are as rare as chook's teeth! And they were never made in 1/48, except for a ''crazy' resin kit that is even rarer now). 

I have a new Airfix 1/72 Bristol Beaufort coming in the mail to me now; sadly, all our builds have to be 1/48+ unless they were really big aircraft in reality. 

It's a bit like sending coal to Newcastle but I would be happy to send my Airfix 1/72 Beaufort gratis and free postage, to anyone who can help us get our hands on an ICM 1/48 Beaufort, or any 1/48 Beaufort kit for that matter. If the deal needs to be sweetened, I could let someone who leads us to a 1/48 Beaufort kit have the pick of my aircraft stash. Why, you might ask.

A big part of our multiple build is historically important, specific, aircraft. When we got the licence to build Beauforts in Australia, we souped them up a bit and In the RAAF's hands, during WW2 in the Pacific, they turned out be quite effective where the Russians, and others, had several problems with them. It turns out one of our relatives skippered an Aussie Beaufort and had two kills with his 'fish'. That's the aircraft we want to build. 

When all the models are done and we've photographed them we'll donate the best of them to the RAAF Museum at Point Cook RAAF base. 

Then, if any of you good folk actually know where we can get a 1/72 DHC Caribou kit, intact, then I guess we'll have to come up with an even better incentive to get our mitts on that one. But we're not holding our breath. We've been searching for a 'Boo' for 4 years!

Anyway, I wish I had more time to post on here but, as you might guess, we're a bit busy right now. I'm the poor sod that got elected to source kits and aftermarket gear, that'll teach me to have got into the Equipment mustering!  My mates still think I can do an urgent AOG request ;) no such luck. 

Cheers, 

Bill Halliwell 

The ICM kit isn't due out to late 2021 IIRC

For the Caribou you'd be better off posting on some of the Australian Model For sales facebook groups. That's were the vast majority of 2nd hand stuff traded online is

these days 

21 hours ago, raafbloke said:

G'day Modellers,

Cheers, 

Bill Halliwell 

I know this of no use to you, I had two 1/72 Caribou kits from a friends estate sale not too long ago. Only $20 but I passed them onto 1/72 builders in my club. I can check and see if they will part with them.

I am very pleased to be late to this party. This is my scale so I will wait to get this instead of the Airfix one. I'm not worried about the box art. I'm more worried that they get the kit right and we don't have another Ju 88 issue. ICM don't fix their mistakes. The Ju 88 is a perfect example of that.

On 05/04/2021 at 19:10, Greg Law said:

I am very pleased to be late to this party. This is my scale so I will wait to get this instead of the Airfix one. I'm not worried about the box art. I'm more worried that they get the kit right and we don't have another Ju 88 issue. ICM don't fix their mistakes. The Ju 88 is a perfect example of that.

What's wrong with the Ju-88? The cockpit floor issue?

3 hours ago, Eivind Lunde said:

What's wrong with the Ju-88? The cockpit floor issue?

Yes 

Also the Do215 and 17z tails are far too wide. I have built three of them with a correction aftermarket resin parts that made the models far more realistic.  

ICM never bothered to correct it on following versions even after it had been pointed out on the first kit.

That said I am grateful to ICM for producing these kits in 1/48

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Stephen said:

I'm sure someone will correct me but I suspect this could also be used for Swordfish, Albacore and possibly Beaufighter kits as well.

Not only that, but according to the URL, He-111s and Ju-88s too!

In design by Xtradecal - ref. X48219 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.I/IA Collection Pt.1 

• Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, L4449 ‘OA.H’ of 22 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Thorney Island, UK, January, 1940.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, L9965 ‘T’ of an unknown Squadron, Royal Air Force, based in the Mediterranean, 1942.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, N1011 ‘R’ of 16 Squadron, South African Air Force, based at Ivato, Madagascar, October, 1942.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, DD959 ‘Q’ of 217 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at RAF Luqa, Malta, 1942.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, EK979 ‘35’ of the Middle East Check and Conversion Unit, Royal Air Force, based at Bilbais, Egypt, 1944.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.I, DX157 whilst on it’s delivery flight to India, Spring, 1944.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, LR901 ‘Y9P’ of the Station Flight, RNAS Yeovilton, based at RNAS Yeovilton, UK, Spring, 1945.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA DW891,‘Q’ of 217 Squadron, Royal Air Force, based at Vavuniya, Ceylon, April, 1944.
  • Bristol Beaufort Mk.IA, LR906, ‘42’ of No.2 Torpedo Training Unit based at RAF Castle Kennedy, Scotland, UK, September, 1943.

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X48219

X48219.jpg
X48219-1.jpg
X48219-2.jpg
X48219-3.jpg
X48219-5.jpg

V.P.

• Like 10

On 4/3/2021 at 6:23 AM, raafbloke said:

A big part of our multiple build is historically important, specific, aircraft. When we got the licence to build Beauforts in Australia, we souped them up a bit and In the RAAF's hands, during WW2 in the Pacific, they turned out be quite effective where the Russians, and others, had several problems with them. 

I don't think that the Russians got any Beauforts:  none spare for one reason.  They did take over some Hampden torpedo bombers which they put to reasonable use, and some Albemarles which they were welcome to but didn't care for them any more than we did.

The RAAF produced some later Beauforts with P&W R1830s but these were just equivalents of the RAF's Mk.II.  Possibly the actual engine variant differed a little.   They certainly kept on producing them and put them to good use.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2021 at 6:23 AM, raafbloke said:

G'day Modellers,

Cheers, 

Bill Halliwell 

Hope you have found a Caribou by now but if not just seen this one on ebay.uk.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/194077397333?hash=item2d2fea1155:g:cQYAAOSwsYNgi1k6

Not a brand I know but looks like the Hobby Craft moulds to me.

Cheers

Chris

On 4/30/2021 at 11:14 AM, chrisov said:

Hope you have found a Caribou by now but if not just seen this one on ebay.uk.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/194077397333?hash=item2d2fea1155:g:cQYAAOSwsYNgi1k6

Not a brand I know but looks like the Hobby Craft moulds to me.

Cheers

Chris

The brand is Idea from S Korea. They made a lot of Hobbycraft’s molds. However, I did not realise that they had released the Caribou kit under their own label.

• Thanks 1

Hi

going back on thread topic,

just got some 1:48 beaufort 32otu decals by Tasman

coming from Oz via ebay

cheers

jerty

On 4/21/2021 at 11:25 PM, Graham Boak said:

I don't think that the Russians got any Beauforts:  none spare for one reason.  They did take over some Hampden torpedo bombers which they put to reasonable use, and some Albemarles which they were welcome to but didn't care for them any more than we did.

The RAAF produced some later Beauforts with P&W R1830s but these were just equivalents of the RAF's Mk.II.  Possibly the actual engine variant differed a little.   They certainly kept on producing them and put them to good use.

all DAP beauforts had P&W R1830's there were a few more changes including turret and fin.

2 hours ago, oz rb fan said:

all DAP beauforts had P&W R1830's there were a few more changes including turret and fin.

Hi

Can't wait to see the sprue photos when they eventually come out 

To see if they intend to do multiple marks of beauforts 

like their 88's and 111's etc 

cheers

jerry 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

The brand is Idea from S Korea. They made a lot of Hobbycraft’s molds. However, I did not realise that they had released the Caribou kit under their own label.

Hobbycraft kits were available packaged as Idea on the domestic market in the late 80's/90s.

The sprues were indistinguishable from the Hobbycraft kits.

Certain Japanese kits, including Hasegawa were available in Idea packaging at the time, the sprue layouts were identical but the detail was a lot softer. 

On 4/21/2021 at 11:25 PM, Graham Boak said:

Some - around 700 airframes is more than some I would think.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dave Swindell said:

Certain Japanese kits, including Hasegawa were available in Idea packaging at the time, the sprue layouts were identical but the detail was a lot softer

Some Fujimi kits as well - I've got a CH-46 in an Idea box, looks just as nice as the Fujimi kit.

10 hours ago, Biggles81 said:

Some - around 700 airframes is more than some I would think.

Hi

Surely that is enough numbers for another variant by ICM 

after all only 116 whirlwinds produced sold many kits for a few manufactures 

( maybe mainly bought by me) 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry