1/48 - Bristol Beaufort Mk.I/IA by ICM - Mk.I & Mk.IA released - new Mk.I boxing in Q2 2024

Homebee

6 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Have you seen the plastic then or are you just referring to the boxart?

I haven't any other info except of boxart. But, if the manufacturer can't find proper picture of the subject (it takes me 2 minutes...) for the catalog...I'm not excited at all.  But I hope to see the plastic shape is correct in the future.

Just ordered the Airfix kit -looks like they made their homework better (including the boxart) and from the start of the project.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

I haven't any other info except of boxart. But, if the manufacturer can't find proper picture of the subject (it takes me 2 minutes...) for the catalog...I'm not excited at all.  But I hope to see the plastic shape is correct in the future.

Just ordered the Airfix kit -looks like they made their homework better (including the boxart) and from the start of the project.

Well quite often early pictures in catalogues ae just place holders and sometimes are the wrong version and even if it's the box art what does it matter? It maybe be a better kit then the Airfix one you can't tell that from the box art, after all some really bad kits have had great box art all they do is sucker people in to buying a poor kit.

• Like 5

Hi 

At least with ICM I personally have no worries about the clear parts being totally clear. 

Unlike a few of my last airfix kits. 

Cheers 

Jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
Typo
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

To each their own. I thought it was a bit weird to raise that as concern without concrete info - cad or sprue shots.

Isn't the boxart wrong? Isn't it's used by ICM in their official catalog? This is enough for me to arise this question. 

8 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Have I missed something?
When did Airfix announce a 1/48 Beaufort?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Have you seen the plastic or CAD renders then or are you just referring to the boxart?

This is some sort of p-take, isn't it?  That's not a box-art, it's a very well known wartime photo.

26 minutes ago, Dave Batt said:

This is some sort of p-take, isn't it?  That's not a box-art, it's a very well known wartime photo.

Actually I think he means that this is what he was comparing the box art to. I must say, it would never occur to me to be concerned about which kit was better or released first when the scale differs. Apart from anything else I'll likely only buy the one in the scale I prefer (unless it's a Bristol Fighter, when all reason goes out of the window).

Paul.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, flarpen said:

When did Airfix announce a 1/48 Beaufort?

I never wrote nothing about Airfix Beaufort in 1/48. I compared it to the Airfix 1/72. I prefer to build the better representation of the subject in smaller scale (example Hasegawa's better detailed and engineered B-26 vs Monogram B-26 in 1/48). 

And yes-I compared the ICM boxart with the photo of the real aircraft in almost same aspect.

1 hour ago, Dave Batt said:

No it's clearly a painting in the ICM catalog. Go back and read was has been posted.

spacer.png

Hi 

Just looked at the catalogue the 1:48 A-26 painting has one wing bigger than the other 

Hilarious 🤣

Can't wait to get my mitts on the Beaufort, If it is anything like JU-88's  I have it will be great 

Cheers.  

Jerry 

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, cema_ga said:

The thing is that no one builds the box art. The plastic in the box is what matters.

• Like 11

21 hours ago, cema_ga said:

Isn't the boxart wrong? Isn't it's used by ICM in their official catalog? This is enough for me to arise this question. 

Like... seriously?

Boxart is commissioned by marketing, the artist provides the initial illustration. The illustration may be revised, changed, there may be several versions. The CAD team has nothing to do with this and has no influence on it. The relationship between the quality of the illustration and the quality of the parts is literally nonexistent.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Like... seriously?

Boxart is commissioned by marketing, the artist provides the initial illustration. The illustration may be revised, changed, there may be several versions. The CAD team has nothing to do with this and has no influence on it. The relationship between the quality of the illustration and the quality of the parts is literally nonexistent.

Haven't you heard? Some of the top companies are now working from artist's rendering for the  basis of their CAD. This is what Trumpeter are using for their latest kit - spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

22 hours ago, Tbolt said:

No it's clearly a painting in the ICM catalog. Go back and read was has been posted.

spacer.png

Er, that wasn't the image shown in the posting to which I referred.

Remember the initial box art to Airfix’s 1/72 Lightning F.6... it had no hori stabs!!  Thankfully, the included sprues did include these important parts, so I wouldn’t use any box art as a barometer for kit accuracy. Roy Huxley seemed to always make Matchbox kits look a lot better than the plastic included.

Cheers.. Dave 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dave Batt said:

Er, that wasn't the image shown in the posting to which I referred.

Yes but I was referring to the boxart, then you said" That's not a box-art, it's a very well known wartime photo." But I was asking cema-ga why he was comparing the boxart to that photo and you asked if I was taking the p*ss as it's photo??? So why did you ask me that? You seem to think I was referring to the photo instead of the boxart.

Chaps please let’s not get too excited over inaccurate box art. As a collector of aviation art I can see that neither Philip West or Robert Taylor was commissioned here and often the commercial artist misses the finer or not so finer points of the airframe. I suppose that’s why Roy Cross’s box tops are so well admired. 

As has been said one imagines or at least hopes the mould design and manufacturing process gets it right even if the box art is a bit  iffy. I get the concern too that if the shape error is not picked up on the box art it might bode ill for the box contents   

All said and done it might be best waiting rather than speculating and ending up having a pop at each other in the process?

• Like 8