1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released

Homebee

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 19:10, Thomas V. said:

Saw your reply late, I have first B boxing, and from the outset sonething looked wrong nose wise, compared to Promodeler kit its almost 6 mm short, now some did mention that Promodeler kit has too long gun nose, compared to what sources I have  ( Squadron Signal in Action as well as few online souces without confirmed provenance)

all mentioned above show discrepancy of 4-5mm, when comparing real aircraft pics to ICM kit- in my view it screams out.

It is a late reply but I have taken some measurements as I have the Monogram and ICM kit and also the Paragon and Ozmods nose and guess what the nose is too short!!

It is an mere three millimeters short on the gun section but the shape is pretty much correct.
The Ozmods and Paragon were correct in lenght but shapewise a bit iffy.

The wrong length on the Monogram is in the fuselage section in front of the cockpit.

I found the shape of the panels on the ICM kit a bit strangelooking but this is because they are too short in length which is logical if you have a short nose and try to fit the same detail in a shorter area.

I measured it against a scaled picture of a direct side view of the nose on IF679 Special Kay.
Solution is simple by adding a 3MM thick plasticard shim and rescribe the panel lines and relocate the vents....

Noses are a difficult and a frustrating item and this why a lot of people do a nose job nowadays 😁

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:05 AM, janneman36 said:

It is a late reply but I have taken some measurements as I have the Monogram and ICM kit and also the Paragon and Ozmods nose and guess what the nose is too short!!

It is an mere three millimeters short on the gun section but the shape is pretty much correct.
The Ozmods and Paragon were correct in lenght but shapewise a bit iffy.

The wrong length on the Monogram is in the fuselage section in front of the cockpit.

I found the shape of the panels on the ICM kit a bit strangelooking but this is because they are too short in length which is logical if you have a short nose and try to fit the same detail in a shorter area.

I measured it against a scaled picture of a direct side view of the nose on IF679 Special Kay.
Solution is simple by adding a 3MM thick plasticard shim and rescribe the panel lines and relocate the vents....

Noses are a difficult and a frustrating item and this why a lot of people do a nose job nowadays 😁

cheers, Jan

Others (on the B-26 facebook group) have measured the nose to be of correct length (within 10th of millimeters), and they were judging from the real deal, not just kits and resin parts. I think it goes to show that you cannot be certain unless some kind of proof is posted (it was posted in the fb group).

Jens

• Like 4

Does anyone have, or where can I get just the props for this plane? Doesn't have to be ICM either. I want to convert an early B-26 into a VIP plane and want the square tip three blade props. Or would there be something else to use?

One other question, is there a good 1/72 B-26K?

9 hours ago, Jens said:

Others (on the B-26 facebook group) have measured the nose to be of correct length (within 10th of millimeters), and they were judging from the real deal, not just kits and resin parts. I think it goes to show that you cannot be certain unless some kind of proof is posted (it was posted in the fb group).

Jens

If you have the link that would be appreciated..

They probably have measured it correctly but what have they measured! Just the nose or tip to cockpit window?

What I did in measuring is the ICM kit against a good picture and if you have the correct outline on the rest of the airframe (this case an ICM K Invader) and all looks correct except for the nose lenght i tend to believe it to be a pretty accurate outcome (and not within the 10 of a mill.)
I do know that pictures can cropped wrongly as well so there can be a discrepancy (uncertainty)😁
Those other noses weren’t my reference in measuring but they do match up with that picture in lenght.
Seen the Icm A-26 and B26-b build up but the nose still looks off to me.

If am wrong then I’ll be wrong but this was my outcome with the information a have😉

Thanks a lot  for the input Jens this is always appreciated.

my best regards, Jan

1 hour ago, busnproplinerfan said:

One other question, is there a good 1/72 B-26K?

The only one Im aware of is the older Italeri B-26K. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/italeri-1249-b-26k-counter-invader--104122#

a build review.

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/us/b26.htm

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Does anyone have, or where can I get just the props for this plane? Doesn't have to be ICM either. I want to convert an early B-26 into a VIP plane and want the square tip three blade props. Or would there be something else to use?

Flat ended resin blades are included as single pieces in the OZ Mods 1/48 A-26K conversion intended to replace those on the Revell/Monogram propellor hubs.

I have a set of the blades going spare if you would like to try , pm mailing address if you would like me to send them.

On 11/8/2021 at 12:14 PM, Jens said:

Jens

As per this Hyperscale thread, the FB info is a bit out of date and now provisional pending further data: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/icm-1-48-b-26b-k-8-gun-nose-t526837.html

Jon

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jon Bryon said:

As per this Hyperscale thread, the FB info is a bit out of date and now provisional pending further data: https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/icm-1-48-b-26b-k-8-gun-nose-t526837.html

Jon

Thank you Jon as this is a very interesting read, it seems that most had the same findings as I had but the actual measure data says something different so there maybe more going on whats tricks us in seeing things being off shape!

Very  interesting😁

cheers, Jan

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released -new boxing in December 2021
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released - new boxing in December 2021
  • 4 weeks later...

Just saw somebody on FB who had moved the wing rearward on this.

But according to this 

A26_comparison_small

The wing and canopy are in the right place.

Must say I've no idea where Sergey got his 'reference' drawing from though.(DOH'...it says in the drawing...🙄)

Edited by Bozothenutter
Idiocy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released - new boxing Q2 2022
  • 3 weeks later...

Of interest in Hyperscale: ICM B-26K Invader - An Analysis of 8-gun Nose Dimensions

https://www.hyperscale.com/2022/b26knosejh_1.htm

b26knosejh-008.jpg

It's also rumoured Russian producer Vector Resin (https://www.facebook.com/Vector-Resin-1921724494743386) is preparing a nose correction set for this kit.

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released - new boxing May 2022

It is a Congo colorscheme but if they would cover the whole subject a glass nose and the early Panama based schemes would be appreciated or even including the spinners of the prototype 😁..

Or am I being greedy😇

Great boxart by the way 👍

Cheers, Jan

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Douglas B-26K Counter Invader by ICM - released
  • 3 weeks later...
On 4/16/2021 at 1:22 AM, dragonlanceHR said:

Except that the Monogram B nose is too long?

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/264086-monogram-148-a-26-issues/

"Metal nose is way too long (should be 63 inches long or 33.3mm in 48-th, Monogram - 40mm)."

That is the problem with those "nostalgia kits" - their accuracy is taken as granted.

Agree, over the years I have noticed many think the nostalgic kits were the standard to follow. Modelers have become accustomed to those kits as the set standard, when in many cases they are not the standard.