Mojo restorer ( hopefully )

Hi Mark,  I had thought about the thickness of the the paint so it was well thinned and applied in a couple of layers. After the last pictures I stippled on some intermediate blue which was thicker so I went over it with a brush dipped in IPA to flatten it out and blend it in.

John

• Like 2

Pleased to hear you're able to spray again John and plug some orifices to boot (fnaar!) :) 

Like others, interested to see how the mottling turns out. I always mess up pre-shading so keeping my fingers crossed for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The best laid plans etc.

I used Xtracrylix for the dark blue/grey colour and my first mistake was to thin it by 30% having forgotten that Xtracrylix recommends 15-20% so it ran off like water. I adjusted the mix and started again and initially all went well. I tried the tailplanes first and got to the stage where the pre-shading was still just a little too prominent and gave it one more thin coat and the marbling  disappeared leaving just a hint of the black on the panel lines, so I settled for that. OK I thought,  I’ll try the wings, where I managed to cover everything completely.  At this point I decided that pre-shading is not for me and I’ll revert to my usual post shading and Flory washes and put it in my ‘ drying box ‘ to keep the dust off, and went off to feed the horses. When I returned I found that the something had reacted with the Xtracrylix on the port wing and caused the mess you can see, and the other wing had dried patchy.

IMG_2241

This afternoon I cleaned off the port wing which took off the primer also, so tomorrow I’ll re-prime it and repaint everything except the tailplanes.

IMG_2242

Strangely I’ve remained quite calm about the whole thing and not been tempted to throw it against a wall or jump up and down on it, the Vallium must be working at last.

That’s it for now, feel free to comment.

Stay safe.

John. :pilot:

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

Best laid plans…

Bad luck John - I don't have any luck pre-shading so I'm sticking to post-shading and Flory, when I can be bothered.

Pleased to hear you kept calm though - good man :) 

• Thanks 1

That's very odd, John :confused: I always preshade, with Tamiya acrylics, and go over that with any kind of paint. I do gloss coat before washes/weathering,  though - and I've never used Flory washes, so no ideas about what could have happened there.

Still, like the others said, KUDOS for not throwing the model away and persevere,  I'm sure you'll fix it :thumbsup:

Ciao 

• Like 1

Thanks for the sympathy guys. My initial thought was that the Lifecolour paints had reacted with the Xtracrylix, but it was on both wings and tailplanes so why only one wing? It will have to remain a mystery because I won’t be trying that particular experiment again soon.

John'

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Thanks for the sympathy guys. My initial thought was that the Lifecolour paints had reacted with the Xtracrylix, but it was on both wings and tailplanes so why only one wing? It will have to remain a mystery because I won’t be trying that particular experiment again soon.

John'

I had an issue with Lifecolor before when trying to brush Klear over it, it went like your wing. It's the only acrylic I've ever used that didn't like being Klear coated, so maybe that's the issue? If I remember correctly, it wasn't a uniform problem, like yours it only affected part of the paintwork. 

• Like 2

Success!

I re-primed the port wing this morning and re-painted everything this afternoon and it looks good so far. It's been a long time since I've sprayed Xtracrylix, I tend to use it for brush painting, and I didn't read the instructions. :banghead: I'll post some pictures when I have something to show.

Stay safe everyone .

John

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Not much time for modelling lately I’m afraid, we are having a new patio installed in our garden extension and still have quite a lot to do before then, and taking advantage of the dry weather.

I first concentrated on completing the undercarriage legs. The nose leg comes in two parts, both of which needed quite a bit of cleaning up before installation, and a strut which runs from it into the wheel bay, and I managed to lose about half an hour of what little time I had searching for the lower half after I lost it last Thursday, I also had SWMBO looking for it, she usually finds thing almost immediately but not this time, and I eventually gave up and resigned myself to the fact that I would have to adapt something from another kit or try to make a replacement. On Friday I found the missing part attached to a finger of the cotton glove I had been wearing when handling the aircraft. The lower parts of the main legs have oleo struts between them and the upper legs which are too long meaning that the lower’ knuckle ‘ part hangs down at about 60deg to the vertical which would give the aircraft a distinct appearance of standing on tip toes whereas my walkaround photos show them to be closer to horizontal when under load so the struts have been shortened slightly to adjust the angle.  I have also painted the wheels and tyres with Mr Colour Aluminium and Tamiya Rubber Black respectively and sandwiched the wheels between the tyres ready for final painting and weathering.

IMG_2250

I have not used Kinetic decals for some time and could not remember if/how they responded to setting solutions so put a spare on my paint mule which did not conform with any panel lines so I tried Micro Sol which had no effect at all followed by Humbrol Clearfix which I tried on another decal, and had a little effect but not as much as I’d hoped so I tried embedding the underwing decals with Kleer as recommended by @stevehnz and the result is better, although it has left some residue which I hope will either clean off or disappear under a final coat of Kleer.

IMG_2255

The wing walkway lines come on five parts for each wing, so allowing a little drying time before adding adjacent sections they have been quite time consuming and as I’ve only been spending an hour or so in my cave each day, took a couple of days. They are still not settling into the panel lines as much as I would like so I think I will invest in some Daco Strong solution before my next Kinetic kit. They are also a little too bright, I think, and will need to be toned down a little before RFI.

IMG_2256

Apart from adding some more decals about the only other thing I’ve managed in the last couple of weeks is to paint some of the items on the clear sprue, namely the wing navigation lights red and green, the obstruction lights red and the little ‘ windows ‘ which cover the emergency canopy release mechanisms white on their insides,  these are just above the smaller of the canopy and looking grey

IMG_2251

So another dab of white is required before I fix them in place and finish off the decals on the nose.

Not too far the go now, the seats are ready to install then the canopies, which I forgot to spray when I did the airframe! :banghead: After that there will be just the wheels, lights and a couple of aerial, so should be finished in about a month.

That’s it for now

John. :pilot:

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

They are still not settling into the panel lines as much as I would like

One of the reasons why I genuinely hate decals.... :badmood:

You model is looking great with them on, though :clap:And on the final stretch too - looking forward to see her completed :popcorn:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

One of the reasons why I genuinely hate decals.... :badmood:

I know you prefer to paint the marking.

I might have managed the roundels and the orange/red patches but the walkway lines? I don't think so.

John

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Biggles87 said:

but the walkway lines? I don't think so.

Sadly, I don't have a solution for those. So when it happened to me, I had to put up with them. With a lot of patience. :D

Ciao

• Like 2

Nice save with the port wing, never stamp on a model! Just put it away until you fancy resurrecting it!

Looking good with some colour on her.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone. I don't know what it is with the Kinetic decals, they are thin enough but just don't want to conform to panel lines.

I got the little ' windows ' in yesterday so will hopefully finish applying the decals  today.

Stay safe everyone.

John

• Like 2

Hello John,

I missed the start of your thread and show up a bit late !!

Sorry about that !!

That's a great Alpha jet indeed !!

Well done..

I'm using Micro sol and Micro set for my decals...

Sometimes, I have to soak the decals again and again to finally get a good result...

Especially with the Tamiya's plywoode decals...

I'll try the kinetic ones on my SHar build...

Congrats my friend, can't wait to see the jet finished...

Sincerely.

Catching up CC

Been watching with interest as I'm doing a similar build at the moment, but with QinetiQ markings. Yours is definitely superior! If it helps, I found that Daco Strong works well with these decals - sol `n` set really didn't make any discernible difference, though the transfers themselves are prime examples of Cartograf loveliness.

Nearly there - looking forward to the RIF.

Q

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1