Advice on Buying New Pocher Kit

paulj

Hi

I have had a fleeting interest in Pocher model kits and don't own any, got close to buying the Aventador kit, and I won a Rolls Royce on eBay, but seller said it was damaged and didn't ship it (or offer a refund which was a bit of a nightmare). Have just found the new announcement of the Lotus 72D and this is one I am very keen to ger hold off.

It's just that not best of times for me to spend a lot on model kits, and would like to buy it in 6 months to a year's time. I am just a bit uneasy about what expected availability will be like after the kit is made available to the market. I am in to buying the large scale Tamiya releases, and they can be very difficult to get hold off. The Tyrell P34 released a few years back was only available for a couple of weeks after they were first available.

If anyone can give an idea of how long it would be available after release would be great, thanks.

I would think it’s unlikely to go on sale immediately. Hornby is announcing all its brands’ full 2021 ranges. We know from experience with Airfix that things announced in January, especially big ticket things, often don’t show up until December, or even the year after! You’ll probably have six months to save up before you even could buy one. That said, they do seem to run out... the Ducati and Huracan seem to be out of stock everywhere now. So I’d start squirelling away some money every month from now, and be ready to pounce when you can actually order one...

best,

M.

I see by your modeling interests that you have no race car experience. You may still make an excellent model of one but I would advise you of some facts.

There will be inevitable kit compromises which you will need to correct if you prize a high level of accuracy. You may not be satisfied with a possibly toy-like final product. Accuracy would demand very deep references. Seldom do these kits contain realistic plumbing, linkages, fasteners or accurate thicknesses of parts and panels - all highly visible on an open wheeled car. That's why the previous Hornby and some Pocher products have a thriving (and hugely expensive) trans-kit audience.

And the cost never ends with the purchase price of the kit. So take the time to do research, look at more presentation material and decide if it's what you wish. The entry price is already very high.

From what I've seen of Pocher kits out-of-the-box, I'd save my pennies and look at buying MFH. In the long run it will most likely be cheaper and they also do a far better range of race cars, with a great deal more detail.

• Like 2

If the original poster already has experience with 1/12th Tamiya reissues as he clearly states, I'd wait for a second-hand 72D in that scale to come along.  Even though it's a kit from the '70s its pretty accurate and likely 1/5th  $$$ of this new Pocher issue.  There are also some aftermarket items available to add details even further.  I built the 1/8th Grip/Entex years ago and the Tamiya tool is more detailed.

Edited by Cratecruncher
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/7/2021 at 6:55 AM, Sabrejet said:

From what I've seen of Pocher kits out-of-the-box, I'd save my pennies and look at buying MFH. In the long run it will most likely be cheaper and they also do a far better range of race cars, with a great deal more detail.

Ive built both and Pocher win hands down on detail. MFH are a tad overpriced imo and can be a mare to put together.

The last MFH I built was a Mclaren F1 road car,bits missing,poor fit and the decals were a joke,like cardboard.

I dont know of any MFH that the windows wind down,brakes work,lights work and engine etc turns over?

Just sayin...

3 hours ago, lespaul said:

Ive built both and Pocher win hands down on detail. MFH are a tad overpriced imo and can be a mare to put together.

The last MFH I built was a Mclaren F1 road car,bits missing,poor fit and the decals were a joke,like cardboard.

I dont know of any MFH that the windows wind down,brakes work,lights work and engine etc turns over?

Just sayin...

Never had these issues with MFH, and wind-down windows and moveable parts for me belong on kids' toys. Horses for courses I'm sure, but those Pocher kits are clunky compared to MFH. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Codger said:

Since the original poster has not revisited in four months, there is no indication he cares about our advice.

This may be a little bit unfair as he started a long thread elsewhere about major problems / cost of his 1:1 scale car.

3 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

This may be a little bit unfair as he started a long thread elsewhere about major problems / cost of his 1:1 scale car.

Absent the knowledge that he started another thread elsewhere, I stand by my thought. That does not negate the courtesy of acknowledging the advice to his question kindly contributed here by others. Or stating that he has addressed the subject elsewhere.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2021 at 7:56 PM, Sabrejet said:

Never had these issues with MFH, and wind-down windows and moveable parts for me belong on kids' toys. Horses for courses I'm sure, but those Pocher kits are clunky compared to MFH. 

Fair enough,I bought 1 1/12 scale Cosworth DFV,what a joke. The quality and the fit was so poor I sold it on e bay. The buyer messaged me and said now he knows why I sold it lol!!!

7 hours ago, lespaul said:

Fair enough,I bought 1 1/12 scale Cosworth DFV,what a joke. The quality and the fit was so poor I sold it on e bay. The buyer messaged me and said now he knows why I sold it lol!!!

I doubt you bought an MFH kit in that case: possibly a knock-off. It's often been said that if something fits wrong on an MFH kit then you've done something wrong.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

I doubt you bought an MFH kit in that case: possibly a knock-off. It's often been said that if something fits wrong on an MFH kit then you've done something wrong.

New quote on me?? Been building for 55 yrs. It wasnt a knock off,direct from Hiroboy. £120

The older classic Pochers did have issues but none the less, skilled modellers can make fantastic replicas from those old kits. A lot of abandoned projects come up on web sales simply because often the buyer was either an inexperienced modeller or a real car enthusiast not realising what they are taking on. On top of that modellers seeking old Pocher kits need to be aware of scams when buying on line.

Comparing with MFH kits?     A bit like chalk and cheese really. As far as I know MFH does not make any car kits in 1/8th scale. 

That said, I have seen beautiful models at shows built from both old and new Pochers and MFH. It really comes down to the skill set of the modeller as both brands are not for the faint hearted to take on!

Edited by Noel Smith
  • Like 1