Airfix Mosquito complete with weathering.....be gentle

Hi all,

Just a quick WIP of an almost completed Airfix Mosquito. I did this model as a teenager growing up so it’s nice to relive some old memories with it. 

After looking at some great inspirations on here I’ve decided to have a crack at weathering this model, just wondering what people’s thoughts are to my first go. As ever, any comments or criticisms are welcome. 

The reference photograph for exhaust marks.

50804877181_5fa73a0acf_b.jpg

My attempt

50804877536_32bd13d277_b.jpg

Please ignore the spinners, apparently that’s Humbrol Duck Egg Blue which I read the Mosquito spinners were....might repaint them medium sea grey or similar. 

Cheers,

James

• Like 8

I sealed in the finished top coat then just built up the weathering slowly. Used Flory wash as if you don't like it then rub off. 

So far looking good but when you've finished and happy then seal with a matt coat varnish. 

Great looking mossie 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, The Spadgent said:

Ooh I’ll tag along with your endeavours if that’s ok. What are you thinking of weathering with?

Johnny. 

I’ve got a mix of different Humbrol weathering powders. The ones I’ve chosen are smoke, black, dark earth, sand and white. Figured I should be able to make most combinations needed from that lot 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MarkdipXV711 said:

I sealed in the finished top coat then just built up the weathering slowly. Used Flory wash as if you don't like it then rub off. 

So far looking good but when you've finished and happy then seal with a matt coat varnish. 

Great looking mossie 

Thanks for the kind comments and advice. 
I sealed the paint with a coat of clear gloss before applying the decals and now weathering on top of that clear gloss. Seems to be going ok apart from the powder seems to come off a bit too easily when blending so might need a harder bristle brush to apply it with maybe? 
To seal it after I’ve got some Matt coat varnish that I didn’t have great results with first time on my Wellington but, always willing to give it another go

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

we need more photos before we can rip it to shreds, errr, . . . . I mean,  . . . .  praise you on your efforts

:lol:

Well I’ve only done the exhaust marks for now so I’m afraid you’ll have to “praise my efforts” on that photo 😂

I am going to dig out some more reference material tomorrow to see how the Mosquito weathered certainly in terms of underwing with the radiators and 57mm cannon. Then I’ll get brave and tackle those bits 

• Like 1

I think your exhaust stains look great. You might want to stain the rear part of the exhaust cover because It will have got hotter towards the back.

The spinners are weird - I believe they are Ocean Grey (same as the topside grey) but they always look like a slightly different colour in photos.

Apart from a little bit of oil streaking from the Merlins I would be tempted to keep it quite clean - I’ve never seen a photo of a filthy one!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Depending on what or how much you’re weathering I’d advise sealing your decals too with a gloss coat before going in.  Then when you’re happy apply a finishing coat. Are you brushing or Airbrush/rattle can top coat? Don’t forget to cover the canopy. Looking good. 🙌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James88 said:

Please ignore the spinners, apparently that’s Humbrol Duck Egg Blue which I read the Mosquito spinners were....might repaint them medium sea grey or similar. 

your colour pic is bomber Mosquito,  note they were Ocean Grey/Dark Green uppers over Medium Sea Grey.

Fighter Mosquitos were overall MSG, with DG disruptive, spinners MSG.

The gunk did get cleaned off, regularly, but Merlins leaked, a lot. 

This is Bomber Support unit one, which is filthy

17967041871_93060072b1_b.jpgMosquito ,   c1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr  

from the rear quarter

6818535229_9104e8cd1f_b.jpgMosquito in England. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

6016794413_4db1248762_b.jpgMosquito F B VI,         1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

No idea why the spinners are like this, 

more Mosquito colour here 

Flickr Search

Not as grubby. 

26 minutes ago, James88 said:

I am going to dig out some more reference material tomorrow to see how the Mosquito weathered certainly in terms of underwing with the radiators and 57mm cannon. Then I’ll get brave and tackle those bits 

I like oil paint thinned with lighter fuel, very thin washes, dries very fast.  Oil used neat can be streaked with lighter fuel as well, for oil stains.   gives a different effect to pastel chalks, which are similar to pigments in use.

HTH

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I think your exhaust stains look great. You might want to stain the rear part of the exhaust cover because It will have got hotter towards the back.

The spinners are weird - I believe they are Ocean Grey (same as the topside grey) but they always look like a slightly different colour in photos.

Apart from a little bit of oil streaking from the Merlins I would be tempted to keep it quite clean - I’ve never seen a photo of a filthy one!

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks it’s good to know I’ve not make a right hash up of it then 😁

The rear part of the exhaust cover is an area to get weathered tonight. The reply Troy left has been really helpful to get colour photos so I know what to do with them now.

Agreed that I've never seen a filthy Mosquito apart from the nacelles really so other than that I might keep it quite clean 

7 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Depending on what or how much you’re weathering I’d advise sealing your decals too with a gloss coat before going in.  Then when you’re happy apply a finishing coat. Are you brushing or Airbrush/rattle can top coat? Don’t forget to cover the canopy. Looking good. 🙌

100% agree about the gloss after decals. My normal method is gloss coat before decals and a gloss coat after to settle them. Got to choose whether to overseas the weathering with a gloss or matt varnish, from what I’ve read the common consensus seems to be matt varnish gives the best results. 
For the finishing coat I’ll be airbrushing it on I think as I find it’s easier to get a more even coverage without pooling at the leading/trailing edge 

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

your colour pic is bomber Mosquito,  note they were Ocean Grey/Dark Green uppers over Medium Sea Grey.

Fighter Mosquitos were overall MSG, with DG disruptive, spinners MSG.

The gunk did get cleaned off, regularly, but Merlins leaked, a lot. 

This is Bomber Support unit one, which is filthy

17967041871_93060072b1_b.jpgMosquito ,   c1944. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr  

from the rear quarter

6818535229_9104e8cd1f_b.jpgMosquito in England. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

6016794413_4db1248762_b.jpgMosquito F B VI,         1943. by Etienne du Plessis, on Flickr

No idea why the spinners are like this, 

more Mosquito colour here 

Flickr Search

Not as grubby. 

I like oil paint thinned with lighter fuel, very thin washes, dries very fast.  Oil used neat can be streaked with lighter fuel as well, for oil stains.   gives a different effect to pastel chalks, which are similar to pigments in use.

HTH

Thanks for the colour photos, going to be a huge help. 
Regards the colours I agree, the website I’ve been using is http://www.theworldwars.net/resources/resource.php?r=camo_rafww2#desertbomb which to me seems to be a nice handy place where everything is contained. I’ll have a crack at repainting the spinners and apart from the exhausts I don’t think I’ll leave it too filthy 

Little bit more progress tonight. Concentrated on the underside near the radiator outlets. Did a little bit of black shading there to try and represent a photo I found in reference material. 

50808297522_957364d801_b.jpg

Looking at the reference photo I have maybe feathered it a little too far rearwards. Live and learn. Always remember that fail is just your first attempt in learning. 

50808297547_eb342285a1_b.jpg

Again all comments are welcome, cheers 😁