Irish Spitfire T.9 colour question

Natter

Hi All,

I know the Irish Spitfire T.9 163 was in the grey green scheme, but does any one know if it was ever in silver?  I know 162 was in silver with a black anti-glare panel but I have only found photos of 163 in grey green.  Max Decal's 72-001 which I have has decals for 163 but I would rather not do the grey-green scheme if possible.  I haven't found the font for the Irish Air Corps letters and numbers so printing a 162 is out for now.  I suppose there is the option for modelling 161 in silver if 163 was only ever grey-green.

Can anyone help?

According to the excellent Wings Over Ireland: The Story of the Irish Air Corps (Donal MacCarron, Midland Publishing 1996) all airworthy Spitfires were repainted before they were eventually withdrawn from use in 1960/1961, with the probable exception of 160. This aircraft had been written off in 1957.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Dave

I agree with what Truro says Donal's book is an excellent reference point and if you can get hold of a copy of Joe Maxwell's (Maxdecals) Irish air Corps An illustrated Guide there are a number of silver Air Corps  T.9 photos in the book. 

Joe is on this site occasionally so you could message him directly. 

regards

Eamonn

As far as I know 163 was only ever in the grey-green. It was in that scheme when it was sold and given a UK registration. Of course it may have been silver at some stage but definitely grey-green when sold. I've seen photos of 162 in silver but not the others.

Best regards,

Joe

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

That's a stunning pic 251 any idea what year that was taken?  I believe 158 was also silver,

Could it be some were not painted because they were finishing their Air Corps service?

regards

Eamonn

Captioned as circa 1958.  More here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69197314@N03/albums/72157629097261185

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2