New OV10A Bronco from ICM , 1/48 scale, news from the 2021 program

gioca

1 hour ago, SleeperService said:

The FB images aren't the best quality but I hope it's more Yak-130 rather than Hind surface detailing.

This is Acrylic. Mike reviewed one of their sets for the German Marder AFV here;

I have the set for the A-26K in my review queue, and I purchased the set for the AH-1 Cobra, even at full RRP it was very reasonable.

Julien

6 hours ago, lesthegringo said:

Aqueous or lacquer based acylics?

I received two boxes, on each bottle is the following text: "FOR ADULT MODELERS ONLY. Water based acrylics for brush. For airbrush dilute with 40-60% water/thinner. Shake well. Made in Ukraine by ICM Holding."

I can see the similarity to Akan paints, but I can't say that they are definitely the same paints.

3 hours ago, SleeperService said:

The FB images aren't the best quality but I hope it's more Yak-130 rather than Hind surface detailing.

Whisper mode on: Yak-130 and Hind are from Zvezda, we talk about ICM ;)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Whisper mode on: Yak-130 and Hind are from Zvezda, we talk about ICM ;)

Hint taken. Thanks for not shouting it out. I meant as a general observation as I've seen the same comparison used elsewhere. 🙃

4 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Hint taken. Thanks for not shouting it out. I meant as a general observation as I've seen the same comparison used elsewhere. 🙃

TBH detail level on ICM kits is constant and personally I find it OK. Of course I would me more than happy to see riveting on WWII aircraft but well, at least panel lines are thin :D

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 9:49 AM, SleeperService said:

This is an ICM kit, the Yak-130 and Hind were Zvezda kits

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Piotr Mikolajski said:

TBH detail level on ICM kits is constant and personally I find it OK. Of course I would me more than happy to see riveting on WWII aircraft but well, at least panel lines are thin :D

And on the other side of the debate, I just love that ICM leaves out the rivets! I'd be a very happy man if all kits had surface detail like that on current ICM kits - particularly in 1/48 scale. 😀

2 hours ago, hopkp said:

I'd be a very happy man if all kits had surface detail like that on current ICM kits - particularly in 1/48 scale. 😀

Personally I can see the difference between older and newer aircraft. For me the period of WWII and shortly after falls into this older period, where planes should have rivets marked.

Planes built since the 1960s have rivets virtually invisible, so on their models I am happy to see no rivets and only some screws holding selected panels.

Sorry I don’t agree with your analysis of rivets Piotr. There have been many cases of raised rivets after 1945. And vies a verses the need for countersunk rivets stems from gaining further speed increases with the aircraft. So some thing like the hind does not require to be “flush riveted” I know from my aircraft engineering background that this can be different in ever case.

simon

• Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 4:32 PM, Piotr Mikolajski said:

Personally I can see the difference between older and newer aircraft. For me the period of WWII and shortly after falls into this older period, where planes should have rivets marked.

Planes built since the 1960s have rivets virtually invisible, so on their models I am happy to see no rivets and only some screws holding selected panels.

It all depends on the application.  Lots of raised rivets on an A-10

spacer.png

Not many on a P-51

spacer.png

• Like 4

16 hours ago, sammy da fish said:

Sorry I don’t agree with your analysis of rivets Piotr.

This is not an analysis. This is my personal approach and I thought I wrote quite clearly, using words "personally", "for me" and "I am happy". 

I don't really see the point in discussing rivets, and I especially don't see the point in posting pictures of aircraft that are not OV-10. The ICM kit will not have full riveting anyway, because ICM simply does not include that detail in their aircraft kits in any scale.

Edited by Piotr Mikolajski
Added quote

Released - ref. 48300 - North American OV-10A Bronco

https://icm.com.ua/2021/10/17/in-process-1-48-ov-10a-bronco/ &  https://icm.com.ua/aviation/ov-10a-bronco/

Instructions: https://icm.com.ua/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/48300_instr_web.pdf

Schemes & decals 

• OV-10A - 155471, Light Attack Squadron 4 (VAL-4) "Black Ponies" - BinhThuy, 1971
  • OV-1ОА - 155456, Marine Observation Squadron 6 (VMO-6) - Quang Tri, 1969
  • OV-10A - 67-14649, 20th Tactical Air Support Squadron - Da Nang, 1972
  • OV-10A - 155416. Marine Observation Squadron 2 (VMO-2) - Da Nang, 1969
  • OV-10A - 155416, Marine Observation Squadron 2 (VMO-2) - Da Nang, 1970

ICM-48300-OV-10-Bronco-14.jpg

ICM-48300-OV-10-Bronco-15.jpg

ICM-48300-OV-10-Bronco-16.jpg

ICM-48300-OV-10-Bronco-17.jpg

ICM-48300-OV-10-Bronco-18.jpg

ICM-48300-OV-10-Bronco-19.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Source: https://icm.com.ua/pack/vietnam-usaf-airfield-cessna-o-2a-ov-10a-bronco-us-pilots-ground-personnel-vietnam-war-5-figures/

Release on November 19th, 2021 - ref. DS4803 - Vietnam USAF Airfield: US Pilots & Ground Personnel (5 figures) + OV-10А Bronco + O-2A (late production) kits - Diorama Set.

ICMDS4803-1.jpg

48087.jpg

V.P.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Homebee said:

It looks like a serious sanding work and even more will be on the programme... 🧐

Sources:

https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=68170&start=14685#p2452072

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/ov-10/ov-10a_walk1.shtml

FB-IMG-1635272530186.jpg

Wow, that's really disappointing to see, it reminds me of Airfix kits I built as a kid in the 1960s. As someone else has already remarked, sanding sticks - heavy duty ones! - will definitely be needed.....

1 hour ago, marky sparky said:

Reducing rivets isn't a hard task. I'd say it's better to have then than not. Some people might have to learn how to make models instead of merely putting them together.

I agree it's not hard to do but those rivets look more in keeping with the Titanic than an aircraft. I think it would have been better if they'd just stuck to the lighly recessed ones everywhere. It looks like the heavy ones will need removing and then reinstated afterwards or it'll look odd.

• Like 1

On 13/10/2021 at 01:12, Piotr Mikolajski said:

. The ICM kit will not have full riveting anyway, because ICM simply does not include that detail in their aircraft kits in any scale.

Well having reviewed the ICM 1/32 Cobra I can assure you they do include rivet details in that;

c03.jpg

As for the Bronco, maybe they doo look a little over done, but I would rather have overdone detail I can tone down as opposed to the likes of the Zvesda Hind which is completely lacking in rivet detail, but thats just me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Julien said:

Well having reviewed the ICM 1/32 Cobra I can assure you they do include rivet details in that;

I did not say that ICM does not contain rivets. Here you can see them in He 111Z.

IMG-6048.jpg

I was talking about full riveting, which ICM has not done on any model so far. Whether it did on the OV-10 - I'll find out when I get the kit from ICM.

But if it's going to look like the pictures above, I guess recessed rivets or no rivets everywhere would look better. I hope that in 1/72 they will stay with recessed rivets.

• Like 1