Pocher 2021.... wow! Just one new kit, but it's a winner...

cmatthewbacon

Jadlam is trailing a new 1/8 Pocher Lotus 72D announced today in full JPS scheme for Fittipaldi's 1972 British GP car, priced at "only" £599... which is the same price as the 1/4 Ducati Panigale. With a bit of superdetailing you could probably give a $15K Amalgam model a run for its money (though they don't do a 72...)... The only other kit in the scale is an old Bandai/Entex, which goes for considerably more second hand. If you're into historic Formula One, or British and a certain age, there's probably no more iconic open wheel racing car...

best,

M.

• Like 2

Being over 50, trying to get rid of kits smaller than 1/12 and hear the call of 1/8.
There are some quite interesting kits in 1/8 scale, Cobra 427 S/C, Ferrari F40 Competizione, Mercedes SLR Uhlenhaut, MP4/4, 312T4, Lotus 72 D, M23, but I’d hate to get started with overpriced ill-fitting toy-like kit. 

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about this news, it's a very exciting change off direction for Pocher (if it happens!)

Despite having a couple of the Entex kits I've put a pre order in with Pocher, but it's going to be a long wait.

Stuart

45 minutes ago, Stu_davros said:

I'm surprised that more hasn't been said about this news, it's a very exciting change off direction for Pocher (if it happens!)

Despite having a couple of the Entex kits I've put a pre order in with Pocher, but it's going to be a long wait.

Stuart

Yes - 'if it happens'...

This is very likely a re-boxing of the 1/8 part-work kit from about 18 months ago in Italy.

Pocher did the same with the Eaglemoss Merc 300SL a few years ago.

They advertised it for some time and then it vanished from their website never to be seen again.

Hopefully this won't go the same way.

I too am wondering what happened to the 300SL project. Perhaps it was too expensive, using working lights etc.? Not sure if the moulds had already been finalized and whether we will ever hear from that undertaking again.

I'd like to share some reserve I just wrote down on another forum:

Although Pocher indeed states "new tool" I cannot help it but wonder whether that is true for all of the kit. If so, that would be very good news for the hobby.  EDIT 8 JANUARY: IT WILL INDEED BE A 100% NEW TOOL, SEE REACTION ON BEHALF OF POCHER BELOW.

But: 

- A comparison comes to mind. Revell's recent E-type kit (2020) was promoted as 'new tool'. Modellers have been left disappointed to find out that about the only thing that's new are the engine sprues. The rest of the kit is the old Heller (1978). Why then say 'new tool'? It suggests that all tooling was new. Pocher uses the same words 'new tool'. Perhaps this is the same strategy as Revell's. In their description (see here) they mention 'real rubber tyres'. Perhaps they made a new mould ONLY for the tyres and think that's enough to label their kit 'new tool'. Something to be wary of; and it would be the first time in the company's history that Pocher didn't design its own moulds. EDIT 9 JANUARY: THIS WAS AN ERRONEOUS REMARK OF MINE AS REGARDS REVELL'S E-TYPE KIT. SEE BELOW CMATTHEWBACON'S REMARK AS WELL AS MY RESPONSE TO HIS REMARK AND LINK TO HIS TOPIC WITH COMPARISONS BETWEEN REVELL'S AND HELLER'S KITS. MY APOLOGIES TO REVELL AND ALL FORUM READERS WHO FOUND THEMSELVES MISINFORMED BY MY ABOVE REMARK, FOR THE MISUNDERSTANDING AND UNTRUE INFORMATION (WHICH I WAS INCORRECTLY INFORMED TO BE TRUE). 

- Following the above, why did Pocher not use the words "100% new tooling"? 

- One more reason for restraint is... why of all thousands of possible subjects choose that one model that has already been done? One of the reasons why I'm working on the Delage is that nobody has done it before in 1/8, so that it will be a unique model. Few 1/8 models have been issued although there is a (niche) group of afficionados for that sale. It puzzles me greatly that of all possible choices, this was the one effectuated. Considering Pocher's current home (Hornby - England) one could have expected a British subject to be chosen, but why not a classic Williams F1 car? A Vanwall? A Benneton F1? Or if it must be a Lotus, why not Jim Clark's 25? Or supercars: the McLaren 720S? Mclaren F1? Jaguar XJ220? Even if no blueprints should exist, with modern electronic measuring and scanning techniques highly realistic moulding should be possible. 

This line of thoughts leads me to agreement with Don's reserve, until proven otherwise, that the new Pocher kit might well use the old Entex moulds (originally produced by the company 'Grip', see here). 

(From what I hear coming from a modeller who built the Entex kit, it is rather flawed)

• Sad 2

Hey guys,

I actually work for Pocher as the brand manager. Please look at our Facebook for updates but this is a 100% new tool. Made from scans of the real car at Classic Team Lotus. It bears no common parts nor lineage from the old Entex tooling at all. And certainly not related to any part work!

We choose it because we wanted to start a range of beautiful, iconic famous racing and road cars. This may not be your first choice, but we can always get to those in the future :)

I'm afraid the 300sl was before my time so unsure why it was cancelled!

The model is in development now, and watch our Facebook pages for more info! I'll check in here occasionally, but recommend our main social media channels for any burning queries you may have.

Thanks,

Simon

Edited by snowen250
text missing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

No problem! 

I wont be checking here that often, but so glad people are excited about the brand. We can never please all the people with one new tool a year, but i hope we can do stuff that gets people excited all the same. 

Hornby are investing in the brand, in fact Thursday next week im scanning the follow up to the Lotus, so expect some big things :)

Simon

• Thanks 1

For sure it is exciting news, from a legendary brand. Some aspects of the classic Pocher kits may have had their flaws but that is more or less true with any kit from any kit maker.

Following your 'one tool per year' remark, yesterday I made this overview of model kits issued by Pocher: 

CLASSIC POCHER I
- Fiat F2
- Alfa Romeo 8C (Monza and Spider Touring Gran Sport)
- Rolls Royce (Sedanca and Torpedo)
- Mercedes-Benz 500K / 540K
- Bugatti 50T

CLASSIC POCHER II
- Volvo F12 / F16
- Porsche 911
- Ferrari Testarossa
- Ferrari F40

HORNBY
- Lamborghini Aventador
- Lamborghini Huracan
- Ducati Panigale 1:4
- Lotus 72 F1

That makes the Lotus the 13th base model since 1966 (=averagely a new one each 4,2 years).

One could also look at it this way: if each half year a new moulding were announced and issued, the news of such would grow less exciting.

5 hours ago, snowen250 said:

Made from scans of the real car at Classic Team Lotus. It bears no common parts nor lineage from the old Entex tooling at all. And certainly not related to any part work!

Thanks for your input Simon, I think one thing Pocher needs is a brand manager to promote the name.

I love the 72D and am looking forward to seeing the end result. Also excited to hear what the next kit will be.

Cheers,

Stuart

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, snowen250 said:

Hey guys,

I actually work for Pocher as the brand manager. Please look at our Facebook for updates but this is a 100% new tool. Made from scans of the real car at Classic Team Lotus. It bears no common parts nor lineage from the old Entex tooling at all. And certainly not related to any part work!

We choose it because we wanted to start a range of beautiful, iconic famous racing and road cars. This may not be your first choice, but we can always get to those in the future :)

I'm afraid the 300sl was before my time so unsure why it was cancelled!

The model is in development now, and watch our Facebook pages for more info! I'll check in here occasionally, but recommend our main social media channels for any burning queries you may have.

Thanks,

Simon

I hope that youy will consider, as with other Pochers, offering the engine (and gearbox?) as a separate kit. The totally iconic Cosworth DFV/Hewland FG400...

21 hours ago, Roy vd M. said:

A comparison comes to mind. Revell's recent E-type kit (2020) was promoted as 'new tool'. Modellers have been left disappointed to find out that about the only thing that's new are the engine sprues. The rest of the kit is the old Heller (1978).

That’s simply not true. I have both kits, and recently posted a photographic comparison between the two here, and there are at least a couple of builds under way. A little bit of research would have quickly shown you that info is incorrect. If your information is coming from people who a spouting nonsense like that, I’d take everything else they say with a pinch of salt as well...

best,

M.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

A little bit of research would have quickly shown you that info is incorrect.

That's easily said.. my statement was the result of a discussion between three folks on another forum. All three were convinced at least some sprues were original Hellers. To be sure I googled for a comparison but could not find anything at that point in time. I have now looked at your comparison here:

If I see it correctly it only regards the body. It comes very clear that the bodies from both kits are very different. Could you also make a comparison of the chrome sprues? That's the part of the kit they literally said would be the same. 

Perhaps this topic about Pocher is not the place to go into deeper discussion about this though. I'll write a post in the comparison topic too, so that discussion can continue there. 

EDIT: previous post rectified and apologies added.

• Thanks 1

On 08/01/2021 at 14:39, snowen250 said:

No problem! 

I wont be checking here that often, but so glad people are excited about the brand. We can never please all the people with one new tool a year, but i hope we can do stuff that gets people excited all the same. 

Hornby are investing in the brand, in fact Thursday next week im scanning the follow up to the Lotus, so expect some big things :)

Simon

Hi Simon,

The most iconic F1 car of them all, Lotus 49 would be a safe bet and welcomed by modellers vastly.

Edited by Matt Crane
  • Like 1

The new Lotus 72D priced at 'only' £599? I would expect it to be top notch if I were shelling out that sort of cash!    Interesting subject though.

Personally I would have liked to see a classic racer like the Bugatti Type 59 or Type 35B done, but realistically I would guess that the F1 car would have wider appeal.

If Pocher were to look at road going classics again, a Duesenberg SJ Phaeton or the Bugatti Type 41 Royale with the Weinberger Body would be fantastic.   Ahh! Wishful thinking!

• 8 months later...
22 hours ago, Matt Crane said:

Any idea about the release date of the 72D or Panigale Final edition?

Hope you've been saving in the meantime as the price is now £719.99 for the Lotus and is due Winter 2022. 

I just looked at their website  https://uk.pocher.com/products/lotus-72d-1972-british-gp-emerson-fittipaldi-hk114?

...and the Panigale is available now.

Edited by JamesP

1 hour ago, JamesP said:

Hope you've been saving in the meantime as the price is now £719.99 for the Lotus and is due Winter 2022. 

I just looked at their website  https://uk.pocher.com/products/lotus-72d-1972-british-gp-emerson-fittipaldi-hk114?

...and the Panigale is available now.

Yes, I have :) 

Noticed that Panigale is open for orders on Pocher site, has anyone received one yet?

• 1 year later...

Just had notification today that my pre-ordered Lotus is ready to ship, they have taken payment honouring the original pre-order price.

Just 2 years after placing the pre-order.

I look forward to seeing this after Christmas.

Stuart

• Like 1