Whirlybird 1/72 Bell X-5

My first completed build of 2021. This is the Whirlybird Bell X-5. The X-5 was based on the incomplete  Messerschmitt P.1101, and was the first variable swing wing aircraft to fly. Unlike modern swing wing aircraft the X-5 wing would move forward and back as the sweep changed to maintain center of gravity and pressure. Despite that it proved a successful test aircraft. Except for vicious spin characteristics which caused the destruction of one aircraft and the life of the test pilot.

This is my first Whirlybird kit and I would rate the at or maybe a bit better the Anigrand, with the same overly deep and wide panel lines, and altogether superior to the Mach 2 effort, The resin was smooth and devoid of pinholes except for the area around the pour line of the main fuselage. The kit had a single piece solid resin fuselage, a nice ejection seat, 2 vac canopies that had clear demarcation lines of where to cut, so  rather crude white metal landing gear, and excellent decals. There was no need for additional weight in the nose, which was good since there was no where to put it. 

So here it is:

FtSTm90d_o.jpg

XUwU9uCB_o.jpg

fqQmkbCg_o.jpg

nd1wjIFJ_o.jpg

HEbdNbZE_o.jpg

wBYYBnIH_o.jpg

Next up is the Hasegawa EA-18G Growler

Enjoy.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Neat model of an important flying testbed!

I have to say that the surface "detail" looks as if Whirlybird had used a built-up vacform as the master… 😉

Nice overall effect, though, thanks to your great looking finish!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

I have to say that the surface "detail" looks as if Whirlybird had used a built-up vacform as the master…

Some of the softness of the details is probably my fault between sanding and trying to fill in the deep trenches of the panel lines.

Thanks

Howard

• Like 1

An impressive result given the fact that this was surely a quite complicated build. The X-5 is an unique prototype that is rarely seen as a finished model and really bears a great resemblance to the Messerschmitt P. 1101. 

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 112 Squadron said:

The X-5 is an unique prototype that is rarely seen as a finished model

Special Hobby and Anigrand do a good job of covering the better known X-Planes, but for the more obscure ones like the X-5 the only alternatives were Mach 2 or vac and both of those can be a bit discouraging. The Whirlybird resin with the single piece fuselage wasn't a bad build.

Thanks 

• Thanks 1