Question— Blenheim nightfighter action in Iraq 1941

28ZComeback

Hello all, 

In reviewing the new book on the air war in Iraq, 1941 I ran across a reference to an intercept by a Blenheim nightfighter.  Can anyone comment on whether any Blenheims in Iraq were painted in the overall black scheme?  Thank you very much. 

I’d be surprised if they had proper nightfighters to spare from the UK best in 1941 so I suspect in this case the term has been liberally applied to the luckless chaps sent up in a bog standard Blenheim at night.

On 1/5/2021 at 9:16 PM, 28ZComeback said:

Scary thought that Blenheim fighters were the best aircraft available in 1941 in Iraq. 

They brought in Wellingtons & Hurricanes following the Rashid Ali coup & siege of Habbaniya.

Lots of familiar names cropping up if you include the army & navy commands as well.

• Thanks 1

There were two black Blenheim`s that I`m aware of in the Middle East,.. but one was a hack with 89 Sqn equipped with Beaufighter`s;

http://www.thescale.info/news/publish/shark-mouth-blenheim.shtml

and the other was with 1 Check and Conversion Unit,.... which features in this decal sheet, bearing the number 33;.

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72203

I would say that the Blenheim in Iraq was wearing standard daytime colours.  

Does anyone know anything about the “11/14 combined squadron” profile on that sheet? Though both squadrons were in the same region there all the images of that aircraft I’ve seen describe it as 14 squadron.

I agree with Tony O'T. I suspect they were in day fighter colours. I have a book by Sqd Leader Dudgeon who was there which might be revealing. 

But the book itself is sitting in storage on the other side of the city until our new house is ready to move into. 

Vague memories suggest they were day fighters. 

I have a couple of of Dudgeon's books. All a great read. 

• Thanks 1