A returning Scots hobbyist.

Jock_Modeller

Hi all,

I thought that I'd pop on and say hello, seen as I'll no doubt be picking your minds about various techniques, hints and tips.

As a young teen I absolutely loved building model aircraft and hanging them from my bedroom ceiling (usually to return from school to find one line had came loose and the aircraft was in a flat spin 😂).

Back then I had no insight into simple things like thinning enamels and decal solutions (amen for those parts of the internet) and now want to try and see just how good I can get.  There are some absolute masters out there from what I've saw and would like to achieve even a slightly similar standard.

After a 15 year career in the Army and having either worked alongside a lot of aircraft and flown in nearly all of the British Military helicopters (lucky enough to get at the controls of a gazelle over NI), I've placed myself back into modelling.

I have completed my first in nearly 20 years (Airfix starter Messerschmitt BF109 - 1/72) and now onto the opposition (Airfix starter Spitfire Mk1a - 1/72).  I've used these as a test to ease back into the hobby with both ultimately going to my 6 year old son. Therefore I wasn't afraid to test techniques as no doubt they'll be broken soon enough.

I have a 1/72 Italeri AH64D Apache and Airfix De Havilland Tiger Moth (which I'm going to attempt to rig) waiting in the wings.  As part of a longer project I have some Airfix Afghan houses, British Army patrol and snatch land rovers which I aim to build into a diorama to recall some of the work I done over there.

So, that's where I'm at just now and thought that I'd share it with you all.  I look forward to seeing your works and hoping to learn a lot from you too.

Take care,

Bryan.

• Like 6

Welcome back, Bryan. Stand easy and take your time.

We're not in any rush and you have a lot of catching up to do.

A look through the threads should answer any questions, but don't hesitate to ask.

Hello Bryan... :post1: from across the pond in Chicago USA, I salute your service to your country. Please ask there are no bad questions, patience as it may take a little while for the right person to answer. I suggest maybe start a work in progress once you can upload photo’s. Members will stop by and chat, offer ideas, and answer questions about the kit you're working on. If you have any questions just quote me or add the @ in front of my screen name like this @Corsairfoxfouruncle it will get my attention either way. 

Dennis

• Like 1

Thanks @Corsairfoxfouruncle @dnl42 and Pete in Lincs.  It's nice to hear from like minded folks and always nice to be appreciated for my service.  I'll have a few pics from my first two builds up soon and look forward to the feedback.

Again, thanks for your replies and I'll no doubt bump into you at some point.

• Like 1